Dynadot

discuss How about.CA domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainnews

domaining story-tellerTop Member
Impact
Hey ,guys what do you think of .CA domains ?I wanna reg a .CA domain , but seems that the registry required personal info,right?anyone can help me ?

much appreciate it

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
in canada we cannot register every name.some names are restricted and cannot be bought.you may be thinking about a word that even we can't.buy.
Thanks!

•••
Another option is to lease it from a Canadian...not sure if OP plans on developing site.

This isn't legal either. A domain cannot be leased to another entity unless that entity also meets the canadian presence requirements. That is clearly laid out in the CIRA regulations for .ca domains too.

•••
This isn't legal either. A domain cannot be leased to another entity unless that entity also meets the canadian presence requirements. That is clearly laid out in the CIRA regulations for .ca domains too.

Thanks @rlm, guess I was.given bad.advice.

Was told that as long as.I owned the domain, I can "redirect" it to wherever I choose. In my case, GEO (California) + keyword.

•••

I know that's what is says in the CIRA handbook, but how do IP holding companies like Mark Monitor get away with it?

I think it's one of those "don't ask, don't tell" kind of deals.

•••
As I read the requirements they could operate as a partnership registered in Canada with at least 2/3 of partners meeting Canadian requirements. Not sure if they actually use this (or possibly an unincorporated association). Canadian registered corporations are of course allowed directly.

1. Trust. A trust established and subsisting under the laws of a province or territory of Canada, more than 66.6% of whose trustees meet one of the conditions set out in paragraphs (a) to (d) above;
  2. Partnership. A partnership, more than 66.6% of whose partners meet one of the conditions set out in paragraphs (a) to (e) above, which is registered as a partnership under the laws of any province or territory of Canada;
  3. Association. An unincorporated organization, association or club:

(i) at least 80% of whose members: (A) are ordinarily resident in Canada (if such members are individuals); or (B) meet one of the conditions set out in paragraphs (a) to (f) above (if such members are not individuals); and

(ii) at least 80% of whose directors, officers, employees, managers, administrators or other representatives are ordinarily resident in Canada;

•••
I know that's what is says in the CIRA handbook, but how do IP holding companies like Mark Monitor get away with it?

I think it's one of those "don't ask, don't tell" kind of deals.

Good question. I'm sure some companies actually do have a Canadian presence, maybe a trademark or an office. I also presume some or possibly many don't. I haven't really tried to figure that out. Although it would be interesting to know, it really wouldn't benefit me to know. So I just wouldn't encourage the concept of leasing a domain to someone that doesn't meet the presence test since its explicitly mentioned.

If CIRA truly cared about the presence, Mark Monitor would certainly be a great first place to run an audit!

•••
It's all good to talk and give advice but the main question I would have is .... Does the domain have value?

Why bother with any of this unless you can make money?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back