IT.COM

question How many ways to monetise traffic on a domain ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SCP Foundation

Established Member
Impact
Hi fellas
Does anyone know if there are multiple ways to monetise traffic on a domain ?
If yes then what is the one you think is the best ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Here's a list I compiled back in 2017, that's still viable today:
  • Pay per click
  • Pay per lead
  • Pay per impression
  • Pay per view
  • Live cam pay per minute
  • Sponsorship
  • Donations
  • eBooks
  • Stock image packs
  • Stock vector packs
  • Stock video packs
  • Software add-ons
  • Affiliate programs
  • Drop shipping
  • Paid newsletter
  • Paid membership
  • Paid webinar/podcast
  • Consulting service
  • Development service
  • Social media marketing service
  • Banner Ads
  • Inline contextual link ads
  • Paid training courses
  • Evaluation/Appraisal service
  • Upgrade options
  • Certification programs
  • Blog subscriptions (Lead gathering for future up-selling)
  • Video marketing service
  • Video editing service
  • Logo design service
  • Web design service
  • Banner design service
  • Business card design service
  • Illustration Service
  • Other design services
  • Webmaster/Management services
  • Article writing service
  • Blog commenting service
  • Guest blogging service
  • Bookmarking service
  • Paid Apps
  • Exclusive access area on your site
  • SEO/SEM services
  • Lead generating service
  • Brokerage service
  • Data-mining service
  • Forum posting/article sharing service
  • Popups/pop-unders (I don’t recommend these, very annoying to visitors)
  • Free downloads that require email (Lead gathering for future up-selling)
  • Domain names for sale section with Buy Now/Make Offer options
  • Domain parking (domain only)
  • Domain sales landers
  • Product review service
  • Job board with paid listings
  • Start your own affiliate program
  • Start a Royalties/Residuals program
  • And the list goes on and on.
If you pair the above list with the list I compiled back in 2005 of 247 different marketing techniques (Also still viable today), it could help you build out and maintain multiple revenue streams: https://www.namepros.com/threads/marketing-ideas-and-techniques.719211/

Keep in mind, what works for one may not work for another and results may vary.

Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
You can park it. Parking revenue share, from what I understand, is 99%/1%, which make me feel likeba fool. I dont park because I dont want to feel like a fool.

Affiliate programs. Very similar. Adblockers block cookies, cookies expire, and you get, what I consider as, small commission.

•••
Monetize which domain?
Which is the background?
Stories are different if the domain is a dictionary name, has an history, has backlinks, is a typos, is a tradermak, is a reg fee domain

•••
You can park it. Parking revenue share, from what I understand, is 99%/1%, which make me feel likeba fool. I dont park because I dont want to feel like a fool.

Affiliate programs. Very similar. Adblockers block cookies, cookies expire, and you get, what I consider as, small commission.
I don't think all parking providers do this. Apparently GoDaddy CashParking gives 80% of advertising revenue to the owner

•••
Here's a list I compiled back in 2017, that's still viable today:
  • Pay per click
  • Pay per lead
  • Pay per impression
  • Pay per view
  • Live cam pay per minute
  • Sponsorship
  • Donations
  • eBooks
  • Stock image packs
  • Stock vector packs
  • Stock video packs
  • Software add-ons
  • Affiliate programs
  • Drop shipping
  • Paid newsletter
  • Paid membership
  • Paid webinar/podcast
  • Consulting service
  • Development service
  • Social media marketing service
  • Banner Ads
  • Inline contextual link ads
  • Paid training courses
  • Evaluation/Appraisal service
  • Upgrade options
  • Certification programs
  • Blog subscriptions (Lead gathering for future up-selling)
  • Video marketing service
  • Video editing service
  • Logo design service
  • Web design service
  • Banner design service
  • Business card design service
  • Illustration Service
  • Other design services
  • Webmaster/Management services
  • Article writing service
  • Blog commenting service
  • Guest blogging service
  • Bookmarking service
  • Paid Apps
  • Exclusive access area on your site
  • SEO/SEM services
  • Lead generating service
  • Brokerage service
  • Data-mining service
  • Forum posting/article sharing service
  • Popups/pop-unders (I don’t recommend these, very annoying to visitors)
  • Free downloads that require email (Lead gathering for future up-selling)
  • Domain names for sale section with Buy Now/Make Offer options
  • Domain parking (domain only)
  • Domain sales landers
  • Product review service
  • Job board with paid listings
  • Start your own affiliate program
  • Start a Royalties/Residuals program
  • And the list goes on and on.
If you pair the above list with the list I compiled back in 2005 of 247 different marketing techniques (Also still viable today), it could help you build out and maintain multiple revenue streams: https://www.namepros.com/threads/marketing-ideas-and-techniques.719211/

Keep in mind, what works for one may not work for another and results may vary.

Good luck.
Thank you for this long list man 😁

But I see you are mentionning banner ads, pay per click, par per impression and pay per view as separate methods. But shouldn't they be the same (parking shows ads, which pay you per click, impression and view) ?

•••
Monetize which domain?
Which is the background?
Stories are different if the domain is a dictionary name, has an history, has backlinks, is a typos, is a tradermak, is a reg fee domain
IndustrialMachinerySales.eu
Not a trademark, have good backlinks according to ahrefs (38 score, 1.7M backlinks with 100% dofollow, 34 linking websites with 100% dofollow too) but according to internet archive it have not been used seriously since 2018. Was, i think you guessed it, of a production equipment manufacturer.

•••
Thank you for this long list man 😁

But I see you are mentionning banner ads, pay per click, par per impression and pay per view as separate methods. But shouldn't they be the same (parking shows ads, which pay you per click, impression and view) ?
Actually, not all parking companies are the same. Some focus on just 1 or 2 of the "Pay-Per" methods, but not all of them together. Which is why I separated them.

Additionally, one doesn't need a parking company to create their own inhouse landers with their own "Pay-Per" methods (Contracts), cutting out the middle-man (Parking Company) = more profit for the asset owner.

•••
Yes, you can park it.
If no result, you can build a website/blog on it if you have time and interest to invest in this domain.
However I suggest to invest time on a .com domain if you like to develop it. It's more salable.

•••
Actually, not all parking companies are the same. Some focus on just 1 or 2 of the "Pay-Per" methods, but not all of them together. Which is why I separated them.

Additionally, one doesn't need a parking company to create their own inhouse landers with their own "Pay-Per" methods (Contracts), cutting out the middle-man (Parking Company) = more profit for the asset owner.

Any advice on how to get started with using your own lander page and pay per click ads? Would love to look into this instead of using typical parking methods.

Edit: I have 62 visits to my domain in the last 4 days but 0 clicks. So if I make my own lander with ads it might benefit me.

Last edited:
•••
Any advice on how to get started with using your own lander page and pay per click ads? Would love to look into this instead of using typical parking methods.

Edit: I have 62 visits to my domain in the last 4 days but 0 clicks. So if I make my own lander with ads it might benefit me.
Absolutely!

Here's a few things I've done over the last x2 decades:

1. First you want to create your landing page. The easiest and fastest way to do that is to use a FREE html (Or html + css) template, which you can find all over the internet to download. Once you download a free template, simply edit the text and change out the image files to what you want your lander to display.

2. Alternately, for those more html (Or html + css) code savvy, one could code a template (Index.html) page from scratch.

3. Alternately, if you want a centralized location to use for landers you could redirect the dns for each domain to a sub-page using a Free CMS (Content management system like WordPress) or a Free marketplace system like OpenCart. (Both require Databases, whereas, html or html + css does not)

4. You'll need a shared hosting plan regardless what option above you choose (I have been using Godaddy for x2 decades) which allows for up to 25 websites/landers to be hosted under a single Ultimate shared hosting plan ($12.99 mo). Note: Godaddy used to be unlimited sites, but capped it a few years ago to 25. There may be more cost effective hosting options out there with other providers that still allow Unlimited websites (Be sure to shop around for one that meets your portfolio's landing page needs or go with the wordpress or opencart option and redirect domains to landers in a centralized location that just counts as 1 website).

5. Once you have your lander(s) up an running, you'll want to monetize them to help you cover their renewal costs each year and potentially bring you some profits.

Some PPC/PPL/PPV/PPS options I've used in the past for standard landers:
There's hundreds of other ad providers out there. The above is just to give you an idea and a place to start your research.

At the end of the day, what works for one may not work for another and results may vary.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
•••
Absolutely!

Here's a few things I've done over the last x2 decades:

1. First you want to create your landing page. The easiest and fastest way to do that is to use a FREE html (Or html + css) template, which you can find all over the internet to download. Once you download a free template, simply edit the text and change out the image files to what you want your lander to display.

2. Alternately, for those more html (Or html + css) code savvy, one could code a template (Index.html) page from scratch.

3. Alternately, if you want a centralized location to use for landers you could redirect the dns for each domain to a sub-page using a Free CMS (Content management system like WordPress) or a Free marketplace system like OpenCart. (Both require Databases, whereas, html or html + css does not)

4. You'll need a shared hosting plan regardless what option above you choose (I have been using Godaddy for x2 decades) which allows for up to 25 websites/landers to be hosted under a single Ultimate shared hosting plan ($12.99 mo). Note: Godaddy used to be unlimited sites, but capped it a few years ago to 25. There may be more cost effective hosting options out there with other providers that still allow Unlimited websites (Be sure to shop around for one that meets your portfolio's landing page needs or go with the wordpress or opencart option and redirect domains to landers in a centralized location that just counts as 1 website).

5. Once you have your lander(s) up an running, you'll want to monetize them to help you cover their renewal costs each year and potentially bring you some profits.

Some PPC/PPL/PPV/PPS options I've used in the past for standard landers:
There's hundreds of other ad providers out there. The above is just to give you an idea and a place to start your research.

At the end of the day, what works for one may not work for another and results may vary.

Good luck :)

I appreciate the in depth response! I will look into these options today and hopefully use my own landers/ads soon!

•••
The only one I can get good money from domain parking, was using Amazon affiliates. I got alot from selling books, Music, KitchenStools, Gardeningequipment, etc. With only parking domains. Registering and Renewal fees are only a small fraction of your profit you can get from Amazon..

But Amazon integration now is not easy. View years ago you can build Amazon landing page in a view click, selling millions of products. And it can be put in Blogger. For now you must make a website and put a link in your pages. But if you see Flippa, there are still websites offered to be sold XXXX$ to XXXXX$ with Amazon affiliate. And if you see the metrics some sites earn XXXX$ per month from Amazon Affiliate...

I still remember registering .org with good DA/PA, if I am not wrong it is KitchenStools or something like that. I integrated with Amazon Affiliate, and got sold 3 set of stools 2 days after registered the domain. And they paid me about 35$... I end up sold the domain in rather good price at Ebay. But that happened about 5 years ago.. Now Amazon AWS Store is not available in Affiliate, you only can use link and banner. So time consuming for monitize domains with Amazon Affiliate, but still worthy for trustfull and high payment from Amazon...

Other affiliate like Hotel Combine, CJ are not working well. You have much traffic but they say no click. I sold 4 hotel rooms with Hotel Combine and they paid only 2$. Minimal cash out is 20$. And after that the link must be problem not counting your sale.

Amazon Affiliate is very trusworthy. The only Affiliate programs that really counts every sale, and pay good commission..

IMG_20230220_100358.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Yes, you can park it.
If no result, you can build a website/blog on it if you have time and interest to invest in this domain.
However I suggest to invest time on a .com domain if you like to develop it. It's more salable.
this is a surprisingly good advice from an evil person

•••
The only one I can get good money from domain parking, was using Amazon affiliates. I got alot from selling books, Music, KitchenStools, Gardeningequipment, etc. With only parking domains. Registering and Renewal fees are only a small fraction of your profit you can get from Amazon..

But Amazon integration now is not easy. View years ago you can build Amazon landing page in a view click, selling millions of products. And it can be put in Blogger. For now you must make a website and put a link in your pages. But if you see Flippa, there are still websites offered to be sold XXXX$ to XXXXX$ with Amazon affiliate. And if you see the metrics some sites earn XXXX$ per month from Amazon Affiliate...

I still remember registering .org with good DA/PA, if I am not wrong it is KitchenStools or something like that. I integrated with Amazon Affiliate, and got sold 3 set of stools 2 days after registered the domain. And they paid me about 35$... I end up sold the domain in rather good price at Ebay. But that happened about 5 years ago.. Now Amazon AWS Store is not available in Affiliate, you only can use link and banner. So time consuming for monitize domains with Amazon Affiliate, but still worthy for trustfull and high payment from Amazon...

Other affiliate like Hotel Combine, CJ are not working well. You have much traffic but they say no click. I sold 4 hotel rooms with Hotel Combine and they paid only 2$. Minimal cash out is 20$. And after that the link must be problem not counting your sale.

Amazon Affiliate is very trusworthy. The only Affiliate programs that really counts every sale, and pay good commission..

Show attachment 232521
apparently you need to have active content in your website to be eligible for amazon affiliate program so i guess you had to put some articles i your website for them to accept you right ?

Last edited:
•••
apparently you need to have active content in your website to be eligible for amazon affiliate program so i guess you had to put some articles i your website for them to accept you right ?

You can join Amazon Affiliate just with your email, no screening, no verification, no asking minimal visitors. But can you sell something or not, that's another question. If you can't promote with banner,s, links, etc.it is not working as income stream

•••
Hi fellas
Does anyone know if there are multiple ways to monetise traffic on a domain ?
If yes then what is the one you think is the best ?
Yes, there are multiple ways to monetize traffic on a domain. Some common methods include display advertising, affiliate marketing, selling products or services, sponsored content, and subscription models. The best monetization method depends on factors such as the niche, audience demographics, and the website's content and goals.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back