Dynadot

22 Ways to Monetise Your Domain Name

NameSilo
Watch

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
There are many types of ways to monetise traffic to your domain name (other than parking) and here I will name 22 to consider:
  1. Refer qualified product leads to other websites, typically via clicking advertisements, which lead to online purchases of gifts and common household items
  2. Refer qualified service leads to other websites, typically via clicking advertisements, which lead to online purchases of important services like plumbing, electrician, locksmith
  3. Refer qualified digital leads to other websites, typically via clicking advertisements, which lead to online purchases of digital services like V.P.N., life insurance, auto insurance
  4. Sell physical products and accept payments on site
  5. Sell non physical products, such as digital downloads, and accept payments on site
  6. Create a paid subscription service like a podcast, job board, premium list/live updates access, and accept payments such as via Patreon
  7. Build an email list which can be monetised in ways above and below, and legally sell the list to another company (be acutely aware of the law before you do this)
  8. Get paid by companies to have them as a paid sponsor of your content
  9. Offer free content and a paywall for premium content
  10. Accept voluntary donations from visitors
  11. Offer free content and promote your own services like web design, S.E.O. translation, expert advice
  12. Promote a paid educational course
  13. Run a dropshipping service
  14. Sell your websites and domain names in your own marketplace
  15. Pay per click which in simple terms is you get paid when somebody clicks an advertisement on your website, whether a resulting transaction occurs on another website or not
  16. Paid banner space on your website where another company gives you money to place their banner clickable advertisements alongside your content
  17. Sell your own e-book or audio book via advertisements and on site payment
  18. Post an advertorial which is a promotional article about a business, product or service and get paid by the company
  19. Create a coupon website with offer codes and get paid when a code is used to make a purchase
  20. Create a job board and get paid when somebody gets hired or by the recruiter
  21. Build a generic service website and sell the website to a company, like a plumber, electrician, window cleaner
  22. Build a business directory and get paid by companies for premium and enhanced listings

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi bro, thanks for sharing...
wanna ask.. Do you also buy domains for selling purpose? or you're much more into monetizing of domains?

•••
Hi bro, thanks for sharing...
wanna ask.. Do you also buy domains for selling purpose? or you're much more into monetizing of domains?
Hi mate. I mainly buy domain names to develop into websites and earn incremental revenue. I do this because the revenue is pretty much guaranteed once the website gets regular traffic. The revenue varies massively. One day it could be up to $ 50 and the next day it could be as little as a few dollars, a few cents or even nothing. You can have a bad week or a random $ 100 click but over many months you earn a nice amount. The more work you put in the greater the end rewards are. This is why it's such a good endeavour for people who want to earn a passive income. Down the line I plan to sell some of my developed domain names to companies by contacting them directly. I also plan to buy better domain names (especially single word premium co.uk and dot com domain names) with higher keyword traffic. Why monetise? Because monetising traffic is a better way to earn a profit from domain name investment than selling domain names for most people. It's a more logical and sensible approach. Many disagree with me. We all need to look to our own profit and loss ledgers. Cheers. @karmaco brother was I rambling?

•••
There are many types of ways to monetise traffic to your domain name (other than parking) and here I will name 22 to consider:

Hi there,

Can you please PM me? I cannot PM you.

•••
Hi there,

Can you please PM me? I cannot PM you.
Hi @bolo I have turned off private messages so that I cannot be legitimately accused of soliciting business. Please post any questions in the public thread. Thank you and have a very Merry Christmas. Cheers mate.

•••
I'm planning to attempt most if not all of these domain name monetisation methods in 2022.
  1. Refer qualified product leads
  2. Refer qualified service leads
  3. Refer qualified digital leads
  4. Sell physical products
  5. Sell non physical products
  6. Create a paid subscription service
  7. Build an email list
  8. Get a paid sponsor
  9. Offer free content and a paywall
  10. Accept voluntary donations
  11. Offer free content and promote own services
  13. Run a drop shipping service
  14. Sell domains and websites in own marketplace
  15. Pay per click
  16. Paid banner space
  17. Sell own e-book or audio book
  18. Post an advertorial mini site
  19. Create a coupon website
  20. Create a job board
  21. Build a generic service website
  22. Build a business directory

•••
I'm planning to attempt most if not all of these domain name monetisation methods in 2022.
  1. Refer qualified product leads
  2. Refer qualified service leads
  3. Refer qualified digital leads
  4. Sell physical products
  5. Sell non physical products
  6. Create a paid subscription service
  7. Build an email list
  8. Get a paid sponsor
  9. Offer free content and a paywall
  10. Accept voluntary donations
  11. Offer free content and promote own services
  13. Run a drop shipping service
  14. Sell domains and websites in own marketplace
  15. Pay per click
  16. Paid banner space
  17. Sell own e-book or audio book
  18. Post an advertorial mini site
  19. Create a coupon website
  20. Create a job board
  21. Build a generic service website
  22. Build a business directory
I've been reading a lot of your posts and my interest is piqued. Do you have links so we can see some of your sites? Thanks for sharing.

•••
I've been reading a lot of your posts and my interest is piqued. Do you have links so we can see some of your sites? Thanks for sharing.
Ofcourse , I too like to take a look at sites developed by @redemo

•••
Hey guys nice to have you with us. Of course everybody want to see my sites. Then you can use a keyword tool to find the most popular pages and keywords and duplicate my site within 24 hours. I'm not saying YOU are going to do that but it's a risk not worth taking. I can only lose money by sharing my sites. What I will do is share successful sites in other niches. Tell me the niche and I will share a list of sites @MobyOne @ATMDS. One thing I will tell you is I don't go around copying everybody else's strategies. I always start with the problem. What is the problem people have and how are you going to solve it? When you know these details then get out a giant sheet of paper and begin physically drawing your idea. I use a thick pencil so that I can erase things. Better would be a non permanent white board. People will tell you something doesn't work and I say pay them no mind. Make your own mistakes. Success will come.

•••
If you copy people and your content isn't authentic it won't work.

•••
Thanks. I understand. I'm not going to copy anyone.

•••
This is a good list. However, we should not be under the impression that monetizing domains is easy. All of the items listed require hard work to make them work. 2 most important aspects are content and SEO. Content can be in the form of a digital product or service you are selling. Leads is under the umbrella of service. If you are building a subscriber list or running PPC you need a lot of free content and traffic. Many of the items in the list overlap. You need to understand that to make any of it work you need strong commitment and passion for the project. You can take on a few domains for development. But don't spread yourself too thin. You can always outsource. Think long term. Choose the domains you develop wisely.

Last edited:
•••
This is a good list.
Thank you I was trying to help!
However, we should not be under the impression that monetizing domains is easy.
Define easy. " achieved without great effort; presenting few difficulties. " First time is normally difficult. Once you have done it once and make your mistakes you learn what to do better next time. Second time around you build a template or check list and time each activity. Third time around you schedule your build and follow your check list. By now you know which steps to take and how long to plan for. By the fourth time you can start developing tailored versions of your checklist for different types of build. This is how I've learnt to do it. It's a logical process which becomes easier over time.
All of the items listed require hard work to make them work.
The first time around, yes. Same with anything in life. Try driving a vehicle if you've never driven before. Or playing a musical instrument if you've never played it before.
2 most important aspects are content and SEO.
Most important is providing an authentic solution to a problem which enough people have to make it worth your while solving it. Everything else is marketing to as wide as your audience goes as possible with the least amount of time and money as possible.
Content can be in the form of a digital product or service you are selling. Leads is under the umbrella of service. If you are building a subscriber list or running PPC you need a lot of free content and traffic.
Or provide a paid service which cannot be found anywhere else for the same amount of money.
Many of the items in the list overlap.
True. That's digital marketing for you!
You need to understand that to make any of it work you need strong commitment and passion for the project.
You need to understand what you're building. Ideally first hand experience. I'm not passionate about promoting apples but if it makes money I'll find the commitment to do it.
You can take on a few domains for development. But don't spread yourself too thin.
I disagree. My portfolio is 60 and 30 are in active development. I spread myself as thin as possible. After a month you find which of your builds are the most popular and go hard on them. If you only develop a few builds your chances of success are far more limited. Planning your time is an excellent way to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Ten minutes well-spent on a project can have incredible results where ten hours of poking around achieves naff all. Put your hooks out all down the river. Come back later (in a boat, not on foot) and see what you caught.
You can always outsource.
Good advice. Be careful of who you source to. A few muppet freelancers can ruin your pudding very fast by adding salt when they should be adding sugar.
Think long term.
Mmmm. I try to think medium term. End up thinking short term (how can I make money fast?). It's not about becoming rich fast, just making a few transactions early on to prove your system is working. Don't go more than two or three months without making any transactions. It gets you into a negative frame of mind. Always feed your motivation with treats.
Choose the domains you develop wisely.
I couldn't agree more.

•••
After a month you find which of your builds are the most popular and go hard on them. If you only develop a few builds your chances of success are far more limited.
I think a month is too short a time to know which builds have most potential. If you do research before you build, then your few builds have a far greater chance of being successful. If you spread yourself too thin then you cannot build any site to a sufficient degree as to gauge realistically the success of any one site. Most people quit before a breakthrough is made. Your advice is more pertinent towards developers. Also boilerplate multiple websites are like playing the lottery or A/B tests at best. Content can refer to articles, images, videos, or digital products. If you offer a service that is unique, then you must believe in it 100% if you expect others to do so as well. Same goes for affiliate products/services. You have to build authority, trust, and traffic for any site to be successful. This is not an easy task. It sounds like you are banking on small income times a volume of sites. This is a short term or medium term thinking. Search algorithms change constantly. If you build a few brands that have a level of success, your exit strategy will produce a far greater return. Not to mention residual income in the meantime. Spend your energy and resources building out your best domains. Most successful domainers have a few successful brands that allow them to make a living and wait for top dollar for their other domains. We all have the same amount of time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 12 months a year. We must learn to use that time to get the best results.

Last edited:
•••
I think a month is too short a time to know which builds have most potential. If you do research before you build, then your few builds have a far greater chance of being successful. If you spread yourself too thin then you cannot build any site to a sufficient degree as to gauge realistically the success of any one site. Most people quit before a breakthrough is made. Your advice is more pertinent towards developers. Also boilerplate multiple websites are like playing the lottery or A/B tests at best. Content can refer to articles, images, videos, or digital products. If you offer a service that is unique, then you must believe in it 100% if you expect others to do so as well. Same goes for affiliate products/services. You have to build authority, trust, and traffic for any site to be successful. This is not an easy task. It sounds like you are banking on small income times a volume of sites. This is a short term or medium term thinking. Search algorithms change constantly. If you build a few brands that have a level of success, your exit strategy will produce a far greater return. Not to mention residual income in the meantime. Spend your energy and resources building out your best domains. Most successful domainers have a few successful brands that allow them to make a living and wait for top dollar for their other domains. We all have the same amount of time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 12 months a year. We must learn to use that time to get the best results.
Thanks @DN Playbook. This is one of my favourite posts on Namepros. I agree with almost everything you said apart from personal ability. The crux of a successful web site is it's updated, high-quality pillar content. If you can automate the technical set-up process by using the services of a professional web site developer and out-source the pillar content to a professional content writer, you can get a web site set up and established extremely fast, within one or two months. Faster if you have access to a high quality social media following. The key here is templates. The more templates you have and the more detailed they are the faster you can roll-out your web site or other service on your domain name. It's the absolute number one skill I have learnt (still learning!), and that most people avoid because it takes time to create smart templates. If you have article templates for your content writer they can create content far quicker. Same goes for any type of service you build along side a domain name. Templates ensure you don't forget to perform important tasks. As I said most people avoid them. Apart from that I agree with 99 % of your post.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks @DN Playbook. This is one of my favourite posts on Namepros. I agree with almost everything you said apart from personal ability. The crux of a successful web site is it's updated, high-quality pillar content. If you can automate the technical set-up process by using the services of a professional web site developer and out-source the pillar content to a professional content writer, you can get a web site set up and established extremely fast, within one or two months. Faster if you have access to a high quality social media following. The key here is templates. The more templates you have and the more detailed they are the faster you can roll-out your web site or other service on your domain name. It's the absolute number one skill I have learnt (still learning!), and that most people avoid because it takes time to create smart templates. If you have article templates for your content writer they can create content far quicker. Same goes for any type of service you build along side a domain name. Templates ensure you don't forget to perform important tasks. As I said most people avoid them. Apart from that I agree with 99 % of your post.
I like this thread as well. Thanks for starting it. Web standards have made deployment of websites much quicker. However, we are still at the mercy of Google. Social signals are also important. Content is still king. Those 3 elements (SEO, social, and content) are what take time and dedication. This is not to discourage people. But understand where your blows should be directed at. At the same time, we have to recognize that Web design and structure do play important roles. Almost all, if not all, Web design projects today start with a template, a foundation. The challenge for the average domainer is how to leverage the existing frameworks and templates with limited technical knowledge.

Last edited:
•••
I like this thread as well. Thanks for starting it. Web standards have made deployment of websites much quicker. However, we are still at the mercy of Google. Social signals are also important. Content is still king. Those 3 elements (SEO, social, and content) are what take time and dedication. This is not to discourage people. But understand where your blows should be directed at. At the same time, we have to recognize that Web design and structure do play important roles. Almost all, if not all, Web design projects today start with a template, a foundation. The challenge for the average domainer is how to leverage the existing frameworks and templates with limited technical knowledge.
I think the average domainer has enough technical knowledge to buy a domain name, build a website and create content. All of this can be done on a phone, inside one hour, bar content. The biggest problem out there is commitment, rather than access to the required technical tools.

•••
  1. Refer qualified product leads to other websites, typically via clicking advertisements, which lead to online purchases of gifts and common household items
  2. Refer qualified service leads to other websites, typically via clicking advertisements, which lead to online purchases of important services like plumbing, electrician, locksmith
  3. Refer qualified digital leads to other websites, typically via clicking advertisements, which lead to online purchases of digital services like V.P.N., life insurance, auto insurance
  4. Sell physical products and accept payments on site
  5. Sell non physical products, such as digital downloads, and accept payments on site
  6. Create a paid subscription service like a podcast, job board, premium list/live updates access, and accept payments such as via Patreon
  7. Build an email list which can be monetised in ways above and below, and legally sell the list to another company (be acutely aware of the law before you do this)
  8. Get paid by companies to have them as a paid sponsor of your content
  9. Offer free content and a paywall for premium content
  10. Accept voluntary donations from visitors
  11. Offer free content and promote your own services like web design, S.E.O. translation, expert advice
  13. Run a dropshipping service
  14. Sell your websites and domain names in your own marketplace
  15. Pay per click which in simple terms is you get paid when somebody clicks an advertisement on your website, whether a resulting transaction occurs on another website or not
  16. Paid banner space on your website where another company gives you money to place their banner clickable advertisements alongside your content
  17. Sell your own e-book or audio book via advertisements and on site payment
  18. Post an advertorial which is a promotional article about a business, product or service and get paid by the company
  19. Create a coupon website with offer codes and get paid when a code is used to make a purchase
  20. Create a job board and get paid when somebody gets hired or by the recruiter
  21. Build a generic service website and sell the website to a company, like a plumber, electrician, window cleaner
  22. Build a business directory and get paid by companies for premium and enhanced listings
Great tips! I will keep these in mind. Love your Number 19, by the way.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back