Dynadot

How do you create your own domain extension?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
like if i was a rich, how would i be able to create my own for example like i make a .km?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can't get custom extensions for domains.

•••
You could simply buy a small country like the Comoros Islands that already has the .km extension. Unfortunately it's a highly unstable Islamic state so as the new leader you'll probably have a very short life :)

•••
primacomputer said:
You could simply buy a small country like the Comoros Islands that already has the .km extension. Unfortunately it's a highly unstable Islamic state so as the new leader you'll probably have a very short life :)
:lol:

•••
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

•••
i like this question. lets ask it a little bit differently: how people created .net extention for domains for example. how much money they needed to make it happen, and what exactly they did to make it happen?

•••
ICANN just decide to make it an extension and make the neccessary changes. I imagine it doesn't exactly cost anything at all...

•••
Shorty said:
ICANN just decide to make it an extension and make the neccessary changes. I imagine it doesn't exactly cost anything at all...
Dream on.

No it is not cheap or free ,in fact costs a large amount and takes for ever .
ICANN doesn't not "JUST" decide to make new extensions. Sponsored TLD or Your own extension is what you are talking about.
Visit the ICANN official website and you can checkout the requirements to get your very own .tld
Try using that computer you are sitting in front of .Do a Google search for something other than your own name. There is a lot of information on Google and other search engines on the subject of sponsored .TLD's.

Last edited:
•••
Yes! TLD's are not creatable just like that! One TLD may be used for THOUSANDs of domain names, that's something you don't want to have. .com probably have 70% of all the domains in the world. No one asked for it to be created, but it had to be there. You don't create .km easily just because you may be rich or bill gates would own the ICANN

•••
Two letter names are country names. I'm pretty sure the only way you are going to get one is to have a country. People can apply for other names. From what I recall there's a $50k application fee, and you have to make a pretty good case for the names existence. And yes, it takes time.

Also, .net was created more than a decade before ICANN was formed.

•••
•••
Dream on about your own extension..

•••
As mentioned in the link RJ posted, you can create your own extension any time you want. Just create a zone for it and it's done. I actually use this on my VPN to create domains that will only ever be locatable and contactable on the VPN; For security purposes. But there's nothing to stop you from creating new extensions and inviting the whole world to change their root servers to your servers. Aside perhaps for the bandwidth you'd need to have to handle all those queries if people actually took you up on it :)

•••
SO it is posible. But i will need three letter extension?

•••
wow for tadley i could do a .tad wahoo

•••
You can create nearly any extension you want on your own name servers. In the past I've made single letter “TLDs” such as .a, and longer ones such as .dingleberries.

Give it a try if you like. Go into your network settings and set your name server to 202.67.217.85. Then open your browser and visit:
http://www.google.dingleberries/

P.S.: If any suckers who paid for a new net or public root name want to pay me for a dingleberries one I'll do you a great deal :)

•••
primacomputer said:
You can create nearly any extension you want on your own name servers. In the past I've made single letter “TLDs” such as .a, and longer ones such as .dingleberries.

Give it a try if you like. Go into your network settings and set your name server to 202.67.217.85. Then open your browser and visit:
http://www.google.dingleberries/

P.S.: If any suckers who paid for a new net or public root name want to pay me for a dingleberries one I'll do you a great deal :)

WOW. It works! Cool!

Btw, how do you do it?

•••
I just created a dingleberries zone on my DNS. Then I added an A record that points to a google address.

That's all there is to it. No special software, no black magic :)

•••
hmmm thats cool.

i want to do this =)

i well in fact test this out =)

•••
•••
Or join the dingleberries movement. They have equally good chances of becoming universally accepted :)

•••
The .TK is the best example how to own the TLD extension.

visit http://www.dot.tk

good luck! :hehe:

Or I can offer you any_subdomain_on_LOCALITY.EU you wish! :xf.love:
:)

•••
reg.log said:
The .TK is the best example how to own the TLD extension.

visit http://www.dot.tk

good luck! :hehe:
That is the Best example I have seen for WRONG info
.tk is not a OWNed tld

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back