Dynadot

Hostgator Review: Avoid wasting your money.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi all,

1. Hostgator somehow manages to have a lot of support among many webmasters.
2. My experience includes very high server loads, and...
3. ...a frequently detectable slowness in response time.

There support will claim massive server loads are 'still OK', and refuse to move your account.
I see no reason to waste even a penny on Hostgator.
~~~~~~~~~~

I'm curious why they are able to keep so many loyal customers?
When you recommend bad hosting to others, eventually someone will notice you gave them horrible advice.

Avoid wasting your money on the Gator.

Edit: After remaining undecided and keeping my Hostgator account open for months, I finally 'had enough', and posted this on three different forums.
  • My intention was to try to help others, and I'm not looking for a 'dramatic debate' (with Gator supporters)

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the advice, I'll stay away from them in the future.

•••
I agree with your post, i had the same issue. I decided to cancel my account. I would not recommend host gator.

•••
I've heard both good and bad about them in the past. I have a good friend that uses them and he's been happy to date I believe. As with all large companies, I think it's a matter of where you stand and is subject to personal experiences.

•••
yea, I have been fine with them (i have been with them about 5 months now, I think).

shame you had a bad experience.

•••
I have been using them over a year with no problem. You can't please everyone though.

•••
CrazyTech said:
I've heard both good and bad about them in the past. I have a good friend that uses them and he's been happy to date I believe. As with all large companies, I think it's a matter of where you stand and is subject to personal experiences.
Same.

I've used them for a year now, never had a problem. The PHP as CGI bothered me a little though :P I'm not renewing my hosting there since I moved to my VPS at jaguarpc though.

•••
Well I have a dedi server at hostgator and a resseller acount and all is fine, I have 4 months using hostgator and my experience is positive.

Support help me alot, and respose is really fast in my case.

prices are great .

•••
prices are not great on there dedicated.. sooo many better prices.. check webhostingtalk.com //

•••
I think a lot of people are split over Host Gator. I hear tons of people say that they love them, while many others express their dislike. I guess it all depends on what server your on.

Personally I would recommend HostingZoom. I've been using them (ResellerZoom) for a few months now and am very pleased.

•••
I think a lot of this stems from their recent growth. For a while, you heard next to nothing bad from HG clients about the service. Just about everything you saw was a rave review. I can't say I've seen a lot of people who have been with them a while and have become unhappy.

However, I do think that they have grown a little faster than they intended and there is a downside to this. I'm not trying to put a competitor down in this - I don't really consider us to be the exact same market - but they're getting to that level where many of the other large companies are in that you here more mixed reviews.

As the saying goes, there is no perfect host, only the perfect host for you. For some it's HG and for some it's someone else.

•••
I,ve been with them (Hostgator) for over 2 years and have had no major problems with them. Again others may dissagree, but really there is always going to be slight problems with whoever you are hosting with due to the very nature of the industry.

•••
Ever since my sites (about 50 of them) were h4x0r3d on Host Gator, I never went back to them.

Their servers are insecure: either they have no firewall, or they do not update their operating systems. Your sites are vulnerable to hackers with Host Gator. I don't recommend them at all.

They rarely ever back-up sites either. :td: Lost like all my site databases.

•••
•••
Check out dreamhost.com

They have a great support from my experience.
There are pros and cons.
More information is available at webhostingtalk.com

•••
The major problem with HostGator is:
They are clearly overselling!!!

So, a day or another, their servers (at least the one were your website is hosted) are becoming saturated.

I would also avoid as hell DreamHost... They have often major network problems.

I would rather go with mid webhosting companies that are not overselling, are in business for at least 4 years and provide a good (online) support.

•••
I used Hostgator for a few months a year ago, wasn't too impressed. No major issues, just small ones, and overloaded servers.

I've used Surpass Hosting for coming up on 3 years now. Everything from shared to dedicated servers. Definitely recommend them.

•••
Hostgater is considered as a good but the worst host

•••
well, I have heard all kind of reviews for hostgator : the good, the bad and the neutral.

But when i tried them out myself, (used them for about 4 months)
I didn't find any problems.

No high server loads, no support problems, etc...

Maybe my good luck.

thanx,
Shadab.

•••
I've also used hostgator in the past, and just started using them again.
Never had much problems. Sometimes the server times out for a few seconds, but you get what you pay for. If it is critical your site is up 99.9% then invest in a dedicated server/VPS
I can recommend www.powervps.com for a virtual server. Used them for some years and the support was tremendous.

•••
King Justice said:
Ever since my sites (about 50 of them) were h4x0r3d on Host Gator, I never went back to them.

Their servers are insecure: either they have no firewall, or they do not update their operating systems.

Don't you think that it could have been something on your end that allowed a hacker to gain access to your account? Perhaps an insecure password or a script running on your account? Because if there was such a huge vulnerability, I think a lot more of the accounts would have been hacked. ;)

•••
Thanks for you review and advice :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back