Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Carmac and Zenimax settle !
http://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/10/14/john_carmack_zenimax_settle_their_225_million_beef/

From the beginning, I wanted to believe how Carmac stated it. But in the back of my mind, it clearly had the possibility that it was a carefully orchestrated move ... really.
It may not mean much or very well understood by many and is to much to describe here, but I was in the room (virtual) when Carmac and Lucky spit this out on MTBS3D.com and have followed it close since.
But one more chapter for the history books.
Even so, it is still true that most 'innovations' come from 'hacker-makers' and not some corporate lab. That is what got me to read MTBS3D in the first place looking for them. Those labs refine the same innovations, not generate them, more often than not. They buy or steal them.

•••
Jaunt drops VR for AR capture.
https://uploadvr.com/jaunt-shuts-down-vr-operations/

Can only be explained as slow revenue compared to projections.
I think we have seen this NOT industry wide, but with Cam/Video/Capture operations.
Nokia put a stop to production of it's pricey omnispheric camera over 6 months ago.

•••

Yeah was going to post this last night, “After these changes the company will be focussed exclusively on Augmented Reality and our XR Capture technology” isn’t VR under XR? :/

Another example of a company branding around ‘XR’ but don’t even understand what it means = baffling decision.

Something which I’m sure will be reversed some point in the future.

•••
Yeah was going to post this last night, “After these changes the company will be focussed exclusively on Augmented Reality and our XR Capture technology” isn’t VR under XR? :/

Another example of a company branding around ‘XR’ but don’t even understand what it means = baffling decision.

Jaunt does know what XR stands for:

Screenshot_20181016-125209_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think what they meant is they specifically are cutting back in a certain capacity on the VR only aspect for whatever reason.

Last edited:
•••
Explanation they gave why they are “winding down” down a number of VR products and content is because they want to “focus exclusively on Augmented Reality and our XR Capture technology” that’s contradictory as to be said.

What is “our XR capture technology”?

•••
Explanation they gave why they are “winding down” down a number of VR products and content is because they want to “focus exclusively on Augmented Reality and our XR Capture technology” that’s contradictory as to be said.

What is “our XR capture technology”?

I am not clever enough to know the exact answer.

But I am pretty sure XR suggests you offer services within the sector, not that you have to offer services for every separate technology.

You could create AR/MR holograms, but create nothing specifically for VR and still class yourself within the XR industry/service sector.

•••
@Kingslayer I think people can still find good XR names on the aftermarket from drops for mid xxx .
Maybe .

•••
To be clear on my understanding of the announcement...
They are dropping VR products/services (un-named)
They are putting their energy and resources in AR products/services (named XR Capture) but does not mean total abandonment of VR. Just many VR ventures are cutting loose.
Many did not know that many of those VR ventures existed since they were not complete ornot in headlines.
It's a answer to investors and a bit of a shell game of creating confidence in profit yields for the future.
But, it's clear to me they are feeling the slower than anticipated or hopeful growth of the industry.

But, those ventures in AR, I believe are more 'green screen effect inward 360' type of R&D operations and easy to see how they would want to punch trough and try to be a leader in some of that tech since there is plenty of competition coming in most of what they were working on in VR including from Google and FB. And that should say enough by itself.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Could this be the answer to what happened to MERGED REALITY ?
I guess we will not know till we see what chips are inside.
In any case, it is one stepping stone I have been waiting for.
https://uploadvr.com/samsung-is-working-on-a-vr-ar-hybrid-headset-already-tested-prototype/

Unless Intel has some performance buster chip, my bet is on Qualcomm for the chipset and that Intel has partnered for some other aspect/chip that is perhaps their 3D volumetric cam tech.
I am 80% confident the later is true, despite that article. Giving them a 1-up on oculus and profit margins..

•••
I don't think quest is that big of a d

Keep in mind that there is team Extended Reality and team X Reality. Most people who use the term Extended Reality refer to it as if it's a collection of all immersive tech to form one single technology.

* Extended Reality(XR) = all immersive technologies =one united technology

* X Reality(XR) = catch all phrase to refer to all immersive technologies

Extended Reality is more popular with CEOs and the press. X Reality was more popular with devs but I'm noticing that they're slowly giving to Extended Reality, possibly just for a variety of reasons related to its popularity. Devs are out numbered and can't win the terminology war along 😂

Last edited:
•••
I don't think quest is that big of a d

Keep in mind that there is team Extended Reality and team X Reality. Most people who use the term Extended Reality refer to it as if it's a collection of all immersive tech to form one single technology.

* Extended Reality(XR) = all immersive technologies =one united technology

* X Reality(XR) = catch all phrase to refer to all immersive technologies

Extended Reality is more popular with CEOs and the press. X Reality was more popular with devs but I'm noticing that they're slowly giving to Extended Reality, possibly just for a variety of reasons related to its popularity. Devs are out numbered and can't win the terminology war along 😂

They give in to Extended Because if they want to brand with it they must have an explanation to the public.

X reality is nice for developers but very not consumer friendly trying to explain x as a catch all term for vr ar mr etc.

Anyways, i hate the way extended sounds but love XR so all is good :)

•••
They give in to Extended Because if they want to brand with it they must have an explanation to the public.

X reality is nice for developers but very not consumer friendly trying to explain x as a catch all term for vr ar mr etc.

Anyways, i hate the way extended sounds but love XR so all is good :)

I no longer like or dislike extended reality X Reality. At the end of the day I care about saleability. XR stands for both so it's a win for both.

•••
Iribe leaves oculus
https://www.cnet.com/news/oculus-exit-is-latest-sign-mark-zuckerberg-cant-keep-top-facebook-execs/

Despite what that article suggests, these folks have plenty of new opportunity leading other co's now.
Problem is they normally have to wait 2 years before working a competitive industry in their contracts.
But I'll bet some have their own new start-up dreams with the same wait.
Iribe has a lot of FB stock worth at least 3x more than when the oculus buy-out occurred.

But all of this reminds me that we still do not have enough start-ups to drive name sales.
fingers crossed for excitement after xmas.
the season drives hardware sales and for software just after.
But, so far, I see nothing new that's compelling.Perhaps the new oculus stand-alone will change something.
Point something out if you do see something compelling.
But the lack of start-ups are probably from the growth downward from the big players and not upward from the small ones. Hope everyone understands the difference. It's not going to change majorly for names until this detail changes.

•••
This was shown off weeks ago but is probably part of the Jaunt decision. to leave 'VR productions'
FB360 & RED. Google has similar projects.
This was designed for AR/VR volumetric capture.

•••
•••
Very entertaining preview. Worth the long watch.

•••
2 more days iPhone XR gets released. From then on-wards we’ll start to find out the impact (if any) this will have on VR/AR’s use of the term XR when people have these devices in their hands. Will internet search results make (Google/social media) drown out VR/AR’s use of it? When people have iPhoneXR’s in their hands will it make talking about XR in a VR/AR sense at conferences and from a selling pov impractical?

I think by end-January (3 months) we’ll have a good idea.

•••
2 more days iPhone XR gets released. From then on-wards we’ll start to find out the impact (if any) this will have on VR/AR’s use of the term XR when people have these devices in their hands. Will internet search results make (Google/social media) drown out VR/AR’s use of it? When people have iPhoneXR’s in their hands will it make talking about XR in a VR/AR sense at conferences and from a selling pov impractical?

I think by end-January (3 months) we’ll have a good idea.
Respectfully,
Industry insiders & geeks are the only ones this could effect since the wider public is unaware.
And I don't see that happening.
To suggest otherwise would be to say that Virtual Reality could be confused with Validus Holdings.
And I know the Oculus in my house can not be confused with VR.

If anyone is just looking to find blame for the poor results of XR names to this point, just look at the overall industry. VR is the only thing that has shown significant results and that is not saying much, but enough. XR seems heavily weighed on AR glasses which are not out there in any numbers yet. And still not affordable in any meaningful way...YET.

•••
Respectfully,
Industry insiders & geeks are the only ones this could effect since the wider public is unaware.
And I don't see that happening.
To suggest otherwise would be to say that Virtual Reality could be confused with Validus Holdings.
And I know the Oculus in my house can not be confused with VR.

If anyone is just looking to find blame for the poor results of XR names to this point, just look at the overall industry. VR is the only thing that has shown significant results and that is not saying much, but enough. XR seems heavily weighed on AR glasses which are not out there in any numbers yet. And still not affordable in any meaningful way...YET.

Wouldn't that be VH? But yeah i get your point, I’ve commented on a similar point someone else made a few weeks ago, so don’t really want to go into it all again as I’ve already gave my own personal views on it.

No one knows for sure, even people who work in VR/AR have conflicting views on XR and the impact iPhone XR could have for VR/AR's use of the term, so let’s see what happens with it.

Last edited:
•••
Wouldn't that be VH? But yeah i get your point, I’ve commented on a similar point someone else made a few weeks ago, so don’t really want to go into it all again as I’ve already gave my own personal views on it.

No one knows for sure, even people who work in VR/AR have conflicting views on XR and the impact iPhone XR could have for VR/AR's use of the term, so let’s see what happens with it.
Just to explain...
The stock ticker is VR for Validus . apparently, you may not have done a 'google 'NEWS'' for vr in the past when it was weak and all that showed up was co investment info for validus. I've been using 'vr -validus' for years so I don't know if it still shows that way or not.....LOL... still use it

Anyway, Yea, not to rehash the whole thing...again....LOL.. But from my standpoint, what I stated is just what it was looking like from my POV. If anyone makes that kind of confused conclusion, it had nothing going for it to begin with. But I'm sure it does. But I see it as a excuse for some that may have over invested in the terms broadness. To me, it's just one more in a list of over-reactions.

Speaking of news... check this out ! Been waiting on it. It's here ! 8K & 5K VR
My guess is, if it becomes popular, HTC will have a answer to it in short order.
But one has to keep in mind that the media at those resolutions is in short supply.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/24...eadset-preorders-now-available-features-price
pimax.0.png

•••
Facebook and AR glasses ?
I don't doubt it, ... they would be foolish to not have a project working to that end.
but when ?
As the author points out, will anyone trust a FB device with a camera on their head ?
Still not looking for any rapid results. They just want to let investors know they are in the game right now.
I don't see real 'competition' for devices till 2020/21
https://en.brinkwire.com/news/facebook-confirms-its-building-augmented-reality-glasses/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back