IT.COM

advice How do you see domain industry 10 years from now ?

NameSilo
Watch

Domain Monk

Mindful DomainingTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not sure about 10 years, but domains have had a good 25 years, can't see them having another 25 years.

Last 10 years the smartphone has changed how people view the net with apps and with Virtual and Augmented Reality around the corner, along with IoT ie. just about every device connected to the net in some shape or form, how we interact with the internet will change and domains will go the same way as cassette tapes/VHS's when cd's came out.

Last edited:
•••
Not sure about 10 years, but domains have had a good 25 years, can't see them having another 25 years.

Last 10 years the smartphone has changed how people view the net with apps and with Virtual and Augmented Reality around the corner, along with IoT ie. just about every device connected to the net in some shape or form, how we interact with the internet will change and domains will go the same way as cassette tapes/VHS's when cd's came out.

But none of those things have actually replaced domains. People rely on Google more to find websites, but whilst I agree with your logic I can't think of anything that could actually replace the current system.

•••
Same and different. Like 10 years ago.
I don't think domain names are going away. As long as online (and offline) advertising exists, you need (preferably good) URLs.

Quality > quantity.
Good money for good domains, and zero for crap.
More money lost than made in this industry.
Business as usual.

Yeah :)

•••
While domain industry may or may not exist after 10 years, I do not see us the domainers be a part of it.
Unfortunately...

Monopolies. Over-regulations. Most domainer-servicing companies (including - indirectly - ICANN) are already trying to extract more and more $$$ from a middleman (a domainer), and this issue will become more and more disturbing. A lot of speculative $$$ coming in - doomed to fail in most cases, but with these $$$ it would be hard / impossible to replenish portfolios (and remain profitable) in a long run.

And, the above applies to current environment. It is also likely that the environment would be changed - new technologies etc, saying nothing about that after 10 years todays teenagers who are spending all the time in facebook and the like will grow - and most will be happy without any domain name for their business or personal needs. Go to facebook or another social network - and you are all set, no need to purchase a domain paying a regfee or aftermarket price.

The only good thing ICANN did was an introduction of new GTLDs. Nobody wants or needs them generally speaking, however with all the $$$ invested into this thing the whole domaining ecosystem will have longer life if we think about it.

•••
It'll be as shady and corrupt as it is today. Maybe worse. Brrrr.

•••
But none of those things have actually replaced domains. People rely on Google more to find websites, but whilst I agree with your logic I can't think of anything that could actually replace the current system.

Because they are still in their infancy, laptops/desktops aren't going to last forever, once they are no longer required domains will not no longer be required.

It's not going to happen in the foreseeable for future, 10 years from now people will still be using computers/laptops but it will happen. One things certain in life, the old always makes way for the new and tech progresses so fast. Computers/domains have done well to last 25+ years, not many things last that long, are they going to last another 25 years?

In my opinion 25 years from now how we access the internet is going be so different, I'd be very surprised if people still typing www. on keyboards.

Evidence of change is already happening, rise of the smartphones in the last 10 years (apps)/rise of social media, some companies opting not to have their own website for business but social networking pages instead (Facebook/Instagram/YouTube/Twitter/LinkedIn).

Last edited:
•••
Evidence of change is already happening, rise of the smartphones in the last 10 years (apps)/rise of social media, some companies opting not to have their own website for business but social networking pages instead (Facebook/Instagram/YouTube/Twitter/LinkedIn).

It is strange. Maybe I'm old school. But almost every corporate social media site I've ever seen does not compare at all to the richness of what a corporate website can display. What it does have is a dialogue with people, mostly customers or potential customers. When I look at FaceBook. It's SO rigid.

Are there any apps which can bring these people to the websites rather than the companies giving up their websites in favor of social media? I personally think that would be a much better option. IMHO.

•••
It is strange. Maybe I'm old school. But almost every corporate social media site I've ever seen does not compare at all to the richness of what a corporate website can display. What it does have is a dialogue with people, mostly customers or potential customers. When I look at FaceBook. It's SO rigid.

Are there any apps which can bring these people to the websites rather than the companies giving up their websites in favor of social media? I personally think that would be a much better option. IMHO.

For sure the way the world and internet is now a website is better and will be for the foreseeable future, a large chunk of my savings are invested in domains, so i hope so anyway.

All I'm saying at some point how we access the internet will probably change and this thread is about a time frame if/when that change might happen.

Last edited:
•••
For sure the way the world and internet is now a website is better and will be for the foreseeable future, a large chunk of my savings are invested in domains, so i hope so anyway.

All I'm saying at some point how we access the internet will probably change and this thread is about a time frame if/when that change might happen.

I wasn't being critical of your post. At all. If you thought that. I apologize. It was just a random thought from my head about why I dislike so much the propensity of some companies giving up their websites and moving to the RIGIDITY of social media.

•••
Pretty much the same. Not sure why these threads pop up a few times a year. The internet isn't going anywhere, the millions of sites out there aren't going anywhere, who knows how many new sites launch each day, they all need an address (domain).

•••
Pretty much the same. Not sure why these threads pop up a few times a year. The internet isn't going anywhere, the millions of sites out there aren't going anywhere, who knows how many new sites launch each day, they all need an address (domain).

They could always type in the IPv6 address instead :)

•••
There is a huge chance that domains may in fact no longer exist in 10 years.

We could have a short lived emjoi only experience of domains in the next 2 years.

The internet is changing and dying it will be replaced for sure, with a much faster cleaner user experience.

Various things may happen as people are already working on a gesture system (which replaces web), and AI is growing. More importantly app use is wide spread and may be the deciding factor in the demise of domains.

Another thing having a huge impact on domains future is apps, it will get to the point where everyone just downloads an app to see the site. Google search will be replaced with people only using the app, when you click to see the link in search results bam in 2 seconds the app will download so you can see the content. You will then speak to your phone or device to launch the app when you want to see the content which used to be on a domain.

None, of the stuff discussed by me is far fetched and there is much evidence just as video rental stores have disappeared entirely, in favor of a machine in the same way apps will replace domains.

In, the future it will be essential to reserve your site name in an app form before someone else does! There will be a race to get your name in apple app store and android app stores. That creates a huge chance that selling the name of your app to a new person or company to use will prove valuable. That raises the question what will we call ourselves as we will no longer be domainers?

Last edited:
•••
None, of the stuff discussed by me is far fetched

It actually is farfetched along with - "There is a huge chance that domains may in fact no longer exist in 10 years."

No longer exist? So where exactly is the internet and millions of sites going to go? Do you realize how much content is out there?

•••
It actually is farfetched along with - "There is a huge chance that domains may in fact no longer exist in 10 years."

No longer exist? So where exactly is the internet and millions of sites going to go? Do you realize how much content is out there?
Apps replace domains. Just read carefully next time before jumping to conclusions. There will be a central database to store in cloud where the app get's the info just no need for domains.

Last edited:
•••
Apps replace domains. Just read carefully next time before jumping to conclusions. There will be a central database to store in cloud where the app get's the info just no need for domains.

You should think carefully next time you post ridiculous stuff. Most use apps just as another way to access their content, not replace it. And most sites out there aren't available via app.

•••
You should think carefully next time you post ridiculous stuff. Most use apps just as another way to access their content, not replace it. And most sites out there aren't available via app.
There are already numerous apps out there that don't have websites. No, one needs a website to provide content an app does the job perfectly.

•••
Better, question for you whom disagree to answer and contribute is, please provide info to us, why do you personally think domains will exist in future? What do you think it will be like in 10 years?

•••
Better, question for you whom disagree to answer and contribute is, please provide info to us, why do you personally think domains will exist in future? What do you think it will be like in 10 years?

Already did in my first reply in this thread.

•••
Apps will replace it is solid fact, the internet is dying. Thanks.

•••
I think it'll be mostly the same. Apps won't be replacing domains anytime soon, if at all. Go try making one and you'll see the barrier to entry and if Apple doesn't like your app it doesn't go in the store. Sure you have Android but that's not the whole market and you're missing out on the other users. This is not the same as domains and websites with content. Nice try though to the wannabe trolls in this thread :ROFL:

With a domain and website you can have one online in 10 minutes with almost no barrier to stop you.

•••

as it is now, web apps (web sites that act and feel like an app on your phone) are making a huge impact and are cutting into the standalone app market...

domain names are not just to find a site or a service, they are to name and brand companies.

•••
@urlurl Apps are not just to find a site or a service, they are to name and brand companies, and are easily going to replace domains.

•••
•••
people thought app's would replace domains and websites 10 years ago... didnt happen, and it doesn't look like its going to.

apps are handy for little tools and games - IMO

but if i want to do some research, work, book a trip, etc - im using a computer - easier than scrolling through a micro screen and using my big thumbs to type on my micro keyboard on my phone, lol

•••
Back