IT.COM

domains How Some BC and NFT Projects are Rebranding

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
As the bear market bites, crypto projects are abandoning terms like NFTs and Web3. Here's how branding experts think they should weather the storm.

It’s the technology that dare not speak its name.

Are you looking for NFTs on Reddit or Instagram? You’ll have much better luck searching for “digital collectibles” instead. Remember when blockchain was briefly sexy? The Bitcoin mining firm formerly known as Riot Blockchain recently rebranded itself as Riot Platforms. The World Economic Forum’s head of blockchain and digital assets, Brynly Llyr, has even suggested that the crypto space rebrand itself entirely around “decentralized systems.”

Crypto—and all its associated jargon—are now toxic words. Where once simply adding the word “blockchain” to your name increased your company’s valuation, now crypto, Web3, NFT and the rest of the buzzwords that conjured up images of a brave new world are, to paraphrase Charlie Munger, rat poison.

Even the word “metaverse”–

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, it would certainly put a cat amongst the domain pigeons if more companies were to follow suit, But this kind of one-off subjective market analysis comes around from time to time, It's certainly not a trend. I can't see Mark Zuckerberg abandoning the name Metaverse just yet - It's hardly off the ground.

Personally, and i down own any of these type of domains, I just view as 'National Enquirer' type headlines - (Daily Express in the UK) Nothing really going-on

•••
Interesting, haven't seen people hating on "Blockchain", anyone?
NFTs yeah, have seen some builders talking about getting rid of the term in project names

•••
nothing serious. NFTs with all those monkey usecases was def a flop model so people dont want to hear it more. now when someone tells me that they are launching nfts that monkey comes in my mind and its really make me off. masses dont like to collect art and they were trying to push it to masses. Art collection is a luxury, digital or non digital, not a solution of any problem. when nfts will have a solution for day to day problems it will be back in the game.

•••
The Bitcoin/Crypto/Eth/DeFi/Decentralized/DAO/Blockchain/Meta/NFT/Web 3 hype train came and went over 2 years ago.

The next hype train to arrive is Ai/Ar/Vr/Xr
That'll probably be leaving after 12 months.

•••
As the bear market bites, crypto projects are abandoning terms like NFTs and Web3. Here's how branding experts think they should weather the storm.

It’s the technology that dare not speak its name.

Are you looking for NFTs on Reddit or Instagram? You’ll have much better luck searching for “digital collectibles” instead. Remember when blockchain was briefly sexy? The Bitcoin mining firm formerly known as Riot Blockchain recently rebranded itself as Riot Platforms. The World Economic Forum’s head of blockchain and digital assets, Brynly Llyr, has even suggested that the crypto space rebrand itself entirely around “decentralized systems.”

Crypto—and all its associated jargon—are now toxic words. Where once simply adding the word “blockchain” to your name increased your company’s valuation, now crypto, Web3, NFT and the rest of the buzzwords that conjured up images of a brave new world are, to paraphrase Charlie Munger, rat poison.

Even the word “metaverse”–

read more

As someone in Web3 this is a bunch of Bullshit!

Anytime you have volatile markets this crap will happen.

Stocks are not scams, but there have been PLENTY of scams over the decades with fake pinklist otc , shady individuals creating fake companies to sell to others . Scamemrs will scam in any industry.

Granite, yes I've heard both arguments of this notion, but will say most of it comes from people on linkedin which is less "degen" in nature, true degens or on multiple platforms ..this article is trying to feed the marketing beast!....Yes some people are calling to change terms they don't like...the community that's built it....isn't going to stop calling Non-Fungible- Tokens - ..NFTs lol

WEB3, DEFI and NFTs are far from dead! NFT Twitter is ALIVE and active and BUILDING 24/7...anyone who's never been in a DISCORD channel , bought crypto, operated a digital wallet or lacks the know how ...shouldn't be able to speak on web3.....this isn't me going after you, you just sharing an article and I'm saying it's mad to create more FUD in the space...

New Web3 company brands and continue to pop up and will.....

As for the Blockchain thing ......LOL Blockchain is alive and well and folks still love it,...as for the name change to RIOT Platforms ....that makes since....why would anyone want to compete with BLOCKCHAIN.com LOL ....whom rebrand there new custodial wallet to "DeFi Wallet" this past week.

Niche = Niche

•••
The Bitcoin/Crypto/Eth/DeFi/Decentralized/DAO/Blockchain/Meta/NFT/Web 3 hype train came and went over 2 years ago.

The next hype train to arrive is Ai/Ar/Vr/Xr
That'll probably be leaving after 12 months.

lol .....DeFi is just getting warmed up! lol

For names avaible to sell, yes bitcoin/crypto/coin ..dried up ...as most names have sold..the Niche is alive though, it's part of Web3

Meta...hype has died, ..FB need say no more...although unrelated to FB I did have a large (K )offer on a Meta+ name last September (2022) this past fall...we couldn't reach an agreement......

Web3 Train? Web3 is still growing, the train is growing ....

ai is HOT right now.....( Good time for Ai names and niche)

ar/vr/xr been is a growing niche but the sales are trickling as they have been

DeFi is about to go Off as a niche, it's part of web3... I know of 3 nice sales this Q1
and I've been approached for +C/a/s/i/n/o 2x this years already....

For me at least it helps to live and breath and be active within the niches I also invest in .

Cheers and Good Luck to all!

Last edited:
•••
can't see Mark Zuckerberg abandoning the name Metaverse just yet - It's hardly off the ground.

He's already abandoning it and pivoting to AI, but quietly. The name Meta will probably stick though.

•••
•••
bear and bull come and go... u gotta be a stupid CEO to rebrand each time lol

•••
I'm sure that all of 5 people are bothered about NFTs being in the toilet.

As for metacurse, web3. I can see exactly why nobody wants anything to do with them. A mixture of tosh and lack of utility for both concepts. IE. Things nobody wants.

•••
I'm sure that all of 5 people are bothered about NFTs being in the toilet.

As for metacurse, web3. I can see exactly why nobody wants anything to do with them. A mixture of tosh and lack of utility for both concepts. IE. Things nobody wants.
So Fadtechs essentially

•••
•••
Looks like the crypto world is going through an identity crisis! 😂 Digital collectibles, decentralized systems... what's next? It's interesting to see how branding experts are helping crypto projects weather the bear market storm. Maybe we'll see some new, unexpected names in the space soon! 🤔

•••
I used to get upset at traditionalists but today just laugh. I'm by no means an NFT or web3 maximalist, although just recently purchased 7 tld.... but to say web3 is dead, NFTs are too, neither have no utility - is an entirely misleading and an incorrect statement.

Now, is 99% of all the aforementioned going to eat S#$t the same way the ico's did and .coms... YES! BUT that's just a natural cycle

•••
Back