Dynadot

.tv Has anyone tried this re pre March 18th premiums?

NameSilo
Watch

Len

dot TV'erVIP Member
Impact
Just thought I'd try this out and the result was very interesting.

I have a pre March 18th premium LLL.tv domain that currently has a low $50/yr renewal, when I check the domain for availability in the Name.com multiple domain checker it comes back as taken with a price of $232.

My point here is, if I were to let the domain drop could this possibly be the price that a new registrant would pay with the benefit of normal renewal fee's?

In this case, I can happily pay the renewal for at least 5 more years knowing that I would still be in the black, however, I know that this is one of those rare cases where the initial premium price was very low and not the norm.

Other premium holders should check this out.

Will be interesting to see the results of the repricing (if name.com has it right).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Paul,
This does not seem like an accurate statement. I spoke to Deborah at Enom the other day and she said if a name that has a premium renewal drops, then you would pay a one time fee and it would be standard renewal.

Keep me apprised.

Best,
A

Equity, I believe you are mis-understanding. I am saying that if you dropped Tea.tv and re-registered it, that as of today, you would still pay a PREMIUM RENEWAL, not a standard renewal for legacy premium domains, no matter what the new registration price was. It appears that only domains dropped during the goldrush and landrush have non-premium renewals.

•••
You are correct Makis, because you can never get a straight answer about anything. There always feels like there is a shell game being played.

Two classes of premiums is stupid,confusing and bad business sense. Now like Joel said give them a little time, now if we go a few weeks after the Sedo auction and nothing then its pretty clear they are going to keep two classes of premium .tv owners.

So I think we wait a little and then readdress the situation.

•••
So I think we wait a little and then readdress the situation.

how can we address the situation beyond an appeal to good sense? i'm certain a lot of legacy premium holders will drop and hope to recatch rather than continue to pay a high yearly fee. perhaps a goodly number of those will be appeal enough?

•••
Two classes of premiums is stupid,confusing and bad business sense.

That pretty much sums it up folks! Prices for my auto(s) and shoe(s) are almost changing daily ...

:lol:

let's see.. today's verisign buyout/renewal/coinflippingnonsense prices (via name.com) are:

shoe . tv Taken $1158.84
shoes . tv Taken $3480
auto . tv Taken $1158.84
autos . tv Taken $1158.84

when just the other day, they were all $19.99 'cept shoes.tv!

who knows what they'll be tomorrow... stay tuned! :/

RL

Last edited:
•••
Ammudamus, you are correct. I double checked with VeriSign and this was the response we received:

Premium .tv domain names will have the same business rules and grace periods as fixed price .tv domain names, with the following exceptions:
• New Premium .tv domain names have a higher initial registration fee and renewal at a standard fixed price rate
• At this time transfers are not supported at the Registry level for premium .tv domain names.
• The sync operation is not supported for premium .tv domain names.

Sorry for the confusion. We are trying to pass along information as we receive it.

•••
OK so then Paul, right now Orlando an old pre March 18 premium is $4000 a year. If the owner drops someone else will pay $580 and standard renewal. So Verisign in a purely "HYPOTHETICAL" example is saying thank you Antonis for supporting the extension and paying a premium fee, there is nothing we will do for you to lower the fee but if Ammudamus picks it up on the drop we will give him the low, low price of $580 and standard renewal. Message to Antonis give us $4000 a year or kindly GFY.

•••
First of all, I want to thank Paul from Name.com for taking the time to give us some insight. It speaks volumes when a registrar representative comes onto the board to help us figure something out... especially on a Saturday.

As Paul made clear on the phone and here on the board: "as of today"... this is how Verisign has set things up. When it comes to legacy premium .TVs, I'm carrying mid-5 figure renewals and this is of utmost concern to me, but I'm not going to worry about it at this point in time. I believe Verisign can see the logic of simply charging the current legacy premium domain holder a one-time kill fee to convert to standard renewal. If not, we all can collectively make that suggestion and present it as a non-combative proposal. ;) There is a win/win solution.

I doubt that VRSN went to all this trouble to relaunch the TLD only to leave it in a more choatic state than it was in before.

Thanks again Paul.

•••

Last edited:
•••
Fin they will be picked back up, Ammudamus corrected Paul that Deb at Enom said if dropped they are one time and standard renewal. So if Orlando.tv at $4000 is dropped and is priced for $580 it will get picked up.

•••
Fin they will be picked back up, Ammudamus corrected Paul that Deb at Enom said if dropped they are one time and standard renewal. So if Orlando.tv at $4000 is dropped and is priced for $580 it will get picked up.

Right - so this is obviously not a sustainable situation since both sides have a lot to lose if I drop Orlando.

(1) I have the risk that I don't get it back (though there would certainly be games played with drop-catching in this scenario...). And even if I don't, I am certainly sure I could buy it back in the secondary market for far less than 4,000 x infinity. Or if not, there are better values out there now.

AND

(2) VSGN is going to make a lot less money if I drop it.

So hopefully VSGN comes to their senses and keeps us from all having to play a variety of non-productive games around #1 AND gets the benefit of being able to say "all premiums renewals are gone" instead of the somewhat insane situation of having four different classes of .tv domains.

(1) Reg Fee
(2) Post Mar 18th premiums
(3) Pre Mar 18th premiums
(4) Reserved premiums (see: most unregistered CC.tvs)

And no easy way to tell the difference...

As if it is normal to expect the world at large to keep track of this...when there are nearly 300 gTLDs and ccTLDs that operate on either a reg fee or upfront premium + reg fee model.

.tv is cool; it is not that cool that it can demand that the whole distribution channel and ecosystem for domains to operate one way for 300 TLDs and a different way for .tv

•••
Right - so this is obviously not a sustainable situation since both sides have a lot to lose if I drop Orlando.

(1) I have the risk that I don't get it back (though there would certainly be games played with drop-catching in this scenario...). And even if I don't, I am certainly sure I could buy it back in the secondary market for far less than 4,000 x infinity. Or if not, there are better values out there now.

AND

So hopefully VSGN comes to their senses and keeps us from all having to play a variety of non-productive games around #1 AND gets the benefit of being able to say "all premiums renewals are gone" instead of the somewhat insane situation of having four different classes of .tv domains.

(1) Reg Fee
(2) Post Mar 18th premiums
(3) Pre Mar 18th premiums
(4) Reserved premiums (see: most unregistered CC.tvs)

And no easy way to tell the difference...

As if it is normal to expect the world at large to keep track of this...when there are nearly 300 gTLDs and ccTLDs that operate on either a reg fee or upfront premium + reg fee model.

.tv is cool; it is not that cool that it can demand that the whole distribution channel and ecosystem for domains to operate one way for 300 TLDs and a different way for .tv

You are 100% correct here.

•••
Surely it would be in everyone's interest to give the current owner the opportunity to pay the $580 when renewal time comes around and then revert to normal reg fee. Otherwise something like this leaves a bad taste in the mouth and does nothing to enhance Verisign's credibility or ethics.
Again, assuming the prices given by name are correct.

I don't really see how it is in Verisign's interest.

Some poor sap is paying $4000/yr and may continue to do so. If they don't then "high ho silver, seller that sucker off cheap".

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

i predict that if they dont do something, and in a big hurry, the auction will be a fizzle. shortly after that you'll see a palpable move for the exits.

if all this happens i'll go one step further and predict that not only will a lot of legacy prems will be dropped a lot of them wont even be picked back up.

This is dreaming in my view. The new model works. In my view people need to accept those premiums of the past made no sense and move on to more fertile ground rather than hoping for a Verisign bailout. People will drop all their old premiums if Verisign makes no changes......that is a good thing for those registrants. I can't see many moving out of .tv, look at all the names people have been registering recently, by people who previously bought premiums under the old structure.

If Verisign does nothing about those names I think it has no real effect on the market and those names will be picked up with sensible pricing. A tonne of money has already been lost on paying premium renewals in the past, it isn't Verisign's fault.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

AND

Verisign has very little at stake in that situation. If you keep renewing it is great for them. If they offer you the "new price" it is no different to offering it to anybody else, ie after it drops.

1. Why would they offer a deal when you might renew?
2. If you are going to drop, still why would they offer a deal?

The key point from their end is likely to be "Will this registrant risk letting it drop?".

A smaller number of domainers won't take that risk, and large number of enduser won't take that risk (or even know about the new pricing) which is why I'm not surprised Verisign hasn't done anything so far.

•••
Looks like Name.com took the pricing down, well they made it $$1160000 for Orlando and any other name searched. thedomains.com did a post about it. I made sure you got the proper credit Len for being the first to point all this information out.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back