Dynadot

How Accurate is GoDaddy Appraisal (GoValue)?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
How accurate do you reckon is Godaddy Appraisal (GoValue) to real prices?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
It's very good.

Thanks for the reply. How good is it? If I find a domain valued at $1900, is it definitely worth buying?

•••
for bulk check pls check this post

•••
You should never count on any one metric in evaluating a domain name. GoValue (and Estibot) can be useful, but are sometimes very wrong. They have different limitations. I find that GoValue does a much better job with meaningful comparators than Estibot, although the search and advertiser information on Estibot are good. GoValue does not properly handle different new extensions at all, however.

You should use NameBio to find similar past sales as part of your process of valuation. Try to find similar names, and note date and venue as well as price. Most importantly, make a list of those who might want the domain name, and try to determine how unique the name is in terms of competition, as any domain name is only worth as much as someone will pay for it.

I have done a couple of analysis on how GoValue does in terms of accuracy. In one just released today I look at a study of premium .CO extension domain names. On average GoValue over-estimated the worth by a factor of 2.4, although it was somewhat successful (correlation index 0.50) in predicting which were more valuable. Here is a graph showing the values in the analysis.
GraphCOmodGVauction2018.png

Earlier I had done an analysis for NNNNN.com domain names. For that group on average GoValue agreed almost exactly with the sales average price for the group, however the correlation in predicting which names were more valuable was very weak. Note that for this set I did the selling price on the y axis, while it was on the x above. As you can see the data is pretty scattered in this case.
NNNNNnamejetAug11GraphGV.png

Here are the links giving complete details:
if you do a search there has been lots of discussion re the accuracy, or more precisely lack thereof, of automated appraisals. Even though samples small, and just for two cases, these provide a quantitative look at accuracy.

Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back