IT.COM

How many idn you have?

NameSilo
Watch
How many has been develop and how many are parked?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Grrilla said:
True. You can, also, respect others views that you do not, fully, understand while taking the time to make an informed decision to base likes or dislikes upon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my best guess is that you have been the target of attacks that are based upon misinformation or based, solely, upon opinions that have no substantive basis, at all. Tou have experienced "hit and run" attacks- ie posters who make an assertion and, than, never show up again to answer your response. Or posters who dislike IDN domains (who you, agree, do have the right to their own opinion) but, who, for some inexplicable reason, (perhaps, general spite or antagonistic tendencies?) find it necessary to, chronically, post negative statements about your enterprise which, in essence, is a reflection of your beliefs. To add insult to injury, they come into your house to dump and, than, don't even have the good manners or discretion to use the WC?

If this is the situation, (or something similar), than I empathise with you and understand the basis for the flavor of much of the rhetoric I've seen tossed around here. If there is alot of undue B/S coming your way, (B/S, as opposed to, heated discussions and disgreements over issues) than I think I, for one, will be more alert to any undue cr~p that get's laid on you and will make it a point to be less judgemental about the attitudes that may have developed as a result of the aforementioned indiscretions of others.. :td: :td: B-)

Not quite sure what WC means , but everything you have said is dead on , alot of the Hit & Run stuff , And Frankly just alot of unjustifiable comments in our home base, then when we answer back it is made to look like we are the ones starting the trouble or looking for a fight. I would love to keep this a classroom eviroment , I have even started a room in the Chat entilted IDN Chat , where i had a few IDN protesters causing a rukus and when they were asked to leave and even frozen the Mod interviened and Sided with them coming into our private room. I let the scenario go because frankly it wasnt worth it but JeffM2 has all the details if you would like to see the jaw dropping things that transpired.

•••
WC= water closet, bathroom, toilette. Maybe, not the best choice of metaphors.

JeffM2 has all the details if you would like to see the jaw dropping things that transpired.

Will be away from the desk most ot the day but I am interested- both, personally, and as an NP staff member who has an available ear and who wishes to lend a helping hand if it can aid in improving relationships and understanding between members, despite, any disagreements that may exist between them.

•••
RogueWriter said:
Eh, I have 0 IDNs, I have my hands full with .coms .nets and .tvs - no need for me to take risks in a niche I have not researched. If you are big into IDNs, that's great. They just have no interest for me, personally. There are too many available domains out there that require less risk and less research, IMO.

Most of my IDN are Dot Coms. They are part of the registry as yours and hold the same legal status. They are registered as ASCII strings, but these strings in themselves make no sense. They are encodement from Keywords in local script that are converted by the browser to the registered ASCII strings for resolution by the DNS. The lastest versions of all browsers are capable of resolving them without difficulty. Unfortunately, we are still awaiting the roll-out of IE 7.0 to replace obscelete and decrepid IE 6.0 which is still ubiquitous in most of the places that will use IDN, and which does not support them. Once this disgraceful excuse for a browser is consigned to history, the IDN dream will become a reality. The first signs that a new dawn is breaking are already upon us. IE 7.0 Beta 3 has already been released. Even Microsoft cannot procrastinate much longer.

•••
Theres really nothing to research..

Chinese is spoken in China
Japanese is spoken in Japan

All it takes is finding a few good online translators and start looking thru them for nice commerical terms.

•••
JeffM2 said:
Theres really nothing to research..

Chinese is spoken in China
Japanese is spoken in Japan

All it takes is finding a few good online translators and start looking thru them for nice commerical terms.

It might sound daft, but it was very simple realisations such as these that set me off on the IDN path. So many people obviously struggle with these key points.

•••
A couple of thoughts came to mind that I wanted to drop off before I took off.
First, as a critique of myself, that last post sure had a magnanimous, self righteous feel to it and I want to assure you that I don't view myself as being magnanimous and don't relate to the forum nor do I approach my relationships w/ other members from that perspective. I give it my best shot at peacemaking when a situation crosses my path but I have more than my own, fair share of blemishes and can get bent out of shape and will dip my pen into poison more often that I would like to. (ie I ain't no saint, myself, so there is no room for a self-righteous attitude, on my part.)

The other thought that occurred to me is that, on one level, the IDN-ASCII conflict can be viewed as, a microcosm of the the world landscape and might be a reflection of some of the problems that come out of the prejudicse and bigotry that is fostered by extreme nationalism, hitorical cultural conflicts, and the push to gain an economic advantage over our neighbors. I have traveled a bit and have lived w/ a diverse range of people- I have been lived in the homes of Berbers in the Atlas mountains and w/ "blue-blood" Tuscans in Sienna. My son has taken several extended trips to all of the continents and is returning from an eight month journey of India in 5 days. From all of my experience w/ one on one contact w/ people, my experience has been that there we are all, essentially, the same and, for good or for bad, we are only seperated by the environments that we were socialized in- what we are accustomed to. Sadly, the same people that I have laughed with and shared couscous w/ in N Africa could, conceivably, be the same people that might, one day, bomb the bus that I was riding on my way to La Piazza del Campo in Sienna to have an evening glass of Brunnello di Montalcino w/ my friends there who could, conceivably, be talking about the "Arab problem" from their own bigoted perspective.

No matter what side of the border we are on, no matter which side of the IDN-ASCII issue we are on, I think that we all should pinch ourselves, once in awhile, to remind ourselves that, in almost every instance,i the person on the other side of the user name is a human being who has feelings, emotions, wants, needs and goals that are not, at all, dissimilar from our own and that we might have more in common with them, than, might first meet the eye. In lieu of not having the appropriate instrumnts at my disposal to send this message out using the full, range of available possibilities, I will resort to sending it out using unicode:
☯☮

Last edited:
•••
Grrilla said:
A couple of thoughts came to mind that I wanted to drop off before I took off.
First, as a critique of myself, that last post sure had a magnanimous, self righteous feel to it and I want to assure you that I don't view myself as being magnanimous and don't relate to the forum nor do I approach my relationships w/ other members from that perspective. I give it my best shot at peacemaking when a situation crosses my path but I have more than my own, fair share of blemishes and can get bent out of shape and will dip my pen into poison more often that I would like to. (ie I ain't no saint, myself, so there is no room for a self-righteous attitude, on my part.)

The other thought that occurred to me is that, on one level, the IDN-ASCII conflict can be viewed as, a microcosm of the the world landscape and might be a reflection of some of the problems that come out of the prejudicse and bigotry that is fostered by extreme nationalism, hitorical cultural conflicts, and the push to gain an economic advantage over our neighbors. I have traveled a bit and have lived w/ a diverse range of people- I have been lived in the homes of Berbers in the Atlas mountains and w/ "blue-blood" Tuscans in Sienna. My son has taken several extended trips to all of the continents and is returning from an eight month journey of India in 5 days. From all of my experience w/ one on one contact w/ people, my experience has been that there we are all, essentially, the same and, for good or for bad, we are only seperated by the environments that we were socialized in- what we are accustomed to. Sadly, the same people that I have laughed with and shared couscous w/ in N Africa could, conceivably, be the same people that might, one day, bomb the bus that I was riding on my way to La Piazza del Campo in Sienna to have an evening glass of Brunnello di Montalcino w/ my friends there who could, conceivably, be talking about the "Arab problem" from their own bigoted perspective.

No matter what side of the border we are on, no matter which side of the IDN-ASCII issue we are on, I think that we all should pinch ourselves, once in awhile, to remind ourselves that, in almost every instance,i the person on the other side of the user name is a human being who has feelings, emotions, wants, needs and goals that are not, at all, dissimilar from our own and that we might have more in common with them, than, might first meet the eye. In lieu of not having the appropriate instrumnts at my disposal to send this message out using the full, range of available possibilities, I will resort to sending it out using unicode:
☯☮

Nice one. Any domainer showing that level of comprehension of the needs of others will eventually become an IDNer. Simple market forces.

•••
domainstosell said:
I I don't see any sub-category related to IDN drops...

Have they been around long enough to drop? Would any of the drop services be able to search, categorize and display them properly...yet? Some drop services don't even do all the secondary gTLD's, nor most of the ccTLD's. I think grabbing expired IDN's is way on the back burner for now.

I have ZERO (-0-, zilch, zippo, nada, nary-a-one, nil, the big goose egg...) IDN domains. I'm a proud arrogant ASCII domainer. You can't make me do IDN until Dell and HP start shipping non-ASCII keyboards and you get this old dog to learn a new trick of typing on a non-QWERTY keyboard. :laugh:

The more money IDN'ers spend on non-ASCII domains,s the less competition I"ll have in the gTLD's and .us which to me is a more mature market.

<admission> Okay...I do have a couple .ws, .cc and recently a couple .im domains, and I did once buy a couple new.net domains when it was introduced (and actually sold one) but everyone needs a tiny bit of highly speculative stuff in their portfolio.........</admission>

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
Have they been around long enough to drop? Would any of the drop services be able to search, categorize and display them properly...yet? Some drop services don't even do all the secondary gTLD's, nor most of the ccTLD's. I think grabbing expired IDN's is way on the back burner for now.

Yes they have been around since 2001 , also Many people have built there portfolios from drop's and continue to catch drops everday, From what i have witnessed there are some very famous dropcatchers in on the IDN game.. But when you make comments like you think IDN drops will be on the back burner for awhile kinda makes my face cringe because you have made this comment with no facts nor knowledge of the IDN market, So may i suggest you read up IDNF thanks

AdoptableDomains said:
I have ZERO (-0-, zilch, zippo, nada, nary-a-one, nil, the big goose egg...) IDN domains. I'm a proud arrogant ASCII domainer. You can't make me do IDN until Dell and HP start shipping non-ASCII keyboards and you get this old dog to learn a new trick of typing on a non-QWERTY keyboard. :laugh:

Please try to read up on IDN's before you start talking about IDN Keyboards and what not , its just non-sense. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name

Can you show me where it says Dell & HP only sell computers in America ?

HP Japan

welcome.hp.com/country/jp/ja/welcome.html

Dell Japan

http://www1.jp.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=jp&l=jp&s=gen

top_image_01_02.gif

Last edited:
•••
AdoptableDomains said:

The more money IDN'ers spend on non-ASCII domains,s the less competition I"ll have in the gTLD's and .us which to me is a more mature market.

<admission> Okay...I do have a couple .ws, .cc and recently a couple .im domains, and I did once buy a couple new.net domains when it was introduced (and actually sold one) but everyone needs a tiny bit of highly speculative stuff in their portfolio.........</admission>

Picking up IDN drops. Sure I have done it, but I'm too small time to compete there anymore!

Yes, well the assumption that all the World uses the a Qwerty Keyboard is arrogant in the extreme. The French have never used Qwerty, even on their old typewriters going back to the word dot. Qwerty layout was based on letter frequency in English. It never was entirely appropriate to other languages. Just about every script has its own keyboard, although some are not as yet widely distributed. Those that don't soon will have.

thegenius1 said:

They might sell them there. They sure as hell don't make them there. Get with the plot. PC computers are made in China. Hell, we are only a few years off seeing China putting a block on High Tech exports to the US!

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'm not sure if this is clear or not to many but IDNs are .com domains. Is Spanish.com really much different from Español.com? No... yet one is an IDN. In Spain, Mexico, and other Spanish speaking countries the keyboards look like this:

spk.jpg

Notice the ñ on the middle right. It's just as natural for Spanish speakers to type in "Español" as it is for us to type in "Spanish". Other languages are just as advanced computer-wise. It's the domain names that are old technology and need to be updated.

•••
thegenius1 said:
Please try to read up on IDN's before you start talking about IDN Keyboards and what not , its just non-sense. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name

Jeez!, I didn't say they didn't make them or sell them elsewhere. They've never shipped one to me here in the U.S.

Actually, I really don't have any desire to read up on IDN's, and I don't need an IDN evangelist to show me the way. The English language market is plenty big enough for me.

BTW, ALL .com domains are ASCII, and only use translation protocols to convert them. Even SE asian character sets still end in .com, .cn, .jp, which looks kind of strange to me. :'( :'( :'(

Last edited:
•••
MoM , DaD , Sister , Brother , Cousin , Aunt , Uncle Put Up the Farm on IDN's
One of the IDN evangelists here has a signature telling people and their entire family to bet the farm on IDN names. In my opinion that's ridiculous and downright irresponsible. You should never tell people to bet their homes on ANY domain investment. Imho that's a disservice to the entire domain community. I hope nobody takes it serious, or they might have to start a new sub forum for "homeless" domainers.

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
Jeez!, I didn't say they didn't make them or sell them elsewhere. They've never shipped one to me here in the U.S.

Actually, I really don't have any desire to read up on IDN's, and I don't need an IDN evangelist to show me the way. The English language market is plenty big enough for me.

BTW, ALL .com domains are ASCII, and only use translation protocols to convert them. Even SE asian character sets still end in .com, .cn, .jp, which looks kind of strange to me. :'( :'( :'(
You have to realize that the U.S. isn't the only market. If you lived in China you'd get a Chinese keyboard shipped to you from Lenovo etc.

They "look" strange to you but I'm sure someone only fluent in Chinese would say the same thing about english.

Also they can type their chinese characters directly and end it with a .com and they don't have to even bother typing the punycode.

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
... I'm a proud arrogant ASCII domainer. You can't make me do IDN until Dell and HP start shipping non-ASCII keyboards and you get this old dog to learn a new trick of typing on a non-QWERTY keyboard. :laugh:

[/I]

What is "non-ASCII keyboards"
What kind of keyboards do you think our brothers and sisters in Japan/China/India etc use...

Do you think they maybe even have internet there? And if they do, what kind of strange and funny symbols are they using to search the internet, and what possible keyboard could they be using...

You said it best yourself...The proud, arrogant, old dog bit... Nicely put.. :>)

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
They've never shipped one to me here in the U.S.

You are not the market. You aren't the consumer who would be using a Japanese domain or a Russian domain. So it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things if you've ever seen a keyboard in a different language. If you have the ingenuity, patience and desire, you can reg good names.

AdoptableDomains said:
I have ZERO (-0-, zilch, zippo, nada, nary-a-one, nil, the big goose egg...) IDN domains. I'm a proud arrogant ASCII domainer. You can't make me do IDN until Dell and HP start shipping non-ASCII keyboards and you get this old dog to learn a new trick of typing on a non-QWERTY keyboard.

Many people are under the misconception that an IDN is a different extension or something. These are .com domains.

Also, your insinuation seems to be that no one will type these domains in (because if you can't type it on a keyboard from Wal-Mart, it can't be done, or something along those lines). However, I can honestly say that I have never typed in a .us extension (or .im, or .ws, or .cc). In fact, I have domains that have triple the Overture of the population of the Isle of Man. I think I'll stick with those.

I'm not trying to start an "extension fight," I'm just trying to respond to the type-in issue. I know it has been said here that ".com is not king; content is king..." but .com still has a heck of a head start.

No one is trying to "make" you do IDNs; most of the IDNers here are just trying to educate and shed light on this great market, just like people are doing with other extensions, "hacked" domains, etc.

•••
"China has a billion people"

I keep reading this but a fact that often gets overlooked by the people saying it, is that most of those people are not even ON the Internet. So it really doesn't matter whether you have a magic talking keyboard that speaks all languages and glows in the dark, if the people aren't online.

•••
•••
Sorry, I didn't mean to throw ガソリン on the fire or 你简直阅兵.

(Hmmm, No emoticons for Flame....) :)

•••
•••
domainstosell said:
Wow... :td:

Here is some info on chinese Internet usage:

http://www.internetworldstats.com/asia/cn.htm
Backing domainstosell's point

Type in "Internet Users United States" and "Population United States" in Google

The CIA site (u.s. govt site) will give you 295 million u.s. population with 159 million internet users.

China with 1.2 billion population according to the CIA site has 94 million online users. This will grow substantially and will easily surpass that of the U.S. due to its bigger population. It does not take rocket science to realize that soon China will dominate.

•••
VacationVincent said:
One of the IDN evangelists here has a signature telling people and their entire family to bet the farm on IDN names. In my opinion that's ridiculous and downright irresponsible. You should never tell people to bet their homes on ANY domain investment. Imho that's a disservice to the entire domain community. I hope nobody takes it serious, or they might have to start a new sub forum for "homeless" domainers.

You read thru the IDN forum and you thought my Sig deserved a responce are you serious ? I mean com on dude this is a figiure of speech , And dam right i have told my family to look into IDN's , If you knew what you know now about the domain market back in the 90's i hope you would have shared it with your family to, But com on dude find something else to post about besides my signature that is just a lil strange man.

•••
JeffM2 said:
295 million u.s. population with 159 million internet users.

China with 1.2 billion population according to the CIA site has 94 million online users.
Have you ever done a percentage comparison of those numbers? :blink:

This will grow substantially and will easily surpass that of the U.S. due to its bigger population.
Chinese have shown they are very slow to change.

The Internet is not new in China. It's been around for years.

IDN names are not new, they've been around for years.

soon China will dominate.
Everyone has an opinion. That is yours.

All I'm trying to point out, is that nothing is a "sure thing".

•••
VacationVincent ..I just have to ask are you a member that just got banned recently ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back