IT.COM

discuss How to handle domain plural variations.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Randy93

Established Member
Impact
What do you guys usually do when your desired domain has plural or singular variations. For example if payapp.com is taken payapps.com is available. Are there any complications registering trademark for plural names?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You need to do a bit more research ^^.

Payapp is way way way different from payapps

Payapp is what an app would call itself

PayApps sounds like an affiliate marketing site

•••
My question was not which one to choose, trying to understand trademark complications if any.

•••
My question was not which one to choose, trying to understand trademark complications if any.
Situational.

Obviously if the name is custom, like Zenbiga... then you can't get Zenbigas.

If it's something generic like Amazon and you get Amazons... it is also iffy. There is a likeness argument, but there is the same generic argument

•••
Trademark usually covers either exact match or deceptively close match.

In your example, PayApp & PayApps represent two different things.
Let's say, the first one has a trademark for a payment app and the second one's owner launches a blog site about payment apps. This is completely fine and would not be covered by the trademark.

However, if the usage is violated - like someone actually running a blog site about the payment app that was trademarked, then it's a trademark violation. So it's about likeness and use.

Last edited:
•••
BTW, even exact match may not be a trademark violation if the usage is different from what's covered by the trademark.

Examples:
Amazon = a tech, retail sales company. But also, Amazon = a jungle in south America.
Apple = a tech company. Apple = a fruit.

Both of these different usage can exist independently, there will be no trademark violation.

Take a look at Trademark Class to see if it's an obvious violation/conflict.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Simple:
You can reg any, but don't use brand logo, text...
If reg namepros .space name-pros .net and create almost same forum it will be,
but if used it for parking or personal portfolio, it shouldn't be so (as for me )

Not so simple, check here
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ho...t-seo-guys-doing-website-restoration.1309242/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/common-names-domain-trademark.1308205/
or ask a pro like jberryhill

p.s. Randy, if I'll reg domtry.net, will you sue me? :xf.wink: :ROFL: :xf.cool:
domtry.net taken already lol :xf.grin:

•••
It may depend on the first keyword maybe, if it's generic dictionary word, then I don't care who owns ????app,com because I own a couple and prefer ????apps,com rather than ????app,com domains, however to have both would be better if you plan on developing a product or service.
If it's something like googleapp,com and you want googleapps,com I would stay away from such names!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back