Dynadot

discuss Green? .com or .org

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
I just went to hand register SavorGreen.com, but sadly:xf.frown: it was taken. Not to be deterred, I thought "green" in the context of AOC's "Green New Deal" might be worth exploring so I simply keyed the word "green" into my Google search bar, and voila! The very first page of Google had three domains with "green" in the name, but instead of .com after the name, .org was the extension. The three names on the first page of Google were;

1. GreenForAll.org
2. GreenAmerica.org
3. CityofGreen.org

Then I continued to the next two pages of Google, and I found seven more green domains with the extension .org. It's because I SavorOpportunity i'm now the owner of SavorGreen.org which led me to SavorEarth, and I'll leave it up to the reader to determine if SavorEarth is just another crappy domain like SavorManhattan:xf.wink:

Any .org investors out there? I'd be interested to know if you own any .org extensions and why. Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think .org extension do good in categories of health, social and environmental issues.

•••
I like .org..... It is trusted. Plain and simple, it is trusted. Recently, with the popularity of "decentralization", there has been more use of .org.

•••
.ORG (for organisations) has always been the first choice for Social, environmental and not for profit organisations ever since I can remember back in the mid 90's .

The practical side being you can quite openly operate on the .org and still be covering all your operating costs as an organisation and still be not-for-profit. There are no restrictions on the registration but it doesn't sit well as an extension for a commercial or for profit enterprise

The reality is today anyone with a social statement or service prefers the .org. Hence, for key-words they sell well in that context. For well financed organisations the .com then becomes purely a protective registration (or re-direct) if it can also be secured.

Successful groups tend to also pick-up the .info extension

Last edited:
•••
Unless they misuse not having a price cap, I continue to be positive re .org. Yes resale prices for comparable domains are a bit lower but the extension has shown slow but clear increase in real world use over past decade. As noted it has a lower rate of abuse and is more trusted,

I agree completely with @drsheraz that in topics like nonprofits, environment, social causes, etc it is particularly accepted. Also as @Internet.Domains has mentioned in the millenial age group in particular there is significant resistance to business globalization which may help .org to .com.

I a NOT saying .com will cease to be king, but in the areas you mention .oeg may be as good or better.

Bob

•••
.ORG (for organisations) has always been the first choice for Social, environmental and not for profit organisations ever since I can remember back in the mid 90's .

The practical side being you can quite openly operate on the .org and still be covering all your operating costs as an organisation and still be not-for-profit. There are no restrictions on the registration but it doesn't sit well as an extension for a commercial or for profit enterprise

The reality is today anyone with a social statement or service prefers the .org. Hence they sell well in that context
I agree...and the new nTLD .gives is another alternative I've used when the .org wasn't available. The key words "charity" and "philanthropy" are good words that compliment the .org extension.

•••
I realize the heart of your thread is about .org as a TLD in this niche, and not your proposed name per se, but just now I looked up dictionary definition (partly re savour vs savor was not sure if both spellings allowed) but in reading the definition of savor are you sure it is a good match for green? I guess it is one of those words we use more broadly in everyday life than formal definition. Of course SavorGreen might have meaning in an entirely different area that has been legalized recently in Canada :xf.cool:. I realize this is not an appraisal thread but savor has only thinly sold so far, 2 of them as savory (both recent). If you already have it, best wishes for it.

Bob

•••
I grabbed GreenStandards.org a few weeks back when it expired. Looks like a good name for an org for what is "green" standards, guidelines, resources etc. Put it up as "make offer". Going to hang onto it for several years, hoping for $xxxx.

"Green" .ORG domains will be a good hold for quite some time.

•••
I grabbed GreenStandards.org a few weeks back when it expired. Looks like a good name for an org for what is "green" standards, guidelines, resources etc. Put it up as "make offer". Going to hang onto it for several years, hoping for $xxxx.

"Green" .ORG domains will be a good hold for quite some time.
Hey there Jimbo...thanks for visiting my thread:xf.wink: I barely noticed you were here. Question for you, would you recommend picking up the matching .com to coexist with your .org if it were available? I know sistaKate would recommended to pick up the .com that would match a new nTLD when available. Thanks in advance for your gracious response:xf.smile:

•••
I realize the heart of your thread is about .org as a TLD in this niche, and not your proposed name per se, but just now I looked up dictionary definition (partly re savour vs savor was not sure if both spellings allowed) but in reading the definition of savor are you sure it is a good match for green? I guess it is one of those words we use more broadly in everyday life than formal definition. Of course SavorGreen might have meaning in an entirely different area that has been legalized recently in Canada :xf.cool:. I realize this is not an appraisal thread but savor has only thinly sold so far, 2 of them as savory (both recent). If you already have it, best wishes for it.

Bob
Not sure if you noticed, but according to DNgeek AppleGreen.com just sold at Sedo for $56,000. This may add a little credibility to SavorGreen.org In this case, both words, "savor" and "green" lend themselves to social and liberal causes.

Interesting this definition of "Savory" from Webster;

Definition of savory
(Entry 1 of 3)

: having savor: such as
a : piquantly pleasant to the mind - a savory triumph

I think I mentioned I'm meeting tomorrow with the owner of the domain Savoury.com in NOVA aka Northern Virginia. I can't wait to meet the guy. And thinking of something "piquantly pleasant to the mind", I just registered SavorHigh.com to go with my "Savor" portfolio that now consists of 22 domains.

•••
Back