NameSilo

Help for another newcomer please

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello

I'm asking for any help at all with creating Templates from scratch. I know some basic HTML and find that cumbersome enough. I had a look at some sites with pointers to Designing Templates, but they seemed so advanced for me. Am I running too far ahead of myself? Does there exist a 'for Dummies' tutorial on the whole subject of Templates. Thank you for any help or pointers. :-/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
welcome. this isn't really the section for this, but i'll give you some tips anyways.

1) any trouble you have with html is more due to fear than it being hard. it's really a simple language. think of it as typing but instead of using the trusty tab button for each paragraph, you use <p> All you really need to know is how to post images and text and maybe a few other things, the rest can mostly be done with CSS and scripting.

2) learn in steps. don't overstep yourself. first start out with a tutorial on html, master it, then move on to css, master that, and maybe then move onto scripting, xml, and all that fun stuff.

3)there's some great tutorials at www.w3schools.com. i've learned alot of what i know there. they take it easy and have examples you can personally edit to see how the code works..

4) when it comes down to it, the best supplement to tutorials and messing around yourself is to look at the source code of web pages, edit the source code and see what happens. remember that 90% of web pages use invalid and outdated code, though, so don't try to emulate the pages, merely learn from them.

5) learn visual basic and they will come. most scripting languages are similar. if you know one, you can learn the rest relatively easy.

6) be patient. that's the key to mastering the web.

now, i, your digital swami, must rest. good luck in future endeavors. if you need any help with something in specific, post at the related sections of the forum. deadserious and darkdevil know most everything, so i don't even bother giving tips anymore heh

•••
Well, its kind of hard to make templates if you don't know html... so like pistol said, you have to learn this stuff. It really isn't that hard at all. I learned html by making webpages in FrontPage, looking at the code and changing the code, then fixing the code because frontpage sucks. And thats all you need to know, but ofcorse, theres one big problem with that. You start picking up code that you shouldn't use. Like <body background="image.jpg"> sucks. You should use i believe... css for that... i dunno.. theres a way to do it...

I would think its easiest to make templates in php. Controling the content with variables, and even running the site with an admin panel... this way you can sell whole sites in one zip.

a great place to look for tutorials on html and php is www.webmonkey.com and specially for php real the php manual at php.net

•••
Thank you Dark Devil and Pistol for your helpful hints and advice and especially for the links you supplied. I will take it in steps and stages from here on. Appreciated. :)

•••
Hello Veritas :)

Welcome to Web Design Talk! I think pistol and darkdevil summed it up pretty good .......... HTML is a must know for ... well I would say anyone that wants to make thier own webpage or templates or scripts or anything else that has to do with a web page. :)

•••
Originally posted by pistol
deadserious and darkdevil know most everything, so i don't even bother giving tips anymore heh

LOL, You are the CSS guru! :D I 'm lost when it comes to css beyond the basics.

Keep them tips coming!. :D

:beer:

•••
i cheat when it comes to CSS, i shared my secret to knowing all once before... i will never repeat those words again. ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back