Domain Empire

How Long Would It Take Me To Learn Enough Programming To Start Earning?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ivannnn

Established Member
Impact
Hello all!

I do not know anything about programming at the moment. But I am considering learning it.

I am pretty good at math and I like problem solving.

How long would it take me to learn enough web programming to start earning money? I am mostly thinking about freelance work on sites like Elance or Odesk (Is that the right path for a beginner?).

So, I am not asking how long it would take to become an expert web developer, just to start earning. That would be my first goal.

Consider that I would put at least 8 hours of learning EVERY day. And I'm a pretty dedicated and motivated person.

I know it's a vague question and it depends from person to person but please give me a number.

Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you can put in 8 hours a day, you'll start to pick up on things rather quickly. Google is your friend when you become stuck on any kind of issue....chances are that someone else was stuck in the same spot before so there should be a lot of help on there. Start small and take the time to learn how to do things the correct way.

As far as how long it takes to start earning..... What kind of goals do you have in mind? What kind of sites do you want to develop?

•••
I'd say about 6 months to a year to get on sites like Elance or Odesk if studying 8 hours per day and then putting what you learn into practice. There's a lot to learn and everything is always changing so I find myself constantly studying even after doing it for 13 years.

•••
21 hours, learn python the hard way!

•••
The answer really depends on your ability to learn quickly, your passion, your dedication, your knack for the way of thinking and your ability to sell yourself as a freelancer. With 8 hours per day, you should be able to start earning small amounts from odds and ends on a site like Elance or Odesk in a just a few months. That's a good path for a beginner I'd say, however, it may take several years to obtain enough experience to earn a career as even a junior programmer in the enterprise sector.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back