IT.COM

How do I find out how many visitors a website has?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

conjunctionherbs

Impact
I'm kind of new to domains and creating websites - how do I see how much visitors my website is getting???

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The best way to find this data would be to just ask the website owner directly as they would be able to give you accurate results. I’m assuming you’re asking this as you’re interested in buying out a website and if that’s the case you might also want to ask for a screenshot of the websites stats for the past 3-6 months or so.

Alternatively, you can try alexa.com or compete.com

Hope that helps.

•••
You mentioned *your* website, not someone else's , correct?

I use statcounter and google analytics

•••
If you have cpanel, login and scroll down and click on awstats

•••
Here is what i do:

If it is not your website and you want to know what traffic it gets. The it is very hard to know unless you contact the owner for that info. Or you have to use some 3rd party websites like alexa.com, woorank.com,statscrop.com to get an idea.

There are some metrics like alexa rank which is not accurate but you can get an idea. Another way to get an idea is back link. The site that has a very popular niche and a lots of back link and also ranks at top 2 pages of google is more likely to get a lot of traffic. By calculation you can get an idea how much it can get ( Though its not that accurate )

Now if it is your own website then you have full control. You can use your cpanel stats or any web hosting company stats to know how much traffic you get.

Beside that the more control able and deep stats are provided with google analytics. You can see how many traffic you get each day, Where they come from, how long each of them stay at your site, which page they stay the most, where they go from page to page with in your site and where and when they drop from your website. Beside that you can track where users click the most. You can also see live update of those info via google analytics.

Or you may also build a custom php function for your website which will give you more control over your website traffic. Then you not only can see when, where, who visits your site you can limit there usages and a lot more....

Thanks.

•••
Any webmaster should use google webmaster tools for better view on visitor stats and page optimizations, also you can use monitoring solutions like awstats

•••
For your own website you can install any number of analytics such as Google Analytics or Piwik etc. Google is good but it counts fake bot traffic from referal spam too.

•••
I recommend Google Analytics, it's the best of external tools I've ever used.

•••
Alexa is just not a good way to look at the traffic. I highly recommend using SEMrush.com, which is much more accurate. It will even give you data about their PPC spend (if they're doing that) and give you their keyword list, what they're ranking or, and soforth.

•••
http://www.similarweb.com has a firefox addon that gives a lot of nice stats on most websites, I ran it on Namepros and it estimates 430k visitors a month with a 46% bounce rate , nice.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back