NameSilo

question Horse.Horse for $2,000..What??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
I just saw the sale of Horse.Horse reported on Sedo domain sales this week for $2,000.
Why would someone spend $2,000 on such a name? Unable to figure out this sale!!

Can somebody explain??

The explanation may be fruitful in thinking from other's point of view. Maybe I am missing something when it comes to new gTLDs!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just saw the sale of Horse.Horse reported on Sedo domain sales this week for $2,000.
Why would someone spend $2,000 on such a name? Unable to figure out this sale!!

Can somebody explain??

The explanation may be fruitful in thinking from other's point of view. Maybe I am missing something when it comes to new gTLDs!!
$2000 is very cheap: very good buy and very bad sale.
Horse business is huge and Horse.Horse is an extremely memorable domain name: no one can forget a domain like this...

Last edited:
•••
TLD.TLD names are big in the aftermarket and often carry premium renewal fees.

Below are some similar sales:

top.top - $16,071
coffee.coffee - $14,500
boutique.boutique - $7,000

I guess the beauty of these domains is how easy the are to remember and recall, practically unforgettable and cognitively simple.

Horses are much admired by humans, including a lot of the worlds richest many of whom would not be seen in a pair of shoes that cost less than $2000.

Horse racing and it's associated gambling is massive business in many countries and has a huge dedicated following worldwide.

Take a look at 'The world's 10 most expensive stallions for 2016' multiply those fees by 100-150 mares which they will cover each year and multiply that again for the 15 years or so to work out ROI.

This one must have sold under the radar because $2000 is peanuts for what it could potential sell for.

Last edited:
•••
wow very cheap.
check out fashion.fashion…names like this work well.

practically unforgettable stands out from the rest.

•••
@Arpit131 As stated above, easy to remember and the rarity of being able to get one of these now vs some time ago is slim to none.

I agree that this one should have been sold for lot's more than 2K, the lowest I had seen to date was fashion.fashion for 4K but that was the same buyer of boutique.boutique that sold for 7K.

I talked abut this back in April 2015, I thought back then these would have value.

•••
wonder if same buyer or new.

•••
TLD.TLD names are big in the aftermarket and often carry premium renewal fees.

Yes, I would say that's the main reason.

But it also could be a 'calculated' sale - means a 'sale' (provision = calculated investment) to generate attention for the domain - which is happen here ;)

Last edited:
•••
Yes, I would say that's the main reason.

But it also could be a 'calculated' sale - means a 'sale' (provision = calculated investment) to generate attention for the domain - which is happen here ;)

Depends on what one would consider premium renewal. I agree the renewals on the above mentioned sales are above the standard renewal but Coffee, Finance, Boutique are all under $79.00 per year if placed at the correct register which isn't that premium. Horse.Horse appears to be normal at around $23.95 per year.

I think the only reason these domains have generated attention is that it shows a demand for left.right matching keywords. It's not planned or contrived to accomplish a purpose IMO.

•••
If the domain resolves to any horse related business I think the new name owner has a well priced gem.

The name is short, memorable to potential customers, creates a curiosity to click and, creates a buzz.

•••
I can understand your view of how its redundant but its also a one of a kind, cant have two horse.horse 's, you know.

•••
I can understand your view of how its redundant but its also a one of a kind, cant have two horse.horse 's, you know.
All domains are one of a kind/unique. You can't have two identical domains no matter what.

•••
I have no problem with this one, even the backwards of the tld should be valuable too, like moc.com

•••
All domains are one of a kind/unique. You can't have two identical domains no matter what.

You are correct but I think a better way to describe it's uniqueness/rarity is to focus on the type of domain it is and there is only one domain in each extension/TLD that shares it's type.

That makes it very, very rear !

The value of something is directly related to it's rarity eg. gold is very expensive to purchase but if gold was plentiful and easily found it could be as cheap as plastic.

•••
I have no problem with this one, even the backwards of the tld should be valuable too, like moc.com

Interseting point to note, I'm inclined to agree with you but maybe not so valuable for longer TLD's especially the ones that are difficult to spell backwards or become to hard to pronounce when read backwards.

•••
Seems like that 'horses' are big business for some people.

Not long ago pferde.net (german for horse in its plural form) sold for $50K.

•••
Seems like that 'horses' are big business for some people.

Not long ago pferde.net (german for horse in its plural form) sold for $50K.
Yes: Horses = Big business
FUSAICHI PEGASUS(a horse) sold for $70 Million...

•••
This sale makes good marketing for .Horse TLD.

•••
I don't like these types of domains. It makes absolutely no sense. Could you imagine this on a TV commercial and them saying just go to 'horse.horse'. Sounds ridiculous IMO.

•••
Horse.Horse is an amazing domain for anyone in the horse business.

They got it for a great price. Usually TLD.TLD is restricted for a very high price, I expect that the renewal price is steep.

•••
I wonder if CreditsCredits.com sounds ridiculous...

Some doubles work, while others don't

•••
dszc.com just sold for 1,700 USD. Not many would have predicted that just five years back.

The domianing world is not static. Trends come and trends die.

•••
dszc.com just sold for 1,700 USD. Not many would have predicted that just five years back.

The domianing world is not static. Trends come and trends die.
You forgot one, some trends repeat?

•••
I wonder if CreditsCredits.com sounds ridiculous...

Some doubles work, while others don't
For me: Credit.Credit is different than CreditCredit.com
Credit.Credit is unique
CreditCredit.com is not unique
Credit.com is unique

Last edited:
•••
don't matter what we think the fact is..they sell.

•••
All things considered:

great domain names= it will sell

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back