IT.COM

question High Offer for Cheap Domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mike Goodman

Established Member
Impact
Hi Folks,

I've just received this offer, passed on by GD, for a domain I would put at around the $2k mark, tops. I'd possibly even let it go for a lot less. Here's the offer, have any of you ever heard of Cafe24?:

"Hello! We offer $55,000 for your domain. Respond and I will send details. Elisa Tsoy, Cafe24 Host"
The domain is bedroom edit dot com, which I think you'll agree is OK for a sole trader such as interior designer, textiles designer, etc. or a very small business brand, but little more.

I'm tempted to respond asking if the currency is US$ or some other. HK$ used to be quite a large number to the £ when I served there many years ago! ;) If it is US$ I'll suggest escrow, which should shut them up altogether, or it's a lot of birthdays all at once.

But if you can come up with something more amusing I may well be tempted to use it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's a scam. Wait for the appraisal.

•••
So I noticed. Hence looking for suggestions of a wind up reply.

•••
Scam....I received the exact (word for word) message and overpriced offer on one of my domains.

•••
Scam....I received the exact (word for word) message and overpriced offer on one of my domains.

Great! Did you respond? What was the outcome? Come on guys, reading reams of doamin names can get dreary. Let's at least have a laugh at scammers' expense!

•••
Tell her you are a bit nervous doing business with foreigners. Ask her to send you a picture of herself, holding a sign that says " I'm Elisa Tsoy the scammer ". It worked in Nigeria some years ago.

•••
I didn't bother sending a reply... But I sure could have used the $55K!

•••
I looked a short while ago - it's HK$8.5 to the US$. Still $6.5k, a lot more than my domain is worth. I shall reply, just for the wind up. I'll give it a while longer to see if any more good ones turn up here.

The Cafe24 domain is registered in South Korea but it seems the company advertise as operating from the Philipines. Of course, that may not be their real identity.

•••
•••
If its $6500 usd accept it. Whats the worse could happen?

•••
If its $6500 usd accept it. Whats the worse could happen?

ROTFL. If - a very big if - it's a real US$6,500 I'll snatch their arm off. I think there's about as much chance of that as a snowball surviving in hell.

•••
Here was the response [Previous Post]

Brilliant! Thanks DomainVP. I got something similar, with the "investor" being some big shit in digital currency and could only act under similarly impossible circumstances which entailed ripping me off. Not sure they'll approve of my response but there we go. How else are we to spend our Friday evenings? :whistle:

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Scam. Ignore.
Very articulate. Thanks for reading the thread.

Condition: The buyer pays the fees.
ALL of them! But there won't be any. It was a scam. Similar reply to @DomainVP reported, just that this time it was supposed to be a rich crypto coin investor finding it impossible to follow simple purchasing protocols..

•••
It's a Scam! Block/Ignore! I received the exact same (word for word) message and overpriced offer on one of my domains last week.

•••
•••
Hi. Thanks for sharing. I just received the same exact email from the same source offering $55K for my domain name. I did reply requesting details and the response was exactly the same as noted above. Definitely seems scammy. Maybe I should counter with them paying all the fees (korean certificate, appraisal up front) using an escrow account or agency that I trust and see how they respond....

has anyone reported them to GD auction or domain who service?

•••
Scammers have upgraded their strategy. This time around they are using emails via Godaddy to make it look like a legitimate one. Played with them previously some time back and I said I will give them a better deal. Told them to buy my domain for just $100 and they can sell it back to their client for 50k. For sure, I said you would be happy to keep all those 50k for yourselves while I will be contented with a $100. Deal? Never heard from them again. But there was one scammer who replied and here was his epic response: "Sorry, I don't have enough cash now."

•••
Glad you got a bit of fun out of it. This one came back too quick with a repeat offer in an email with some nasties hidden in it. Still, at least threads which bring the subject up warn others.

If I were using a 'doze machine the nasties may well have got through. Get AV if you use 'doze, folks, and ensure your emails are screened from nasties!

Even better, do all your web stuff from a Tux machine. The AV and filters are built in to the OS. No need to pay third parties for extras.

Last edited:
•••
Scammers have upgraded their strategy. This time around they are using emails via Godaddy to make it look like a legitimate one. Played with them previously some time back and I said I will give them a better deal. Told them to buy my domain for just $100 and they can sell it back to their client for 50k. For sure, I said you would be happy to keep all those 50k for yourselves while I will be contented with a $100. Deal? Never heard from them again. But there was one scammer who replied and here was his epic response: "Sorry, I don't have enough cash now."

Thank you! going to block them

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back