Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dmchaka

Established Member
Impact
Let’s hear your inspiration system

How do you get ideas?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I look at dropped domain lists. They give me lot of ideas.

•••
I check the expiry auction lists. They bring a lot of good ideas/domains.

Last edited:
•••
My kids. Fresh perspectives, words.. lead to some research and viable future-ready names.

•••
Domain auctions can teach a lot about current market value for example on dropcatch

•••
reported sales, news, namebio.

•••
Traveling and hanging out with people from different cultures are great sources of inspiration too

•••
Also, may I say:

You don't need ideas. Ideas will come to you eventually - from any direction.

You need experience.

That comes with time, money, sweat and often hurt in this industry.

Good luck

•••
- Check digital or even regional news outlets related to your niche or broad target areas (our figure out potential new ones). Read articles and comment opinions to gage what is happening now and what may happen in the near future. Brainstorm from there...

- Use Chat GPT or other ai services to ask many questions related to business and ecosystems revolving around digital and online applications to your target niches. Its a great opportunity gather information about companies for targeted outreach, as well as many other aspects of what you should focus on for acquisition or for sales.

- Read forums and other forms of social media to see what is going on and what is trending. What real normal people think about stuff, and how they approach things they want or need to do.

- Do check the drop lists and expired auctions lists and just be patient. Know what keywords you want to target and just wait for opportunities. You don't need to get your new idea inventory all in one day or one week or one month. No need to hand reg too much. If you see a new key word or key phrase pop up in the news or social media, look into it quickly and if it looks promising then hand reg a few pure domains if they are still there.. do not settle! Do not hand reg more than 25% of you new idea inventory. Dont spray and pray, let your mind think and play, but take your time.

Last edited:
•••
I personally find it easier to look at lists of domains and judge those, than to create new ideas out of thin air.

Sometimes a domain on the list will give you ideas.

There can be a major difference between coming up with "cute" brands and valuable domains.

While there is room for creativity, sometimes being too creative is a hinderance when it comes to domain investing IMO.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
By staring at my navel.
... wormhole that has spawned you? (and everyone else)

Edit: There definitely is some Vulcan logic in that meditation

Last edited:
•••
email newletters in my selected Niche...eg LeafWire

Expire name auctions....shortnames.com

Being at the right place at the right time to create fresh registrations

Cheers
Corey

•••
This is a great thread! Thanks to @Dmchaka for starting it, and for all who have replied. It is a topic I have considered writing about for the NamePros Blog, and perhaps the discussion here will spur me to really research and write it.

For me, there are certain niches that interest me, so for those I am constantly on the lookout for creating names or finding expired/expiring names. More often than not it is not so much the expiring name directly interests me, but rather it gives an idea for a related name.

Reading news, especially tech news, discussions here on NamePros, and from social media all helps suggest ideas.

As I walk around community, or read books, or watch tv, or especially hear commentary, constantly ideas pop into my head, most of which never find a relevant name.

I sporadically enter naming contests at SH. While I have not been successful in making money that way, seeing what people are searching for a name in, and my own efforts in responding, are a source for ideas. A few names I have come from names I proposed but were not selected.

I have tried a service that proposes names based on AI. While most of the names I do not like, that did generate a few ideas I would not have thought of.

I regularly read the new names added to BrandBucket, not to closely mimic any, but often that strikes home with how effective a certain qualifier word would be.

Similarly, the SH statistics shared about things like popular leading and trailing words sometimes generate other ideas.

-Bob

•••
Trends before become trends.

•••

How do you get ideas?
I agree with Bob Hawkes comment, "This is a great thread!"

Dmchaka, since you started this thread Saturday @ 3:55am I've had no fewer than a dozen ideas. Many of my friends to include my wife think my brain is ready to explode from all the ideas. Even your post generated the idea for the domain ideas4money(.)com. And while I haven't bought it YET, i may by the time you read this:xf.wink:

Songs, Book Titles, News, Sports, NamePros, Vanity License Plates are all places that inspire ideas? Thinking back 70 years ago I named my first dog "Bingo" also, "Bingo was his Name-O" after a song, and I've been naming shit ever since:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Budget Friendly = NameSpinner

If you have decent capital = Hit the auction houses

Develop for multiple streams of income.

•••
I listen to a lot of news. It rarely happens, but if I can catch a trendy word live and sense it's going to explode, I try to get the dot com for that trendy word. But this morning Elon Musk hinted that he would be changing "tweet" to "xeet". I know it sounds a bit awkward to pronounce, but then so do other sites. In any case I snagged these names:

xeet.us
xeet.info
xeet.dev
xeet.ai
xeetai.com
xeetbot.com

Let's see what happens.

•••
Certain slang words and/or phrases that occur with some degree of frequency on social media (and IRL/in-person) usually do it for me.

Last edited:
•••
•••

How do you get ideas?

Go to computer.com. You can ask this AI almost anything. If it won't answer it, identify its reason and then rephrase the question and ask it again.

First I asked it, "How do you get ideas?" It replied by explaining why it couldn't answer that question.

Then I rephrased the question and asked it:

List ways to come up with ideas.

Here is its answer:

There are several effective ways to come up with ideas. Here are a few methods you can try:

1. Brainstorming: Gather a group of people and generate ideas together, encouraging free thinking and creativity.

2. Mind mapping: Start with a central idea and create a visual representation of related concepts branching outwards. This can help stimulate new ideas.

3. Research and exploration: Learn about different topics, industries, and trends to gain inspiration and identify potential areas for innovation.

4. Problem-solving: Identify challenges or pain points and brainstorm potential solutions. This can lead to new ideas and innovations.

5. Collaboration: Engage in discussions and collaborations with others, as different perspectives can spark fresh ideas and insights.

6. Embrace diversity: Surround yourself with people from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and disciplines. This can bring in a range of perspectives and ideas.

7. Take breaks and relax: Sometimes, stepping away from a problem or task can help clear your mind and allow new ideas to emerge.

8. Keep a journal or idea log: Write down any ideas that come to mind, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant. Reviewing these notes later may trigger new ideas.

Remember, the key is to be open-minded, curious, and willing to explore different avenues.

Than I asked it, "Describe an inspiration system."

It answered:

An inspiration system can refer to a process or set of practices designed to foster creativity and generate new ideas. It typically involves various techniques and approaches to stimulate innovative thinking. Here's a description of an inspiration system:

1. Environment: Creating an environment that promotes creativity and inspiration is essential. This can include having open and collaborative workspaces, comfortable and stimulating surroundings, and access to resources that support creative thinking.

2. Curiosity and Exploration: Encouraging a mindset of curiosity and continuous learning is crucial. This involves actively seeking out new experiences, exploring different perspectives, and being open to diverse ideas and knowledge.

3. Stimulating Input: Exposing oneself to a variety of stimuli can help trigger inspiration. This can involve reading books, articles, or research papers, watching documentaries or movies, attending conferences or workshops, or engaging in conversations with experts in different fields.

4. Idea Generation Techniques: Utilizing specific techniques like brainstorming, mind mapping, or SCAMPER (Substitute, Combine, Adapt, Modify, Put to another use, Eliminate, Reverse) can help generate new ideas by systematically exploring different possibilities and perspectives.

5. Collaboration and Feedback: Engaging in discussions and collaborations with others can provide fresh insights and perspectives. Seeking feedback from colleagues, mentors, or experts can help refine and improve ideas.

6. Reflection and Iteration: Taking time for reflection and introspection allows for the refinement and iteration of ideas. This involves critically evaluating and analyzing the feasibility, impact, and potential of the generated ideas.

7. Implementation and Action: An inspiration system should also include a mechanism for translating ideas into action. This involves setting goals, creating action plans, and taking steps to execute and realize the ideas.

Remember, an inspiration system can be personalized and tailored to individual preferences and working styles. The goal is to create an environment and adopt practices that stimulate creativity, encourage innovative thinking, and facilitate idea generation.

My final ask was, "Write a story about a man who had ideas and succeeded."

It wrote this:

Once upon a time, in a small town, there lived a man named Oliver. Oliver was a dreamer and a thinker, full of ideas that seemed to overflow from his mind. He had a burning passion for innovation and a relentless desire to make a positive impact on the world.

Oliver had always been fascinated by renewable energy and its potential to transform the way we power our lives. He believed that harnessing the power of the sun could lead to a cleaner and more sustainable future. With this idea in mind, he set out on a mission to develop affordable and efficient solar panels that could be easily installed in homes and businesses.

Despite facing numerous challenges and skeptics along the way, Oliver remained determined. He spent countless hours researching, experimenting, and collaborating with experts in the field. He knew that to succeed, he needed to create a product that was not only technologically advanced but also economically viable for the masses.

After years of hard work and perseverance, Oliver finally developed a breakthrough solar panel design that surpassed all expectations. It was highly efficient, durable, and cost-effective. Excited by his achievement, he founded a company called SolarTech and began manufacturing and distributing his innovative solar panels.

Word of Oliver's remarkable invention quickly spread, and people from all over the world started showing interest. Homeowners, businesses, and even governments saw the potential of his solar panels to reduce their carbon footprint and save money on energy costs. SolarTech became a household name, and Oliver's ideas were transforming the energy landscape.

As the demand for solar panels grew, so did Oliver's success. He expanded his company, employing more people and investing in research and development to further improve his technology. He became a respected figure in the renewable energy industry, sharing his knowledge and advocating for a greener future.

Oliver's ideas not only brought him financial success but also a deep sense of fulfillment. He knew that his contribution was making a difference, and that motivated him to keep pushing the boundaries of innovation. He continued to generate new ideas, exploring ways to integrate solar energy into various aspects of daily life.

Years later, Oliver's vision and dedication paid off. Solar energy became a mainstream source of power, and his ideas had a significant impact on reducing greenhouse gas emissions and combating climate change. Oliver's story became an inspiration for aspiring inventors and entrepreneurs, proving that with determination and a belief in one's ideas, anything is possible.

And so, the man who had ideas and succeeded, Oliver, left a lasting legacy, proving that a single individual with a vision can change the world for the better. His story serves as a reminder to us all that our ideas have the power to shape the future, and it is up to us to pursue them with unwavering passion and determination.

Last edited:
•••
twitter trends
google trends

•••
I pity the people who wear blinders and only consider the sources that confirm their biases in life.

•••
This is a great thread! Thanks to @Dmchaka for starting it, and for all who have replied. It is a topic I have considered writing about for the NamePros Blog, and perhaps the discussion here will spur me to really research and write it.

For me, there are certain niches that interest me, so for those I am constantly on the lookout for creating names or finding expired/expiring names. More often than not it is not so much the expiring name directly interests me, but rather it gives an idea for a related name.

Reading news, especially tech news, discussions here on NamePros, and from social media all helps suggest ideas.

As I walk around community, or read books, or watch tv, or especially hear commentary, constantly ideas pop into my head, most of which never find a relevant name.

I sporadically enter naming contests at SH. While I have not been successful in making money that way, seeing what people are searching for a name in, and my own efforts in responding, are a source for ideas. A few names I have come from names I proposed but were not selected.

I have tried a service that proposes names based on AI. While most of the names I do not like, that did generate a few ideas I would not have thought of.

I regularly read the new names added to BrandBucket, not to closely mimic any, but often that strikes home with how effective a certain qualifier word would be.

Similarly, the SH statistics shared about things like popular leading and trailing words sometimes generate other ideas.

-Bob
The SquadHelp naming contests are odd to me. Many require Tier A to compete, yet the pay is only a few hundred dollars. Yet they have thousands compete. I've worked in branding and the pay is so much higher. The global marketplace, I guess.

•••
It may sound silly, but exercise is a great way to clear the mind and think/visualize/brainstorm ideas.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back