Dynadot

discuss GTLD Renewal Prices

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

larryscott2559

Restricted (Market)
Impact
Is it me or does any else think these registrar renewal prices are a bit absurd? I remember when I thought the $60 - $70 renewal prices were not a good idea but now Im seeing renewals for $1,500 , $2,500 per year. It just seems like a bad joke to me especially because there has yet been any proof from a consumer viewpoint that shows the value of GTLDs.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, it is a joke. I predicted it before the new gTLD program even launched.

Essentially registries are trying to charge higher prices for something with less demand.
It is like reverse supply and demand.

Brad

•••
Please note that some registries do not look for profitability.

•••
Is it me or does any else think these registrar renewal prices are a bit absurd? I remember when I thought the $60 - $70 renewal prices were not a good idea but now Im seeing renewals for $1,500 , $2,500 per year. It just seems like a bad joke to me especially because there has yet been any proof from a consumer viewpoint that shows the value of GTLDs.
This is very gross generalisation - when you say new gTLDs, you are putting together more then thousand of various extensions, operated by dozens of companies worldwide, all of the with different prices, renewals, etc.

Some of those extensions costs only $1 - $2, and renews as such, so they are much cheaper then legacy extensions.

Many new gTLD extensions are in 10-30 range when we speak about standard renewals.

In some extensions, some special keywords (considered as more valuable by registries) are marked with premium prices. This is where you can see those, lets say, 1500/year renewals.

But to generalise that all new gTLDs are for high prices is total nonsese, it is simply not true.

•••
Anything up to $30 is ok to me.

•••
This is very gross generalisation - when you say new gTLDs, you are putting together more then thousand of various extensions, operated by dozens of companies worldwide, all of the with different prices, renewals, etc.

Some of those extensions costs only $1 - $2, and renews as such, so they are much cheaper then legacy extensions.

Many new gTLD extensions are in 10-30 range when we speak about standard renewals.

In some extensions, some special keywords (considered as more valuable by registries) are marked with premium prices. This is where you can see those, lets say, 1500/year renewals.

But to generalise that all new gTLDs are for high prices is total nonsese, it is simply not true.

What the hell are you talking about generalization? Of course some domains have low renewals prices, Im talking to domainers, I assume you all are not idiots so I don't have to explain normal renewal prices. I don't need you to explain how premium domains work to me. It has only been recent where registrars are charging $1,000 renewal prices. Understand whats written before responding.

•••
Please note that some registries do not look for profitability.

they all look 4 it
some just dont know how to find it

Last edited:
•••
What the hell are you talking about generalization? Of course some domains have low renewals prices, Im talking to domainers, I assume you all are not idiots so I don't have to explain normal renewal prices. I don't need you to explain how premium domains work to me. It has only been recent where registrars are charging $1,000 renewal prices. Understand whats written before responding.
I am talking about gross generalization, because you are doing exactly that. In your initial post, you are complaining about high renewal prices of new gTLDs, like if all of them would be for premium pricing of $1,000 / year. And this is definitely not true.

It is also not true that it has been only recently that registrars are charging $1,000 / year for some premium domain names. It has been like this since 2014 when first new gTLD extensions went to GA...maybe only you have noticed that recently, but it was always there :)

•••
Its simple, don't worry about the names you cant afford. Thats why they sit there available, because no one can afford them. Who cares about those names?

sure, its frustrating when you find a good name but the premium price is way high.. But just move on. You can find good names for an affordable price, but they are not served up on a silver platter. The good ones (that are affordable) are taken and you have to wait for them to drop just like the .com names.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back