NameSilo

How Do You Price (Value) Domain Name of New Technology Once it Becomes Huge?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'd appreciate some advice on how you would price a domain name to sell if it was that of a new technology/innovation that has suddenly taken off? In my case, 3D Virtual Reality(VR) is suppose to become available for gaming etc. sometime between 2014 and 2015 as a company called Oculus Rift has apparently made the technology operational in a way it wasn't before. As a result, I registered the names 3DVRAPP.com, 3DVRGAMING.com and 3DVRSOFTWARE.COM at the standard Godaddy registration price. The person who owns 3DVR.COM has priced this at only $4,000 as of today.

Let's say 3DVR becomes the biggest craze in 2015, how would you price these domains if that happened? For example, lets say hypothetically you owned the domain, smarttv.com a few years before it became a reality when it didn't mean much to anyone and now that it is of consumer awareness how do you sell it without underpricing it? Any advice is welcome. Sorry if this sounds long winded.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When it comes to pricing domains you have two groups of people:

1. Worried they are not asking enough and to make sure they are safe they price names very high.

2. They ask themselves what would I be happy with price wise? Whats the bare minimum id be happy with.

Group 1 describes most people in this business, broke and end up desperately selling a name to pay off a ton of others, gradually dropping names they once priced too high because the market vanished.

Group 2 describes the rare breed of domainer, they set aside the greed, stupidly and lotto fantasies, they sell names all the time and keep doing so all day long.

You and I both know each name is an individual identity, what someone else priced his name is meaningless, even what recently sold doesn't mean much. Ask yourself right now, what will I be happy with getting, whats the bare minimum, stop worrying if you could of gotten more etc

Nothing personal but felt someone must say this.

•••
:talk:

whatever it is....better price it to sell, before that technology becomes old

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back