IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have been in a wait and see mode for some time on MR.
But judgement day is coming this fall when MR devices outnumber VR-ONLY devices.

But as I have always seen this AR and MR are part of VR. Not completely different things.
Most are relying on someone else's definition of the terms. If they had to force the definition, how good is it.
I knew what Augmented and Mixed meant before they came along. They just tried to pin it to a specific hardware that they should not have done. Now with all the lines of it crossed, it becomes confusing.
If you had to have one term to describe it all and be correct about it, it would be 'alternate reality'.

When it comes to DOMAINS, it all about marketing. And branding is a big part of that.
When electric cars were the thing in names 8 years ago, everyone was buying 'EV' names.
Nobody branded with the term. Yes, that is what they are called but no branding.

Tesla EV ? Volt EV ? Leaf EV ? Anyone EV??? Lots of dropped names the past 5 years.

I know it will surprise some to know I bought my first MR domain a few days ago...
MRSmartGoggles
This would represent the terminology of the MERGED REALITY CONCEPT of a fully enclosed headgear with AR/Mixed capability. Those with transparent/projection models would be classified as GLASSES.
But notice the name is a GENERIC not a BRAND.(unless you were referring it as mister)
But as I did with VR many years ago, I buy just a few (2011) and perhaps a few more in a month or two when I see I am more likely not to loose my wallet from it. I was sure of VR by 2013 and bought many names before the RIFT was offered on kickstarter. Patients is king. I did not loose anything for waiting for better signs. I have no shortage of MR names on a short list. Most are generics.

I am quite certain MR will be used in some limited ways, but widespread adoption in branding is something I will have to see to believe. It could likely "CREEP-IN" at a much slower pace.
And that leaves many here with a dilemma of holding a high volume of names for a extended period of time for a chance that some of them will be used in brand names.
A few are always worth a chance bet. I make them all the time.

•••
Apparently a transparent display is what is being forcast.

I know how impossible this sounds but there is going to be tech used in this phone that Apple have been holding back so the new batteries will be small enough to fit in the phones bezzel apparently.

https://virtualrealitypop.com/im-in...ark-zuckerberg-s-head-5babf01c5713#.jxoyf09hz

The tech for transparent displays is possible as well, Rob scoble bet his career on it to say he's been told by quite a few reliable insiders that the screen is 100% transparent.

For something the size that the iphone will be, he says this is 100% achievable. Obviously a TV requires a lot more power.

Although they're not calling it here, this is what I personally see as Smart Glass and is likely the future of TV and monitor displays.

•••
Although they're not calling it here, this is what I personally see as Smart Glass and is likely the future of TV and monitor displays.

Well I am never against someone going with their instinct.

I have done lots of gambles myself trying to guess what Apple could refer to their tech as.

I am pretty sure they are working on a mixed reality (tech) device, although I am quite confident they will call it something different.

It's quite interesting to see the Wikpedia of mixed reality though - Mixed reality (MR), sometimes referred to as hybrid reality, is the merging of real and virtual worlds to produce new environments and visualizations where physical and digital objects co-exist and interact in real time.

In Apples patents they have previously refered to 3D Hyper Reality Displays.

Hybrid/Hyper is my longshot but yes it's nothing more than a complete gamble.

Last edited:
•••
Well I am never against someone going with their instinct.

I have done lots of gambles myself trying to guess what Apple could refer to their tech as.

I am pretty sure they are working on a mixed reality (tech) device, although I am quite confident they will call it something different.

It's quite interesting to see the Wikpedia of mixed reality though - Mixed reality (MR), sometimes referred to as hybrid reality, is the merging of real and virtual worlds to produce new environments and visualizations where physical and digital objects co-exist and interact in real time.

In Apples patents they have previously refered to 3D Hyper Reality Displays.

Hybrid/Hyper is my longshot but yes it's nothing more than a complete gamble.

Yeah I'm always interested in how the meaning of words and terms can evolve over time.

Although smart glass has a different meaning right now, once smartglasses become popular, I see any transparent surface that becomes a display as potentially being called smart glass. Just my opinion, but we'll see how it goes.

As for trying to figure out what Apple will call their version of it, that's a whole other matter (n)

•••
I love these conversations, but sometimes I think they are a waste of energy.

It’s like every few weeks we go round in circles, all arguing our cases, trying to convince another side on our beliefs and none if it every penetrates through :joyful:

We are all incredibly stubborn and bias at the end of the day and will defend our investments until the day comes where it’s obvious nothing is going to happen with it, so let’s wait until then.

Good luck everyone (y)

•••
Ps:- don’t know if anyone’s noticed but AugmentedReality dot com is for sale for an asking price of around $200k, I actually tried to buy it before Xmas for it (offered around $25k) and broker told me the seller would reduce their asking price considerably and even asked me to pay installments, so whoever owns it seems to want rid.

I wouldn’t ever set a huge amount of debt, but yeah I think it could be buyable for $75k-$100k personally and MixedReality dot com was recently on the market for an asking price of $32k.

Very surprised a company like Anytime.com, who owns both VR.com and VirtualReality.com didn’t buy Mixed and don’t buy Augmented and potentially control all the market, maybe they could have got both for around $130k and $130k for both of those would have been a bargain imo.

Only thing left for them then would have been to buy MergedReality dot com and heard that’s for sale around $2 million :tightlyclosedeyes:

Last edited:
•••
I love to read all the future domain extention discussions from @NamePov to @VRdommy @KingslayerVR @Elad n @EmotiveDomains and many more guys .

The passion they feel for the extentions they believe so strongly in is quite remarkable . I too feel strongly in certain extentions but have become less vocal on them overtime as time will tell if i was right or wrong.

I hope one day once we have a better idea of what extentions have been adopted by apple etc we can catch up again and chat about how we got it so right or so wrong.

Last edited:
•••

It’s like every few weeks we go round in circles, all arguing our cases, trying to convince another side on our beliefs and none if it every penetrates through :joyful:

It's not just a waste of energy it's downright stupid. I don't know what I get personally out of championing Holo names to my rival domain investors here. Rationally, if I believe in Holo I should be shouting the merits of MR etc. and pushing the 'Microsoft will trademark everything' argument. However, this is still the most entertaining thread here, probably because it is all up for grabs, and also because it's VRDommy's thread and he's a lot more open and tolerant than certain others.

I said to Elad in a private message earlier - ar/mr/holo (the technology), will be much bigger than virtual reality, most of us here probably agree with that, but nobody can say for certain at this point which term will win out, or even discount the possibility that VR itself will eventually be the catchall when the headsets can do everything.

Last edited:
•••
It's not just a waste of energy it's downright stupid. I don't know what I get personally out of championing Holo names to my rival domain investors here. Rationally, if I believe in Holo I should be shouting the merits of MR etc. and pushing the 'Microsoft will trademark everything' argument. However, this is still the most entertaining thread here, probably because it is all up for grabs, and also because it's VRDommy's thread and he's a lot more open and tolerant than certain others.

I said to Elad in a private message earlier - ar/mr/holo (the technology), will be much bigger than virtual reality, most of us here probably agree with that, but nobody can say for certain at this point which term will win out, or even discount the possibility that VR itself will eventually be the catchall when the headsets can do everything.

Maybe it's been reverse psychology all along.

That and a heck of a lot of defensive regs :xf.wink:

•••
Maybe it's been reverse psychology all along.

That and a heck of a lot of defensive regs :xf.wink:

Luckily Those defensive regs paid for themselves already and more ;)

•••
or even discount the possibility that VR itself will eventually be the catchall when the headsets can do everything.

Yeah that's what i think will happen, It just makes sense from a marketing pov.

Last edited:
•••
There can not be a catchall term because the big difference between VR and AR/MR.

For now it's a "VR first" approach for headset manufacturers / brands. When there is more AR/MR content it can switch at some point to a "MR first" approach.

People will use MR all day long (work, social, skills, agenda etc) and VR has a limited use for videos and games.

Last edited:
•••
There can not be a catchall term because the big difference between VR and AR/MR.

For now it's a "VR first" approach for headset manufacturers / brands. When there is more AR/MR content it can switch at some point to a "MR first" approach.

People will use MR all day long (work, social, skills, agenda etc) and VR has a limited use for videos and games.

But we are talking about hybrid headsets, if these headsets are coined 'Virtual Reality' from the get go then that's what it will probably stay, why would everyone change what they call these headsets after so many years? It just wouldn't make any sense for many reasons.

Virtual Reality is also the perfect description for it too, Mixed/Merged/Augmented it's still 'Virtual' and when using these devices you are inside a 'Virtual Reality' so it just makes sense.

Last edited:
•••
But we are talking about hybrid headsets, if these headsets are coined 'Virtual Reality' from the get go then that's what it will probably stay, why would everyone change what they call these headsets after so many years? It just wouldn't make any sense for many reasons.

Virtual Reality is also the perfect description for it too, Mixed/Merged/Augmented it's still 'Virtual' and when using these devices you are inside a 'Virtual Reality' so it just makes sense.

Consumer will still have to do a targeted search. Fully immersive content or mixed reality / hologram. Companies can brand themself with the tech they offer: yachtmr, furnituremr etc.

The end users for our domains will not be Samsung or Apple.

Last edited:
•••
Ps:- don’t know if anyone’s noticed but AugmentedReality dot com is for sale for an asking price of around $200k, I actually tried to buy it before Xmas for it (offered around $25k) and broker told me the seller would reduce their asking price considerably and even asked me to pay installments, so whoever owns it seems to want rid.

I wouldn’t ever set a huge amount of debt, but yeah I think it could be buyable for $75k-$100k personally and MixedReality dot com was recently on the market for an asking price of $32k.

Very surprised a company like Anytime.com, who owns both VR.com and VirtualReality.com didn’t buy Mixed and don’t buy Augmented and potentially control all the market, maybe they could have got both for around $130k and $130k for both of those would have been a bargain imo.

Only thing left for them then would have been to buy MergedReality dot com and heard that’s for sale around $2 million :tightlyclosedeyes:
I might point out that AugmentedReality.org sold in 1012 (i think) @ about 12.5kusd and went into end use shortly thereafter. I would not hesitate to guess the value is 6 figure but... I believe it will be some time before it can achieve that in the market. Perhaps by 2020/2022.
But as far as end use to make it worth that... I don't see it (return on investment) yet.
I'm just speculating on investor speculation.

Interesting projection from that .org site... http://www.augmentedreality.org/smart-glasses-report

•••

The problem with this is that there are major differences between what Virtual Reality is and what Augmented Reality/Mixed Reality or Holograms is for that matter.

I am a personal believer that there won't be a catch all term, there is a need imo for consumers to search for the individual experience they are looking for.

Where there is a need for a consumer to search for a specific type of content there should also be a need for companies to brand themselves to show specifically what tech experience each given company offers.

In the future I think a very important factor in the sucess of these tec's will be for consumers to easily be able to search for the exact experience they are looking for. If everything is just Virtual Reality, that would not make it an easy task.

There is a massive difference in wanting a hologram to appear in your personal space and interact with the environment vs wanting to escape to a virtual world/environment.

You say it is all just part of Virtual Reality at the end of the day. In the same context, Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality is what makes Mixed Reality.

Some people believe in catch all terms such as XR, MR or Virtuality. I am not saying one will not develope, but personally I still say the most important element for consumers is to easily find the exact experience they are looking for is essential.

Last edited:
•••
Consumer will still have to do a targeted search. Fully immersive content or mixed reality / hologram. Companies can brand themself with the tech they offer: yachtmr, furnituremr etc.

The end users for our domains will not be Samsung or Apple.

I'm not so sure it will be so important if the headsets can do vr,mr,ar, and switching between them becomes almost as easy as adjusting the volume or the contrast.

One of the big differences between mixed and virtual reality currently is that VR is filmed through stereoscopic cameras and mixed reality through 3D scanning and/or lightfield cameras. At some point in the future, VR will be filmed/created in the same way as MR, and look the same too - the only difference being the level of immersiveness. Furthermore, perhaps most VR will actually incorporate 'merged reality'.

When this happens, with headsets that can do it all and switch between them seemlessly, why would companies limit themselves to just one, such as MR (and thus brand themselves as 'FurnitureMR')?

I mentioned a few times that several adult VR paysites have already branded themselves either as 'holo' or 'holo AND vr' (ex: HoloGirlsVR). I'd assume they are looking ahead to what the future will likely be in several years time.

•••
I'm not so sure it will be so important if the headsets can do vr,mr,ar, and switching between them becomes almost as easy as adjusting the volume or the contrast.

One of the big differences between mixed and virtual reality currently is that VR is filmed through stereoscopic cameras and mixed reality through 3D scanning and/or lightfield cameras. At some point in the future, VR will be filmed/created in the same way as MR, and look the same too - the only difference being the level of immersiveness. Furthermore, perhaps most VR will actually incorporate 'merged reality'.

When this happens, with headsets that can do it all and switch between them seemlessly, why would companies limit themselves to just one, such as MR (and thus brand themselves as 'FurnitureMR')?

I mentioned a few times that several adult VR paysites have already branded themselves either as 'holo' or 'holo AND vr' (ex: HoloGirlsVR). I'd assume they are looking ahead to what the future will likely be in several years time.

Or those companies are just trying to find reg fee domains that are available in a niche that they are interested in because all the quality stuff is long gone.

GirlsVR would be expensive.

HoloGirls would be expensive.

I know lets just register HoloGirlsVR.

My point being MilfVR sold for over $8000.

HoloMilfVR is available for reg fee.

Last edited:
•••

We are all incredibly stubborn and bias at the end of the day and will defend our investments until the day comes where it’s obvious nothing is going to happen with it, so let’s wait until then.

Good luck everyone (y)

I totally agree with this mate.

I think people see my post and think Namepov just keeps banging on about mixed reality.

Worth pointing out that I own more VR and Holo domains.

I have a lot less MR domains.

•••
Or those companies are just trying to find reg fee domains that are available in a niche that they are interested in because all the quality stuff is long gone.

So where would you stand on values for example milfvr.com sold for over $8,000 would vrmilf.com be worth same or more Or maybe less does having the vr at front of the domain name equal more money or less .

As i am the owner of armilf.com is this domain name worth more than milfar.com in your opinion mate.

I am interested to see what other np people think which one is worth more vrmilf.com or milfvr.com .

Last edited:
•••
So where would you stand on values for example milfvr.com sold for over $8,000 would vrmilf.com be worth same or more Or maybe less does having the vr at front of the domain name equal more money or less .

As i am the owner of armilf.com is this domain name worth more than milfar.com in your opinion mate.

I am interested to see what other np people think which one is worth more vrmilf.com or milfvr.com .

I think it all depends on each given end user mate. Both should be considered valuable though.

But I think the general consensus is that VRp#rn should be more valuable than p#rnVR.

For example I have the domain name FashionAR.com. But I would prefer to own ARfashion if I am being honest.

But maybe that is my personal preference.

I suppose it would have been interesting to know if the buyer of MilfVR actually attempted to buy VRmilf.

I own MilfsVR, not as good as MilfVR but it is a good reference to compare to that sale if someone contacts me.

Last edited:
•••

Yes possibly but that site has been making great play from the start thst it is/ will use 3d scanning to create it's content i.e. holograms.

Also, regarding vr in front or at end, nearly every adult site chooses at the end - ditto with 3d and 4k.

•••
Yes possibly but that site has been making great play from the start thst it is/ will use 3d scanning to create it's content i.e. holograms.

Also, regarding vr in front or at end, nearly every adult site chooses at the end - ditto with 3d and 4k.

Yeah, to be honest I wasn't saying the site would not be serious because they hand reg'd a lesser quality domain.

Lots of the big adult sites do get by on domains I would have never thought of purchasing.

I do like VR at the end of a keyword and do have a good mix between both.

I think if you have good enough keywords, it doesn't really matter if VR is at the front or end.

•••
One thing I've considered is that one term, be it VR, MR or whatever, may become a kind of catch all term. But rather than replacing all the other terms like holo, AR etc, these other terms become sub categories of the main term.

It's hard to think of some existing area of tech to compare this to because VR etc is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

There are many types of cars like sports, SUV, luxury, 4x4 etc, with all these names having their place and value, but they all come under the term car.

What I'm thinking is that all terms for VR etc could survive and be used in a similar way.

Again, just me thinking out loud.

•••

I think if you have good enough keywords, it doesn't really matter if VR is at the front or end.

I know this is one of those things I have said over and over, but, in US, UK, AU English, Brands will place the VR/AR/MR at the end. Spanish and some other languages, Brands will place it at the beginning.
It simply is proper language structure. Generics will be the reverse in each respective language.

I know some of you doubt what I say. So I will only say show me a BRAND that used it at the beginning.
There are a few. Most of those were just grabbing at the only available name with the keyword.
But will will not find any major Co with a marketing dept doing it wrong.

So if your target is BRANDS, buy it at the end.. If anyone is buying without a target... good luck with that.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back