IT.COM

advice High Traffic domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Isac

Top Member
Impact
Hello friends. First and foremost i would like to thank everyone because i have learned so much from you guys.

Now coming to a point, i am planning to buy some high traffic domain but i am little bit confused. How would i know weather traffic is real or fake ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do you plan on developing the name?
Where are you buying it from and how do you know it has high traffic?

•••
Do you plan on developing the name?
Where are you buying it from and how do you know it has high traffic?

Actually till now i was buying domain to flip it and make a profit. Now i am planning to develop some domains ( high traffic) . So " Yes" i am planning to develop.

I didn't have any domain name in my mind till now neither project, just thinking and planning in mind how to get started.

My favorite place to buy domain is here. So i most likely will buy domains from a " High traffic section " ( https://www.namepros.com/forums/traffic-domains.119/)

When i will buy domain from here or through any other marketplace. It's easy to know weather its high traffic or not through Alexa rank, similar web etc etc

But my main question is how can i know weather traffic is real or fake. What i meant to fake traffic is :

Traffic that is generated by bots or software, as opposed to human interaction. Normally purchased from third party providers, fake traffic is often used to artificially inflate the value of a website before it is put up for sale.

•••
Ok thats fine, I would just advise against new domainers buying names with traffic just so they can sell them, most end-users couldn't care less if the name has traffic or not when they find a name they want

•••
You need to be careful with buying names for traffic. I tried this for a week or so, and picked up getting on for 50 names - Mainly infos and xyz because the reg was only a dollar or so. I was just routing the traffic straight to a sponsor, and I got myself banned for doing it. I've now bought a VPS hosting plan for a year, and I'm looking at filtering the fraffic before I use it. Some of the traffic comes from board spammers, and has become toxic, hence the reason the name was dropped. You also need to check the country and language of the surfer - a lot of it seems to be chinese.

As the above poster has stated, don't buy these names for resale until you have cleaned them, and the traffic has died down.

•••
You need to be careful with buying names for traffic. I tried this for a week or so, and picked up getting on for 50 names - Mainly infos and xyz because the reg was only a dollar or so. I was just routing the traffic straight to a sponsor, and I got myself banned for doing it. I've now bought a VPS hosting plan for a year, and I'm looking at filtering the fraffic before I use it. Some of the traffic comes from board spammers, and has become toxic, hence the reason the name was dropped. You also need to check the country and language of the surfer - a lot of it seems to be chinese.

As the above poster has stated, don't buy these names for resale until you have cleaned them, and the traffic has died down.

How can we filter traffic ?

•••
At a simple level you can use htaccess.
Another approach is to have a landing page, and let the surfer choose to click on a link. This qualifies the treaffic, and makes it much more valuable, however you might losa a lot of it in the process. Chances are that you didn't want that anyway. You will also need to check the history to try to find out where the traffic is coming froim. Look at the server stats for more info as well.

•••

Actually till now i was buying domain to flip it and make a profit. Now i am planning to develop some domains ( high traffic) . So " Yes" i am planning to develop.

I didn't have any domain name in my mind till now neither project, just thinking and planning in mind how to get started.

My favorite place to buy domain is here. So i most likely will buy domains from a " High traffic section " ( https://www.namepros.com/forums/traffic-domains.119/)

When i will buy domain from here or through any other marketplace. It's easy to know weather its high traffic or not through Alexa rank, similar web etc etc

But my main question is how can i know weather traffic is real or fake. What i meant to fake traffic is :

Traffic that is generated by bots or software, as opposed to human interaction. Normally purchased from third party providers, fake traffic is often used to artificially inflate the value of a website before it is put up for sale.

Hi

the problem i see right away, is confusion and assumption about "domains with traffic" or "type-in traffic" names versus "traffic domains"
as there is a difference.

you don't buy traffic domains, just because of the numbers, you want to know where that traffic is coming from

you want "domains with traffic", because those type of domains most likely have "targeted traffic"...
unique visitors looking for a specific niche, product or service

whereas traffic domains, could just have random users or bots, who won't click on related ads
or it could be targeted traffic, but it's link traffic from existing websites or expired ones.

but link traffic is dependent on the webmaster maintaining your link and where that link is situated within that website.

also, don't rely on alexa or similar web, etc as a "verifier" for names you're thinking of purchasing from another person.
only actual ppc stats/screenshots should be considered or maybe you can get seller to point names to your server to test actualities.
look at "referrer stats" as this shows where the visitors are coming from

the more www.domainname.com referrers you see, the higher the probability it's a type-in traffic domain

there's still more to it, but those are some basics to consider

imo.....

How can we filter traffic ?

no filter needed for good traffic

imo...

Last edited:
•••
When I look at the site traffic , I look at bounce rate first. If it's high bounce rate most likely fake, redirected or paid traffic.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back