Dynadot

Have you used Epik AND Uniregistry ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
For those that have used both Epik AND Uniregistry...

What thoughts and comparisons can you share?

Which do you prefer overall, and why?

Thanks for sharing! :xf.smile:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
May as well chime in here. Rather than give you a sales pitch (Go Epik!), it's better if I listen to feedback. Always curious what other people think.

Let me declare my biases up front:

#1. Epik hired me as Director of Operations 2 1/2 weeks ago. Naturally, I see good things – extant and soon to launch. That's why I took the job. And, to be fair, I see some room for improvement here and there. That potential is ALSO why I took the job.

#2. It's well known that my personal customer experience at Uniregistry was downright terrible. Because I was pretty outspoken about it at the time. Back in 2015, while Uniregistry staff were wooing me with the left hand to move my portfolio over, the same company was sabotaging my business with the right hand.

Specifically, Jeff Gabriel (VP of Sales ) butted into 1 of my negotiations unasked and ordered me to act as his employee solely because the buyer mistook me for one. As he put it, every domainer must act as a "Uniregistry representative". When I suggested that a market place ought to be neutral and questioned whether it was appropriate for him to meddle and side with a buyer against a seller, rather than reply to me at all, he simply banned me from DomainNameSales on the spot.

By the way, the buyer's top offer was $21 for ArtHistory.org, a domain for which I had paid roughly $1k. It wasn't for sale at all; but I patiently explained about the domain market, responding when most other domainers would have ignored her. After 3 rude emails, I finally replied, with a "Listen, Lady". She complained, and apparently the VP had no real work to do; so he kept himself busy reprimanding a customer with thousands of domains at his company and dictating how I'd be allowed to phrase my replies. Which would have been fine ... if he had listened to my viewpoint. Instead he kicked me out for questioning his.

That's my own experience. Other people will have other experiences. I've never told anybody not to try Uniregistry. And I've invested in thousands of Uniregsitry nTLD domains myself; so I was quite disappointed by their sudden price hikes.

Unsurprisingly, after seeing that deplorable management culture, I've kept my portfolio as far away from Uniregistry as possible. Although I've heard good things about the UX, I simply don't trust them to value their customers' interests. So I've never used Uniregistry as a registrar, though I did end up with an account there after they gobbled up Minds + Machines (which forced some domain transfers).

#3. Over the years, I've had very good experiences with GoDaddy. Having a good account rep there compensates for some clunky features. And there are many other registrars I like, including Dynadot and 101Domain. Now I'm beginning the process of moving domains to Epik. My job doesn't require me to do that. But I'd simply never given them a try before. Once I took a look, I liked the domain management interface, the pricing, and the aftermarket features. (Ask me what I mean!) Epik isn't the only good registrar out there, but I honestly prefer it in many ways.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back