IT.COM

opinion gTLD sale WTF

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mad409

Always thinking outside the box!Top Member
Impact
I listen to the back and forth about new gTLDs but I've always been a believer in the long haul and not short term.

When I see a sale like this I honestly think there has to be a future and demand. BIG :$:

Basic-Fit.fitness €7,949 = $8,903 Sedo

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Oh, ok list my UDRP complaints. You are a flamer JB, nothing more.

Read that thread again, some of what you registered is listed. I was actually trying to help you as well as others. Maybe we were all wrong, right.

•••
Read that thread again, some of what you registered is listed. I was actually trying to help you as well as others. Maybe we were all wrong, right.

Sure you were wrong, you go read the thread again and who has control still? Me! Attorney's get it done JB therefore please stop degrading me as I'm public but you're hiding behind your mouse.

•••
Even the Avi.video auction at $16k and reserve not met at Flippa doesn't make sense.

There have been so many wtf sales so we will just have to wait and see.

•••
Even the Avi.video auction at $16k and reserve not met at Flippa doesn't make sense.

There have been so many wtf sales so we will just have to wait and see.

well.. imo avi.video makes a whole lot more sense to me than basic-fit nonsense domain name

cheers

•••
Keyword makes sense but that price for a recently registered domain is too much.

•••
There's no way that sale is from an actual human investor that decided to buy that name. It's most likely some sort of automated bot that picked it up for one reason or another.

•••
Sure you were wrong, you go read the thread again and who has control still? Me! Attorney's get it done JB therefore please stop degrading me as I'm public but you're hiding behind your mouse.

-actually nevermind-

Couldn't find the avi.video auction, I guess it's over? But reserve wasn't met somebody posted, so it's not a sale, just somebody pricing it too high.

Last edited:
•••
@JB, I get you're saying it's a basic-fit.nl purchase but I wonder where healthcity.nl comes into play? Same company or did healthcity make the purchase?

Healthcity.nl looks like another fitness company, not sure. It says healthcity in Whois.

•••
Not sure about that one but same registrar/nameservers as basic-fit after a quick look. With basic-fit.nl, have no idea their plans with it. Did they get it just to have their name, are they going to forward it to existing site, or they going to build something new on it. Later down the road will take a look and see. All I know is basic-fit.nl are the people that bought it.

•••
•••
So it's just a company buying their own name.

I predict that will slow down. I use to do defensive registrations of domains I use, but with the plethora of new gTLDs and ccTLDs that act as gTLDs - there just is no point in defensive registration any more, I'm letting all the ones I did expire. It just costs too much to defensive register these days.

•••
I now understand, healthcity was confusing me but it appears the two companies are one.

HealthCity/Basic-Fit, the largest fitness chain in Europe, is once again in the hands of its founders, who have bought back the 50% interest of investment company Waterland.

•••
OH,

Auction suspended again with a "XX,XXX bid" at Flippa.

Another case of shill bidding? Or am I just being suspicious and cynical?

•••
•••
•••
Reminds me of this one - https://flippa.com/4347057-amazing-super-premium-domain-newyork-cab

There is not much of a secondary market right now for new gTLD and it seems like a lot of owners are playing games on Flippa trying to fish for a sucker.

Brad

I think you are right Brad, and here is the thing, even scammers need liquidity, these tricks don't work in an empty town. You can run a successful game of three card monty with a bunch of tourists thrilled to be in the big city (.com) for the first time. You can't run a successful three card monty game when the only people in town are also confidence men or women.

•••
newyork.cab
and
avi.video

It is truly sad for me to see this fraud going on with nGTLDs by dishonest sellers. I want to believe in these new strings. But it is hard because these kind of fraudulent auctions will cause problems for the rest of us who are honest investors and sellers. :-/ I mean, they're going to screw everything up for the rest of us.

This is why I try to fight so strongly against some new registries using spam tactics and spammers use the nGTLDs just for their own selfish benefit with spam and selling of counterfeit goods. The way I see it, some of these nGTLDs can open up a new ".com"-like boom for all of us, IF ONLY these stupid fraudsters and spammers don't create an environment of mistrust from the start, e.g: newyork.cab and .TOP... I'm looking at you.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe they learned the trick from the .io sellers.
And from Negari too :P

It is truly sad for me to see this fraud going on with nGTLDs by dishonest sellers. I want to believe in these new strings. But it is hard because these kind of fraudulent auctions will cause problems for the rest of us who are honest investors and sellers.
Let's be honest. I am not a believer in new string, but shill bidding and other frauds like traffic inflation have always been a problem in domain auctions. It's not new.

But I can certainly understand that some domain holders are desperate now that they realize they bought junk, that is expensive to keep and they don't want to be left holding the bag.

•••
I listen to the back and forth about new gTLDs but I've always been a believer in the long haul and not short term.

When I see a sale like this I honestly think there has to be a future and demand. BIG :$:

Basic-Fit.fitness €7,949 = $8,903 Sedo
Either a ridiculous sale or a sucker looking to 'invest'.

•••
•••
I bet the one who owns basicfit.fitness must be the one who is really asking himself WTF. :D So close.. but no cigar.

•••
Well I have pretty clean looking domains compared to that mess.
It is a good practice though as a business to grab the typos for your business web address. The new domains coming out are because there are billions more computers. Kids are learning programming or graphics. And as we know dot coms are all gone. There are some factoids I would like to mention but am going to be working on a site that goes into some detail and will cover that there.
Anyway to change my user name here?? I brushed my teeth and gargled now!

•••
I said not a debate, if I'm wrong correct me. I see now that's their hosting provider but I've never seen anyone forward their domain to the hosting provider. It's very misleading after a sale IMO. Looks like they bought the domain.

I don't appreciate your rudeness of saying I have a dysfunction but I guess anything goes around here. I'm sure you have ran off many of good members with your insults with no recourse.

BTW - I do understand simple stuff as I'm sure many do here but not everything like you think you do. :xf.rolleyes:

I had a company purchase a domain name that I registered 10 years earlier than they created a trademark for a product they developed. They did nothing with that domain name for 5 months after the purchase. Just a placeholder page from Go Daddy.

Its really very simple. They're not "forwarding" the domain name. The default DNS for that domain name is a parked page OF the hosting company - which acts more like an advertisement for the hosting company.

•••
Did we settle on something yet? :P

•••
Did we settle on something yet? :P

A fitness chain bought it for the equivalent of 0.001% of their annual turnover...

No one knew about them in the US before this buy, now 5000 people do. In 2019 the will open a venue at Venice Beach. :D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back