IT.COM

poll Has paying for a Sedo showcase ever resulted in a sale for you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Has paying for a sedo showcase listing ever resulted in a sale for you?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • I've paid for a category listing but never sold anything from it

votes
    37.5%
  • I've paid for a category listing and sold a buy-it-now domain

votes
    0.0%
  • I've paid for a category listing and sold a domain via make offer

votes
    0.0%
  • I've paid for a showcase listing but never sold anything from it

votes
    62.5%
  • I've paid for a showcase listing and sold a buy-it-now domain

votes
    0.0%
  • I've paid for a showcase listing and sold a domain via make offer

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

The New Guy

Top Member
Impact
Question for those who have paid for either a home page showcase or a category showcase listing - has it worked out and resulted in a sale? And if it was a sale, did it happen with a buy it now listing or a make offer listing?

Six options - multiple responses allowed.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
None of the six options are really appropriate to my experience in paying for category listings at Sedo. I paid for a couple when I first started domaining. In retrospect the domains I tried to sell weren't going to go for very much (though I was sure they were going to make me rich). One was DronesFromHell.com, which I later sold for $9.99 on Ebay. I can't remember what the other ones were, but they were going to be single-digit sales if they sold at all.

My largest sale ever resulted from a regular listing at Sedo, but it's one that I think some companies had been watching for a long time (I'd had the domain for over 10 years).

On Flippa paying for promotions never resulted in a sale for me. The ones I sold were all regular $9 auctions.

The problem in listing free at either Flippa or Sedo is that your domain will be buried in a pile of crappy domain names. No offense, but if you're new to domaining, yours might be right at home among them :)

Just this morning I decided to pay $9 for a category listing at Sedo for AceVacation.com. I've done my research on this one and know it to be a fairly valuable name, where there are a lot of travel-related business with the word "ace" in their names. Still, in order for it to go for the kind of price I'd like to get for it, someone who can actually benefit from it is going to have to see it. I think it's highly unlikely that anyone who works for a travel company is going to find it while perusing sedo, because I don't think those types peruse Sedo.

I know there some "middleman" types in the domaining business. I'm curious if I can sell it to one of them, assuming it is a valuable name, at a sort of "wholesale" price. Because I'd much rather spend my time finding domain names than going through the rigmarole of selling them. So my hopes are that by making it visible at Sedo with a category listing upgrade that a middleman will see it and be willing to pay me a price that he/she can profit from.

Anyways, that's where I'm at with my understanding of domaining thus far. I'm sure a few months from now I'd tell you something completely different.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back