Dynadot

discuss How many domains have you sold above Usd 5000 doing outbound ?

NameSilo
Watch

domain12345

Established Member
Impact
95% domains are sold on domain auction platforms / listing marketplaces

How many have sold a domain for USD 5000 and above solely by doing outbound marketing.

Please share honest experiences and domain sales if can be disclosed

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think I managed to sell any above $1000 via outbound. That's one of the reasons I don't do it that much anymore.
Sold many over $5000 over inbound (landers) though. Some via make offer & negotiations but quite a few (surprisingly for me) via buy now.

I think that if you do outbound it can really take away from the perceived value of a domain name.
"Hmm - you're contacting me? You must need the money and you are ready to make compromises. Here's $100."

The actual quality of the domain name matters a lot too but I think even the highest value domain can get a better price via inbound.

•••
Yes true .but then how to big brokers do outbound ? They reach to end users or other domainers

•••
Domains that we sell over $5k are top notch domains. It’s easier to go out and find a buyer for something top notch and unique versus the low end stuff that most outbounders are trying to peddle - often low end stuff that the potential buyer being contacted previously declined to pick up for reg fee.

i.e. It has more to do with the quality of the domain than the method being used to sell it.

•••

How many have sold a domain for USD 5000 and above solely by doing outbound marketing.

Thanks
For mid xxxx and above, only inbound for me. Can't tell if that price range can be possible if I decided to delve into outbound.

I think the general idea is if you want more frequent sales at low to mid xxx, then outbound should be your strategy. But if you are ok with at least 3 to 5 sales a year for a portfolio of ~100, buy better names, price them at xxxx and wait for the inbound

Last edited:
•••
Yes true .but then how to big brokers do outbound ? They reach to end users or other domainers
Don't forget that most big time brokers are insiders with the contact information of big spenders within the industry. Hence, it's easier for them to ask for those high ticket prices when they outbound. That's why these brokers always insist on top notch domains to begin with when you ask them to represent you

Last edited:
•••
I think a really top notch domain will probably get the buyer coming. When you have got top quality, name your price.

•••
The real problem is when you're doing outbound, the buyer is not well prepare to pay for it.
They don't have the budget in their mind.

•••
•••

Thanks

Zero. Do not do outbound at all.

•••
So its just marketplaces for mid quality domains with lots of paid promo

Surprisingly many companies doing google ads for same keywords but their marketing dept dont have much info on domain benefits.

•••
So its just marketplaces for mid quality domains with lots of paid promo

Surprisingly many companies doing google ads for same keywords but their marketing dept dont have much info on domain benefits.
That's because after the panda update some years back, Google stopped ranking websites based on domain names ALONE. Before that, all someone had to do was to have a domain name like CheapRedBicyclesInLosAngelesForFiveDollars.com to rank for those keywords. Now, you will have to have matching high quality content to get anywhere.

Last edited:
•••
If a lot of people are still going straight to a domain, it will still appear very high in Page Rank, parked or not.

Google did not remove parked domains from searches absolutely, rather - it stated that "In most cases, we prefer not to show them" and that was something they said, in passing, seven years ago, who knows whether they still follow it now.

•••
1 at $8500. .com
Initial offer after outbound was$100 . Took me 4 months to close the deal.

•••
Be careful giving exact details of domain name transactions etc

Because the uk are going after bitcoin profits and they are now freezing domain name portfolios too and it won't take a rocket scientist to work out how much profit or row a person has made which they will want a large chunk off

Snakes and rats don't sit at the same table at teatime

Lol

•••
I think that if you do outbound it can really take away from the perceived value of a domain name. "Hmm - you're contacting me? You must need the money and you are ready to make compromises. Here's $100."

A good solution to this problem is register the domain for 5 years and specify that you are willing to wait, but that the domain, once sold, will leave the market for five years (unless the end-user resells). This makes clear that you're not in a rush but that a sale could be imminent.

The actual quality of the domain name matters a lot too but I think even the highest value domain can get a better price via inbound.

This is a very good point. If an end-user makes the first contact then their motivation to close a deal will usually be higher. The problem is you have a wait a long time, sometimes forever, for the inbound contact.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back