IT.COM

question How do you create a perceived need among Geo buyers?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bernard Wright

Established Member
Impact
I've never tried selling a geo domain and I have one particular reg I'm considering, so I thought I'd ask: how do you create a need among buyers? Presumably, most businesses are doing fine without your geo domain. Do you sell the buyers on the prospect of rebranding to the geo name? Or perhaps by preemptively purchasing the geo domain they can dissuade others from branding themselves as such? And lastly, do you email all the potential buyers individually, or do you add everyone's email address in the "to" field at once and create a stir? Doing so seems a bit devious but also seems like the most effective way to create demand. I wonder what the seasoned pros do.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First things first, email them all personally. Adding all parties in to page and sending the email once is dubious approach IMHO.
Now about demand, more often than not people who ask how would name benefit them would not buy the name, I have sold some in above scenario and here's how it went.
The very basic thing about geos is that in an industry where competition is fierce, people don't want rivals to get their hands on anything that has remote possibility of giving them a competitive advantage. Secondly, contrary to popular opinion geos do get type in traffic (very limited but effective) these type ins could be pre qualified leads. Lastly, geos can be ranked to enhance online footprint and are quite good for local marketing.

Creating demand is not something you need to do, most people operating businesses specially in US market already own dozens of geos and EMDs so they do realize value thus its merely about presenting them the opportunity, I hope this answers your question.

•••
•••
Really, the real "issue" you may be having with these names is:
"create a perceived need"
You should be buying names that HAVE a need, if you have to create one, you dont believe it's a need and the buyer will often precieve that as well - and then you are pitching something they dont really need.

•••
Exact match domains still get preferential ranking treatment by Yahoo and Bing. So with a relatively simple site one could probably rank in the first couple pages. Search traffic is dominated by Google but a page one ranking in a search engine would at least be a selling point. If they ask for traffic stats the answer will likely be low. But how much is a lead worth to the end user - should be higher for real estate.

•••
The domain is a [Geo]Realty.com. I moved on it last night and have a list of agents I'll contact. It looks like these tend to sell for low $xxx based on Namebio but I'm going to price it in the mids and see how it goes.

•••
I've spent some time looking at geos. I've found a couple that are spot-on with some businesses when I run a Yelp search in that area. CityBusiness.com, exact match. It's surprising that the business owners haven't regged the names. I used the word "devious" in my first post. @UmerK used the word "dubious". Let's keep the d theme going and call it perhaps a bit dodgy to reg the name and try to sell it to the business owner.

Again, what do the pros do? Perhaps you refrain from regging and reach out to offer them a package with web design?

•••
I've spent some time looking at geos. I've found a couple that are spot-on with some businesses when I run a Yelp search in that area. CityBusiness.com, exact match. It's surprising that the business owners haven't regged the names. I used the word "devious" in my first post. @UmerK used the word "dubious". Let's keep the d theme going and call it perhaps a bit dodgy to reg the name and try to sell it to the business owner.

Again, what do the pros do? Perhaps you refrain from regging and reach out to offer them a package with web design?

I believe you misunderstood use of dubious above, I meant to say the approach to having all end users in "to" field and sending email once is a dubious approach.

As far as buying geos and selling them are concerned, that's all I do - I have now established a model which constant for now, I do not find this practice dubious at all.

•••
I agree that it would be devious/dubious to put all addresses together in the “to” field.

You don’t consider it dodgy to reg CityBusiness.com and then knock on their door to sell it to them without providing any added value?

•••
I presume from your having liked that post that you do engage in such practices. Do you outbound?

•••
I've spent some time looking at geos. I've found a couple that are spot-on with some businesses when I run a Yelp search in that area. CityBusiness.com, exact match. It's surprising that the business owners haven't regged the names.

Local businesses rarely rely on online selling. Thus possible website/domain combinations are not their first necessity. Can you create a perceived need? Maybe and usually if you know the potential buyers in person, or if you have a sales team who will sell face to face.

You can't create perceived need online or remotely unless you have a large advertisement budget. Perceived need is usually created to sell mass produced products to millions of buyers. I don't think large advertisement budgets to create perceived needs will be financially feasible in selling unique products like domain names.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back