Domain Empire

advice Help: Are non-generic one dictionary word domain worth buying?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Chandra sekhar

Established Member
Impact
I've found a couple of dictionary words available in .net and .in version. They're 10 and 11 letter english dictionary words. They're Verbs and i'm not sure if any business can have that name as it's web address. Should I buy them? Do they have reseller value?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It completely depends on the words in question .. and also totally depends on the cost.

Unless you give both of those pieces of information there is absolutely no way of saying one way or the other.

That being said .. if you're talking about buying at hand-registration prices ($10-20), then that would mean the words are actually currently available ... which means there's a 90% chance they are worthless domains, and 9% chance they are bad domains, a 0.9% chance they are not good domains, and a 0.1% chance they might be worth more than what you paid to register it (and even then the likelihood is that you wouldn't be able to sell it for an amount that is worth the risk of buying it and not being able to sell it).

•••
Verbs seem to be in decline as people use nouns like "showcase" as verbs, :)

•••
Check if you see sales for the .com versions of the words you are thinking about registering in .net..

if you find any recorded sales.... work out what 1% of the value of the sale was... which is what you can expect to get for a .net version of a .com ... assuming you find like 1 sale, chances are 1% will be less than registration fee. :)

•••
Verbs seem to be in decline as people use nouns like "showcase" as verbs, :)

Only thing about that is that is that the biggest reason verbs .com's are on the decline isn't because people don't want them as much ... it's because the best ones have slowly been sold off to end users and they are in ever shortening supply .. which has pushed good verb .com pricing up into stratosphere levels.

That's why I think what @deez007 said has more validity to it then people would think. While .net has been trending down relative to .com's .. I'd say the short good verb .nets have had that "relative" growth in tandem with verb .com's.

It used to be .net was "supposed to be" 5 to 10% of .com .. but while some might sell at those prices, the market has also softened, so the volume has gone down even at that 5% relative price .. putting pressure on .net holding costs. which means that since you obviously can't do anything about the selling price .. you better be sure to grab them cheap!

That being said .. I don't think all is lost for .net .. just like any non-.comTLD, you just have to be really choosy with what you buy and make sure you get it for a good price. The way I see .net is essentially as a good nTLD for tech related domains.

I certainly would buy Showcase.net as a potentially cool name for a tech startup .. IF the price was right! ;)

•••
I need to dump my net names. I might keep a couple as vanity name FU?.net (the lowest even number) for example. I think they have been killed by constantly increasing renewal fees.

•••
Try to relate the word to a business that will be using it. As others mentioned, you need to go low on .NETs as compared to .COM, not sure about .IN .....

•••
That's why I think what @deez007 said has more validity to it then people would think. While .net has been trending down relative to .com's .. I'd say the short good verb .nets have *NOT* had that "relative" growth in tandem with verb .com's.

Ooops .. too late to edit now, but I obviously left out the "not" in the above statement, as verb .nets have slipped well below 5% of .com .. simply because the verb .com's have gone up so much.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back