Dynadot

advice Got offer for well-performing parked domain—sell?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Shayne

Established Member
Impact
Hey Domainers!

I got an offer of $500 on for this .com domain that performs not bad on Bodis parking.

Should I sell? How much does it worth?
What is the general formula for selling domains?

Here are Bodis's stats for this domain:
upload_2021-7-1_10-17-52.png

Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No reason to sell I guess... if it keeps helping with the cashflow let it continue.. ask some amount that seems outrageous to you

•••
Check where the domain gets its traffic and why there is a decline in traffic in the last two months.
If domain has lost its main source of traffic, there is a chance that in a couple of months it won't be worth a cent.

Also, don't forget that the domain is a .com.
You should check whether the domain has a value to someone for reasons other than parking. There is a chance that the previous owner might want it back (and, yes, some people might take 1-2 years to realise they want their domain back again)

In short,
before you decide to sell, try to understand why someone might want your domain and price it accordingly. I bet the domain has a meaningful name value and that's why you got a $500 offer straight away.

•••
Depends on your "financial" goals. Would you rather re-invest the $500 to buy another few names to resell or keep the cashflow, provided it is guaranteed to continue like it has.
Or if it's a great 2-word domain, why not counter-offer with $3000?

•••
Thank you all for your advice 🙌

@Hypersot, exactly my thoughts. The main reason I'm thinking about selling is the decline in traffic and revenue.
I too, think that in 6-12 months, it won't perform well in paking.

I researched about it and it seems that it used to be a blog but only in its beginning, it looks like they gave up at some point.

The name is 2 short words before “academy” and I guess it can be meaningful for some people in that specific niche. I think the offer is more about the name than something else.

I think I will send a counter offer of 3 times the original offer and we’ll go from there.

Last edited:
•••
@Shayne

you are correct, the domain has a good social media presence which makes the 'old owner wanting the domain back' the most probable case. Basically, if you search your domain with quotes "" , a vast majority of the backlinks come from pinterest.

Now, here is the catch,
if the potential buyer is really the previous owner, they most probably have control over the social media presence which means that,
if you don't reach an agreement, they might probably get another domain, replace your name with the new one so you will both lose the traffic AND the sale.

I think you should consider selling it close to the offer.
Ofc, domaining involves risking a bit but I'm not sure the odds are with you in this case.

Last edited:
•••
@Hypersot, thank you for looking into it, I appreciate it!

I agree with you what you say about if they have the control about the social media presence.
They can change the domain, but they will have to go manually and edit each pin and change the domain which can be a lot of work if you have thousands of pins.

For some reason I have a feeling it's not the old owner who wants the domain back but it might be, of course.

Any way, I already sent a counter offer of $1500.
So we'll see how thinks are developing.

Last edited:
•••
One in the hand is worth two in the bush. Take the money and run for the hills.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back