Dynadot

interviews How a Hacker Stole KZRA.com – With Mailynne and Christian Calvin

NameSilo
Watch

DomainSherpa

DomainSherpa.comVIP Member
DomainSherpa.com
Impact
Whenever I hear of domain names being stolen, I reach out to the investor to express my support and to determine if they figured out how it was stolen. Because with that knowledge, you can prevent a theft the next time.

But each time I reach out, I’m disappointed to learn that they have no idea how it was stolen…until today.

We’re going to learn exactly how the KZRA.com domain name was stolen – because the hacker told the owners how he did it – and what you can do to protect your domain names.

http://www.domainsherpa.com/calvins-domain-theft/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For those wanting a quick synopsis of how the domain was stolen... If I understood the interview correctly, it appears his AOL account was compromised using data from a LinkedIn data breach that leaked emails and passwords? The thief then used his AOL account to change his GoDaddy details (password etc) then transferred the domain out of GoDaddy to Namesilo.

CHRISTIAN: Yeah, and at this point, I want information. And so he was very vague with the information. He wasn’t really giving me in depth of how he did it and what he did, so that went on for probably a few days, because…and that’s actually still going on. He just has not really satisfied the “This is what happened, this is what you need to do.” Because even as we talk right now, he could be doing something. I don’t know that. I don’t trust him, you know.

MICHAEL: He did give you some information, right? He told you in general terms what he did, and you and I have chatted about it a little bit what I think has happened. So, you know, and this is the frustrating thing, is as I said in the intro, I hear about a lot of domains being stolen. I can never get to the root cause of how they were stolen, how they got access to the email account, how they got into the GoDaddy account. But you asked him, “How did you do it?” And you may not have the whole story yet, but we can sort of deduct some things. And what did he tell you about how he did it?

CHRISTIAN: Well, he said that he comprised, obviously, my AOL account first and then compromised my GoDaddy account after that. But how he got the information was through, like, a LinkedIn data set breach. So I Googled…I mean, obviously, we looked that up, and that happened in, I don’t know

•••
It would seem that any milieu (sigh) is vulnerable to hackers.
But his critical is a Linked In account? With every login you're feeding their database.
Maybe pol should walk back his many crossover accounts they have online with very little return.

p.s. Ppl still have aol accounts? Maybe the hacker breached that system due to legacy system vulnerability. Maybe the hacker worked his way in between patches and squirmed into the system using conventions of account management security and I.T. managers are supposed to know better than to continue using.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back