IT.COM

security How do we block SMS spam and robocalling based on Whois info? It’s out of control!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I registered a domain name last week using a Google Voice number so I could track the marketing. I received two SMS messages from people pitching logo design and video production within 24 hours. One around midnight. I also received a phone call from someone offering to create a website on my new domain name.
But regardless of blame, I hope that registrars can come together to take out the revenue side of this equation. It might be a game of Whack-a-Mole, but can we give it a shot?
Email spam is easy to handle. Robocalls and SMS are not...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
If you find the spammers domain and they have even one line of bogus whois info, submit a Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form and make their life miserable in return.

•••
I seriously am tired of hearing about this...this is by far, the easiest problem to solve...all you have to do is use privacy, available for free at most reputable registrars. Bam, problem solved. Contrary to what some people on here will tell you, you aren't going to lose sales because 1. Most privacy emails forward to your email and 2. If you are trying to sell the domain, you obviously either have it listed on auction sites and/or have a landing page to contact you.

•••
What if Whois added a line below your phone number in the record, that a domain owner could activate, that said, " This number is on the Do Not Call registry", might help lessen the more than 10 calls a day I get from web service providers. The emails while plentiful are easily discarded, but still a nuisance, but the phone calls all day are ridiculous!

•••
What if Whois added a line below your phone number in the record, that a domain owner could activate, that said, " This number is on the Do Not Call registry", might help lessen the more than 10 calls a day I get from web service providers. The emails while plentiful are easily discarded, but still a nuisance, but the phone calls all day are ridiculous!

Yeah, I'm sure the Indian spammers will really care that you are on the Do Not Call registry. lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back