NameSilo

Googleous.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am not an expert and most of the thing I know now about Domain Names I have learned here (great Namepros!)

I am very careful when it is matter of TMs and before I reg googleous I followed a reasoning.

I also read many post about tm issues and it seems to me to have understand that to incour in serious trouble it mostly depend from the use of a name.
So the thread may seem pointless but with googleous I wanted to go a little ahead and I found it could be even considered a case a part, for the following considerations:

1) It is not comparable to a typo.
2)It is completely another word more precisely it is an adjective, like fury- furyous, fame- famous etc.
3)It is an invention, infact the term doesn't exist before but in our days it make sense, a lot.
(instead google it is not an original creation, it exist before it was used for the search engine, they just used in clever way,popularity made the rest.
4)it is a new invented term
(I could even have some right to claim an intellectual property on it , of course in the hypotesis I am so luck that it become popular enough, but who knows? )
5) it has a cultural valence, because it is a representation
of how the new technologies have an impact on our society.(Sorry, here I cant' find the more appropriate words to build a more decent definition , maybe someonelse could do it better)

I tryed to analyze this word like if it was not mine, the most objectively I could.

I appreciate your comments and opinions, whatever they are, if professionally and technically oriented.

Are these argumentations sustainable?
Is there some weak point you see, not just about my reasoning but for TM issues, too.
Is there is something I left out ?

Many thanks !

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Genial, if ever google does take the domain name away from you, don't bother
complaining about it there.

After all, you've been given honest feedback you apparently didn't want.

•••
jberryhill said:
I also take offense to being called Labrocca's "friend". And I take offense to DNQuest taking offense at your taking offense to his offensiveness.

haha...I got a good belly laugh out of that one.

I think we are done with this guy. He has his own ideas anyways. He can say these forums are green all day long but they look blue to the rest of us. Good luck bro...you are gonna need it. Not only is your name in poor legal position but the idea you have for a site is rather atrocious. I still can't be sure what you think you will do with a site that's googleous. I almost hope it's successful. Then google will go after you and smack you back a few notches. It won't be the first time that's happened. :)

Enjoy and boy this threads been fun fun fun.

•••
He can say these forums are green all day long but they look blue to the rest of us.

blue?! they only look green to me. my eyes are firmly set on the reputation biscuits. i cant see anything else. :lol:

•••
Now, THAT'S funny! lol

jberryhill said:
Because Microsoftation, Coca-Colated, Xeroxiting, and Volkswagoneer were already taken.

Oy.

Sheesh, I agree.. it's threads like this that made me stop doing appraisals, lol. Some people apparently just will not listen.. :-/

jberryhill said:
Can you explain to me what is unethical about expressing the opinion that your contrived justification for registering a domain name containing Google as its primary component would not stand a chance of prevailing if challenged?

You asked for opinions. You got them. Whether you like them is your problem.

•••
Sorry for you guys but the girl(even if she's manic) has beated you all. No doubt.

She is the only one who made a pertinent comment, properly focused on the subject, the rest of you are talking about something else,completely out (of head?)

She said:
I think Google is still much to young to be considered a genericized trademark... so your "neologism theory" while a good attempt, might have to be placed on the shelf for several years.

Also, don't be fooled into confusing a very popular, or well know tm for a genericized trademark. A tm doesn't automatically become generic because it's popular.

Only I don't understand what the last affirmation implies.
What is the difference between popular and generic trademark, in such scenario ?
Is it generic referred to an original name, intended like an invention, a term that doesn't exist before, not in that form at least (like coca-cola or google itself) that become so popular to become generic? (or better : generically used to identify a specific product?) Is it that?

Someone once said...
It is not important what they say, but that they talk about it :)

•••
take it like the term "windows" ... no doubt microsoftation owns the trademark for the name, but that doesnt stop the X Windows system or the innumerable windows managers on Linux based systems to come up and prosper.

[on a side note, have a look at this article: http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3311641 ...] here you have Lindows and Windows locked in a tussle ;)

google is not yet synonymous with search. In fact their recent forays into non-search based web applications like email and IM etc may very well reduce the chances of google being thought of as synonymous with search. (like how we say : I googled this, and lets google that and check ...... )

I guess just put up the site that you have in mind (spend about 3-4 days on it), and see what happens. At the most, you'll have to take down the site and hand back the domain to google... so fine... you'll learn something first-hand.... then go out on the World Wide Web and blog, blog, blog on how google took away your domain. what better way to get well known in the blogosphere ;) :lol:

so there you are !! if you're willing to think positive, there's something positive in everything !

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back