Dynadot

Governmental laws and international federation laws.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Amsuna

Impact
Hello there
I have a question regarding Domains gTLDs .com vs .org although I've been searching the net for a clear answer but I didn't find any clear one , If I would register for a .com when my site is a nonprofit organization will this put me into trouble with any sort of governmental law issues or some world wide international federation ?
Will i be forced to pay some sort of fees ( e.g Taxes, penalties ) ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its best to also claim the .org and redirect the .com to the .org ! :D

•••
No. You are free to own a .com while a government body or anybody else for that matter owns the .org. As long the name is not trademarked you have no cause for concern.

•••
.com and .org can be used by any business type - you don't need to be a commercial entity to use a .com and you don't need to be a nonprofit (or any other type of organization) to use a .org. There are no restrictions on usage.

•••
I've been told that the only TLDs stilll "regulated" are .gov and .edu , Some countriesTLDs are also regulated as well as new TLDs ... .edu might be open now too, some country tlds are too

There *was* a time a few years ago where to get a .org you had to show paperwork, but they no longer ask for it.

That makes me wonder, is it up to "Them" to decide and then next day they change their minds ? what if they chaned their minds again and ask site owners once again to provide papeerwork .... I searched the net for some articles here and trhere to explain to me who is beind all these regulations and what are their bnoundries and ours ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back