IT.COM

How do you value your domain portfolio/ net worth?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dave321

Established Member
Impact
I.e. lets say you have xxxx domains listed in the top brandable market places...

When adding up your personal net worth, do you prefer using the average retail price or..... wholesale value?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't consider it at all. Domain registrations are a liability (net cost) until sold. Most domains do not have an easy liquid value. If my portfolio was 3 and 4 letter .coms, I could put a value on it, but otherwise it is subjective.

If you are just looking to impress someone or yourself, sure use retail value, but that number is meaningless.

•••
Domains are in theory digital assets, so if you wanted to peg some kind of estimate, you probably can. From a net worth standpoint, not so sure if that's the right way to look at it

Crypto are also digital assets. If you own 1 Bitcoin, that may be counted towards your "estimated net worth". You can sell 1 Bitcoin today, so its something you can sell "now", unlike maybe in the future (if you go by the estimated value that you understand it to be, with the right buyer), like domains. I think that's one of the differences that make domains a different class of speculation, and that's quite a statement when you compare it to crypto, which is also incredibly speculative

Net worth is a grey area. You can look at an estimated portfolio value, if going by the price you can truly 100% sell it for "now" / in this moment, and not the "maybe future value" (if that makes sense), and in theory count it towards a net worth, but I think its a bit meaningless too (as @inforg said). When you sell a domain on the spot for fiat (real money), you can then truly count that amount to an overall "net worth". IMO

Last edited:
•••
I.e. lets say you have xxxx domains listed in the top brandable market places...

When adding up your personal net worth, do you prefer using the average retail price or..... wholesale value?

Hi
since any seller can choose their own asking price...
then that same person could inflate their worth by overpricing.

therefore, it's an illogical method.

now, if the portfolio was earning income, say via pay per click,
then you'd have some statistical data to calculate value of the portfolio and perhaps projected earnings.

if that is/was only income source, then there's your net worth.... minus expenses of course.

imo...

•••
My net worth includes my house , car and business interests. Domains are a part of that but aren’t very liquid and it’s hard to know when or if they will sell. Even then valuation is quite subjective.

•••
I don't factor it in at all. I don't really know when it would be useful.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The value of my portfolio is what I paid for it. Its worth is only determined on a case by case basis; what someone will pay to acquire a DN within it.

Value is subjective, worth is a hard, irrefutable number. For example, I can value my portfolio (based on a myriad of factors) at 2 million. But is it really worth it? Someone has to take that value and meet it with a purchase to make it really worth that amount.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back