IT.COM

How to get expired low interest domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

namenoob

Impact
A domain that could be useful to me expired (as in WHOIS expires date passed) a few days ago. The domain is probably only of interest to the current owner, one competitor and me. It is a com domain registered with ionos.

I'm a total noob to this, but as far as I understand what I've learned here:

1. Current owner might still decide to extend
2. ionos might take it or give it to one of their customers (backorder) [1]
3. ionos might give it to an auction house [2]
4. A drop catcher might catch it
5. It may really expire

From 1 to 5 it gets cheaper but increasingly more unlikely that the domain reaches this stage. Also I'm afraid that I'll get ripped off when I place a backorder or put the domain on the drop catchers' watchlist because this should be such a low interest domain and signaling my interest might prevent it from dropping eventually.

As a noob I have no idea what the chances are to reach one of the stages 1 to 5 and what the risks arr when I show interest. What do you recommend me to do? Wait, set it on snapnames watchlist, try and trust auction house (which? see [2]), try to backorder at ionos (how? see [1]), any combination, anything else?

[1] I could not find a way to place a backorder with ionos. If anyone knows if it is possible that would be helpful to know.

[2] I could not find out if ionos works with an auction house, but have the suspicion that cooperate with sedo.com. Also any hints appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wait until goes in pending deleted and then backorder it on Dropcatch.
However saying that a .com domain is of interest to 3 people in the world means to be a very very good magician.
We can suppose:
  • the owner is no more interested
  • Ionos business is not to backorder domains
  • you are interested so probably you can backorder it easily
But if the domain is a good keyword and/or has traffic, you will see much more than 3 offers for it ...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back