Dynadot

question How much would YOU ask for???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mcpherson

Established Member
Impact
I just picked up a dot com where the .net .org and .info all point to the same company. They are what looks to be a fairly large, publicly traded company. The TLD's that they own redirect to their company website which is their company name.

The dot com isn't their company name, it may be a product or service they offer and I checked with uspto.gov and don't see anything trademarked for the term.

So how much would you ask for the domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Impossible to answer if we dont know the name...

•••
If you just got it and they’ve had the related extensions for a while might mean they never wanted it. How did you get it - at drop, auction or hand reg? The easier is was for you pick it up the more likely they could have done the same and didn’t bother.

•••
It just became available (expired) yesterday.

•••
It just became available (expired) yesterday.
It was probably an renewal oversite by them. Just sit and wait then. I'm sure they'll come to you about it. (if they can find you.) Then you can tell how 'bad' they want it back.

•••
I've already contacted them and was emailed a phone number to call (the people who customer service say I should talk to) - but I don't know where to start negotiations if they ask me.

•••
start at $40k and work your way back from there.
I wouldn't settle for anything less then what you paid for it.

Seriously though, there is no way to help without knowing name.

•••
I've already contacted them and was emailed a phone number to call (the people who customer service say I should talk to) - but I don't know where to start negotiations if they ask me.
You have done a nob mistake. You should have waited for month & believe me, if they come upfront there are chances of getting higher ROI

•••
The dot com isn't their company name, it may be a product or service they offer and I checked with uspto.gov and don't see anything trademarked for the term.
"It may be"...you mean to say that you haven't run the name (without extension) in Google?

Any history of how much the "net" or "org" sold for...my rule of thumb is "com" usually worth ten times more..

Check https://namebio.com/ ( domain, keywords, etc)

Don't get greedy and lose a sale...
Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
They are probably going to drop the .net and .org also. Check reg dates.

•••
Anyway, whatever happens let us know don't just disappear on us after posing the matter. Thanks!

•••
•••
The phone number they gave me didn't work, I replied to their email and haven't heard anything back.

•••
•••
giphy.gif

•••
Anyway, whatever happens let us know don't just disappear on us after posing the matter. Thanks!

I got the contact info for the guy in the company that handles acquisitions and emailed him with no response. So for those of you who are wondering, the domain is revitworkshop DOT com

•••
Interesting. And you think a domain like that has value? If anything I think the Revit word might be a TM.

Last edited:
•••
Interesting. And you think a domain like that has value? If anything I think the Revit word might be a TM.

If you'll re-read the first post, both the .net and .org are owned by a large company - that's the only reason I regged it.

•••
I've followed this thread from the beginning, just a redirect, I made the comment notwithstanding that.

Last edited:
•••
Revit is software by Autodesk and the term "Revit" is a live TM in the US database. This domain was probably used at one time to register for their training sessions. I wouldn't expect anything from it. But at most, I would not contact them. Wait and see if they contact you, and hopefully not with a cease & desist notice.

•••
If someone here would care to put in the time with waybackmachine could find out exactly what the URL was used far. I suspect that such research will show that the domain was used for - nothing. As I’ve already mentioned the .org and .net are mere redirects.

You can't just jump in and buy domains without doing research, even at only eight bucks a pop it adds up. If this URL was registered but vacant and nothing ever there, there is a reason for that, and a reason why it was let go.

Last edited:
•••
Revit is software by Autodesk and the term "Revit" is a live TM in the US database. This domain was probably used at one time to register for their training sessions. I wouldn't expect anything from it. But at most, I would not contact them. Wait and see if they contact you, and hopefully not with a cease & desist notice.

Won't this be considered a trademark violation?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back