Domain Empire

How do these work?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Right, I understand how to make a webpage and host it . . . I also know how a URL redirection service works. The thing I am confused about is how do I handle my own domain name, independent of other websites etc? Like owning the domain outright and it not being tied to a website, say the one that sold it to me.

Also, if I host a website using an online service, and then get a domain name and redirect it to that address . . . will it just display 'www.thedomainname.com' all the time? Or will it be like this . . . 'www.thedomainname.com/index.htm' or 'www.thedomainname.com/pictures/picture1.jpg'

I hope you understand my questions . . . and I hope I understand the answers. Sorry if this has been posted before.

Thanks,
Dist.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ok,look if you want when somebody click yourdomain.com see a website you have 2 possibilities to do this, the one is url forwarding but it sucks(then why have you bought the top level domain?).
The other is DNS, your host gives you for example 2 dns urls:
ns1.host.com
ns2.host.com
you get these urls and add them at your domain(the most domain registars support it), after that you can see your website like yourdomain.com/index.html or yorudomai.com/forums
have fun

•••
Thankyou very much. My aunty cleared it up for me and this helped too. I'm getting a .com domain soon I think :D

Thanks again.

•••
it's helpful for me too. i am a newbie

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back