IT.COM

debate Google VS End User --- SEO Perspective

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Konga

Top Member
Impact
If you are about to open a new business for example, a pizza place in New York and of course you will not find NewYorkPizza .com available so what is your second best option? would you register newyork.pizza if it was available or newyorkpizza.us? which would you think will rank higher in Google considering both sites have the same quality backlinks, content and other factors. for the sake of the argument lets say also that .us and .pizza are new and both don't have a lot of established sites.

Or you will simply ignore the traffic and go with a brandable .com and why?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would like to choose pizza.nyc
Is extension really having a influence on ranking?

•••
I would like to choose pizza.nyc
Thanks Andy. I know .nyc extension is available and shorter than .pizza but am asking just as an example. like also creative.wedding or creativewedding.in
.com will rank higher than anything else i think. I am hoping to know from this thread if a keyword is the extention itself will it play a huge factor in ranking or not at all

•••
I have not seen what I would consider authoritative evidence that the extension makes any difference for SEO. Exact match domains worked for a while, but the fun went out of the mini-site business when that changed. These days I think it is almost all about inbound links.

•••
I have not seen what I would consider authoritative evidence that the extension makes any difference for SEO. Exact match domains worked for a while, but the fun went out of the mini-site business when that changed. These days I think it is almost all about inbound links.

don't forget 'quality content'

•••
Without the links, quality content just sits there. In spite of what the marketers would have you believe most content is just reworded or re-mixed from other sources. New insights, awesome content, etc. are hard to find. From what I see, most of the big names had one or two good insights that resonated with their audience and they milk that for years.

•••
Re: the gTLD vs .com SEO debate, if the content that people want / best serves the searcher is on a gTLD and Google penalizes that site for it, would Google be doing their job? Doing this type of thought experiment leads me to believe that their will be no penalty for gTLDs.

•••
As long as you are planning to use unique content and make quality incoming links, I will be happy to use a brandable .com instead of .pizza or .us.

HINT: Don't forget the power of SOCIAL MEDIA.

TIP: If someone take SEO marketing 'really' seriously then for a situation like this, I would go with a brandable .com for the main business site, and use exact match domains to create lead gen sites. Of course there's a "better and safer" way of doing it but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they do/supervise their SEO themselves.

•••
Most end users are going to just reg some $10 domain and rank it with Google Adwords.

•••
Most end users are going to just reg some $10 domain and rank it with Google Adwords.

I don't understand your comment. Can you expand on it?

•••
•••
I understand using AdWords to drive traffic, but his comment seems to imply some SEO benefit from AdWords. That would be news to me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back