Dynadot

advice How my new investment is also affected by Shane Bellone

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

heavend

Established Member
Impact
I’ve come across the original thread by @12no3 a few times and only now had time to read through it in more detail. I think it’s only right I post to clarify a few things.

I can confirm that I was a buyer of the 42 names that Shane sold on from the overall original 845 deal.

I feel these names been dirtied to some extent due to the way things have unfolded. I just want to clarify that I bought them before any of the shady stuff went down. It was a normal trade like any other and I’ve also been in touch with the victim (@12no3 ). He is aware and does not blame me for anything. I also let the moderators know about this and everyone agrees that I am also a victim, but advised me to
post here to clarify the details.

Here are more details for those who are interested:

In the beginning of December I chatted with Shane Bellone about his big collection of cvcv.in. He claimed at the time he owned 850 cvcv.in's and offered me to purchase some.

I decided to purchase 50 of them. At this time of course, I had no knowledge where the domain names came from, since I buy and sell 1000's / year and this kind issue never even crosses your mind. Besides, as I understood it at the time, Shane was a respectable domainer within a community.

I even paid with paypal without worrying about this transaction. Once I paid on December 12th, it took a while for transaction to complete.

Out of our deal of 50 domains 8 were from Shane's dynadot account from some other transactions and were pushed by Shane within 4-5 days. 42 remaining domains were from west.xyz, and had issues with transfer.

Shane blamed the registry, saying they were not letting them generate the transfer keys, etc. We had some discussions over PM chat, and he guaranteed the domains or money back, and since he was very well respected fellow within community I never doubted his words. From what I understood it took a lot of effort from him to get those transfer codes. He seem to be very upset with them and with the whole process. I am not an expert at west.xyz, and never worked with them before, but once again - I had little reason to doubt his words. On the 20th I finally got the codes from the registry in the email and started the transfer, which completed around 25th or so.

23rd Of December was the last time I received a PM from Shane, when I confirmed the codes are all set.

Once I learned bad news about the whole deal I contacted the Moderators as well as Seller to make sure we can try to contact Shane and ask him what has happen, but to no avail.

Everyone, including the original seller of 42 names has contacted me and told me I did nothing wrong, so I am posting this to clear the air so there would be no speculations regarding those names.

As a side note I guess you never know with paypal, and one should be careful to accept any payments above their comfort level from people they don't trust 100 % and I certainly learned my lesson there.

Thank you,
Alex Kogan

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe he ran into this 'trouble transferring' because of new 60 day transfer lock policy?

•••
Have you posted this in the main thread? If not, you should.

+edit:
If the reg codes were communicated by the registry on the 20th, and then discussed on the 23rd then the chargeback should have been halted at that time.

That would have been the appropriate action.

Last edited:
•••
I am just going to throw this out there. Is it possible you could file for a charge back with PayPal, claiming "not as described"? Then pay the true owner of the domains when the funds are returned to you. Imagine the irony.

I realize this may not be feasible, but I thought I would throw it out there as a possible solution. Sorry to hear you got caught in this mess. You clearly did nothing wrong.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe he ran into this 'trouble transferring' because of new 60 day transfer lock policy?

West.xyz mentioned that it's a reseller for *.in domains and there are sometimes delays in obtaining the transfer codes from host registrars.

Last edited:
•••
I am just going to throw this out there. Is it possible you could file for a charge back with PayPal, claiming "not as described"? Then pay the true owner of the domains when the funds are returned to you. Imagine the irony.

I realize this may not be feasible, but I thought I would throw it out there as a possible solution. Sorry to hear you got caught in this mess. You clearly did nothing wrong.
According to Shane - no, that was not an issue. I believe the original transfer back in September was a push, therefore 60 days rule did not apply, and regardless, I bought those 2.5 months later.

•••

I was contemplating this, however I don't think it would be right, since Shane did in fact transfer those names. I would not have a claim with paypal and it seems unethical to me. (not that I defend what Shane did)

•••
I was contemplating this, however I don't think it would be right, since Shane did in fact transfer those names. I would not have a claim with paypal and it seems unethical to me. (not that I defend what Shane did)
I would never suggest something unethical. My point is to get the money to the previous owner, who was ripped off in this whole fiasco, by Shane....Basically, it would be as if you purchased the domains from the previous owner instead of Shane. By doing this it would leave Shane with nothing, since he sold stolen goods. At the same time the victim in this scam would be reimbursed. Not sure how that could be considered unethical. In my town we call that "JUSTICE".....

•••
do not feel guilty of buying these names, you did not know anything, and shane has lost his reputation only for less than 6k usd, and reputation is all it matters in domaining.
btw, cvcv.in has grow in value recently so happy domaining.

•••
I would never suggest something unethical. My point is to get the money to the previous owner, who was ripped off in this whole fiasco, by Shane....Basically, it would be as if you purchased the domains from the previous owner instead of Shane. By doing this it would leave Shane with nothing, since he sold stolen goods. At the same time the victim in this scam would be reimbursed. Not sure how that could be considered unethical. In my town we call that "JUSTICE".....
I agree with general Justice - 110 %, and it would be really nice if Shane can come back and pay the money he made with the names sold on the side. As far as unethical - what I meant is - I am going to have to do charge-back for paypal and explain to the paypal that domains were not delivered, when they were, right? or something along those lines. ... Maybe unethical is a strong word - but something along the lines of not telling how things were, i guess.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with general Justice - 110 %, and it would be really nice if Shane can come back and pay the money he made with the names sold on the side. As far as unethical - what I meant is - I am going to have to do charge-back for paypal and explain to the paypal that domains were not delivered, when they were, right? or something along those lines. ... Maybe unethical is a strong word - but something along the lines of not telling how things were, i guess.
I did not intend to suggest you tell PayPal anything except for the truth. Just be honest with PayPal and see where it goes from there. Give it a try. If it does not work, fine. At least you tried. If it does work, all the better, justice served....Giving Shane a free pass on this, with no attempt to correct this, is more of an issue than anything in my book.

•••
To the OP!

So we can understand more about this deal and of course if you don't mind me asking "How much did you pay for the domain names?"

•••
Hey @heavend

Thanks for taking the time to come over and explain the situation.

Totally agree that you are also a victim in this whole mess.

Shane is the only one that has not bothered to explain himself yet..........guess there is no need for him to explain, it's clear what his modus operandi was.

•••
To the OP!

So we can understand more about this deal and of course if you don't mind me asking "How much did you pay for the domain names?"

The thing is, my deal with Shane was for 50 names. 8 of them were owned by Shane but had nothing to do with charge back by Shane (I understand from other domainers that Shane sold a few names, outside of the huge purchase he made in September), but I can ballpark the numbers for those 42 names if you are curious.

Our deal was: $525 total, which makes the cost of 42 names (assuming they are all even) - $441. Of course my total expense with these names was higher, since I paid $6.5/ name to transfer, so I paid: $850 total.

•••

The original owner of the domains and the receiver of the 42 or what ever could have worked together with PayPal proving that Shane's dispute was in fact fraud and they probably would have declined his request for a refund. Maybe even the entire amount..

With that being said probably to much time has passed, if I recall the dispute emails were over looked and never responded to. Good idea @Internet.Domains, might have worked within the time frame allowed.

I also thank @heavend for confirming what my gut was telling me from the git go within the other thread..

•••
I don't think you should dispute your transaction with Shane. I think you should provide all the information you can to the original seller and PayPal, maybe he might be able to get the $6K back by asking PayPal to reopen the investigation. You are surely the missing link in the chain.

Last edited:
•••
why don't open a west.cn account and have the names pushed in those cases?

•••
Michael cyborg , gonna drop you like a hot potato from his D SHERPA family now ,like he did his buddy adam,that actually made his show what it was. No loyalty from Michael

•••

No you tell them they are in dispute w/paypal charge back True
You still have time according to their policy
Wish you the best Thank you for coming forward
Cheers

Last edited:
•••
shane inquired about one of my domains a few months ago ,I think it was him looking for MasteringMastering .com that may explain his disappearance I get a funny feeling he may be somewhere scantly dressed in leather and high heels with an apple in his mouth

•••
Lol..would be hilarious if Shane ended up going to NamesCon....

•••
It is worthwhile for the participants here to alert Paypal about their concerns about B-S I mean S-B - that is not necessarily the same as creating a dispute or asking for a refund. For one you can point out to Paypal that a domain cannot be defective - you either own it or you don't. This could result in S-B being unable to use Paypal, at least protecting others in future.

•••
@carob I think SB could have multiple PP account. His paypal email as posted by someone is throwaway12345@gmail or something. If some domainers met him personally should come out. his image could be fake.

•••
@carob I think SB could have multiple PP account. His paypal email as posted by someone is throwaway12345@gmail or something. If some domainers met him personally should come out. his image could be fake.
he was on domain sherpa

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back