IT.COM

Help me stop this domain stilling program!

NameSilo
Watch

MK.Leon

Impact
Dear website/domain owners and domain business experts

How do you feel if your domains, your ideas has been listed in public? not by a premium service, not by domain researchers, but by the organization that you trusted to share your idea with, the main extension registrar!

Here is what happened:
Several years ago a registrar which conclusively owns and controls that extension started to post expired domains for others so they register them.
In normal registrars when your domain expires, you have 1 month to claim it and another month after that with a penalty. When these 2 months over, for some time nobody knows about it but yourself, so you have a chance to reclaim what belongs to you. The idea.

But here something strange happens. When these 2 months over, they list your domain in public and not even in a standard timing but in random time in 3 days, it's like they don't want you to reclaim your domain but they want others to still it, for just a little more sales and off course push us to renew, but I have a simple question.

Since every domain is an idea, who does this idea belongs to? The owner who came with the idea (or researched for it) , or the company who we trusted them with our ideas ?

The idea belongs to the owner of domain not the company or anybody else. So why should they list people ideas that they gave them in confident?

I was sick for months and after doctor let me to use computer again I found out that I lost many domains in that time only because they have been listed. If they wouldn't list my domains for others they won't register them in years and I would be happy to register them again, so the company wouldn't lose earning and I wouldn't lose my precious ideas.

All my main project domains which creates many jobs have the same second word so tell me how can I replace them?

After some time a new job has been created. Some brain dead losers who couldn't come with any idea or even couldn't research or try to create ideas with a dictionary sitting all day and night refreshing this legal domain stilling program list page and choose from others ideas, then try to sell them to the owner for price of a building or airplane!

I spend time and money for this websites and now they are selling my own ideas to me with prices that doesn't make any sense! But I bought some of them anyway which was hard. How could I replace the word "HOPE" for a charity website (our only site without earning) ? So I bought my own idea with the price x 24 and I almost begged for it!

There are many many other developers & site owners that bleed like me from this program.

So, you guys know a lot more than me, tell me how can we do something about it? Can we stop it with help of ICAAN? Can we reclaim our old domains?

Thank you for your valuable time

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sorry to that you went through some rough times and lost some of your websites(ideas). I would say if that ever happens again. I would reach out to friends family, domainers have been known to help renew domains for sick or people that passed away, but if they are that valuable to you then you definitely need to a backup plan or reach out to someone.

You could try to list the names of them here and maybe some people would help.

Hope things get better for you

•••
Have you heard of Auto-Renewal? The domains will automatically renew, even if you're in hospital.

Btw, when you fail to renew the domain, it no longer belongs to you. So there's no stealing involved (or "stilling" as you like to say).

•••
The time of the year when everyone is on vacation some sit and brain storm they come up with their domain idea but is also the same time of year they holiday again and forget to renew leaving it for another domainer watching the expired list. They get back to work and over look the obvious. Medical reasons don't come into consideration in this industry. A loss is a loss i have lost great names forever too. You can play again or game over insert credits.

Last edited:
•••
You're trying to say that domain should be yours without renewing it because it was your idea? And the whole world should protect you and keep silent about your expiring domains? I understand you're angry but that's how domain registering works since beginning.

•••
I was worked somewhere and there is sign which say "Ideas are no ones monopoly". You let your ideas dropped someone will catch it & try to develop it. Nothing to complain here. Better is renew every name & trust on your ideas.

•••
how can we do something about it? Can we stop it with help of ICAAN? Can we reclaim our old domains?
Hopefully you can't.

•••
I was sick for months and after doctor let me to use computer again

Right now I am on my laptop and have two pillows propped under my leg, and a heating pad on my back. Since May I have spent 85% of the days in the worst pain with multiple disc herniations that are a life-long curse for me now.

Doctors compare this pain to giving birth, so I've been giving birth since May.

Sh*t happens. :xf.cool:

I still manage to maintain a portfolio of 300 domains AND have a backup plan for my family that my 7 year old could even follow in case I die for some unforeseen reason.

I've been told not to sit long, I can lay & recline so I totally get that you can't sit at a computer, but it is no excuse to let your domains lapse.

You've come to the wrong forum for any sympathy for your situation.

Good luck.

•••
If you rent an apartment and fail to pay the monthly lease...

The domains never really belong to you, they're just leased.

•••
when they drop
they appear in public drop lists

all my dropped domains
are caught by someone
(mostly dropcatch)

so you have quite a few misconceptions

•••
You let your domains expire, then allowed them to go through redemption and then into what sounds like pending delete. Sorry, but your loss is entirely your fault.

Since you talk about the final few days of pending delete, it sounds like you wanted to somehow grab them as they came out of redemption. So you were watching them drop. You got an ugly lesson in how it really works.

Last edited:
•••
It has certainly become a rigged system with registrars competing with their own customers and keeping clients domains for themselves instead of allowing them to go back onto the open market. Even when domains are allowed to re-enter the open market through the drop process, large corporations scoop them up in a fraction of a second before a human could have a chance to hand register them.

It's best to renew your valuable domains for 10 years and make sure people in your family and business know what to do with them if you die.

•••
Back