Domain Empire

Google Toolbar eliminates type-in traffic!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Found this interesting article, what do you all think about this?.

"Google seem to have taken a big leap towards complete totalitarianism and dictatorship with one of their latest features.

I don’t know whether you have noticed an interesting feature of the latest Google Toolbar. The latest version of the Toolbar introduces the Address Bar Browse by Name feature.

Browse by Name helps you find a site even when you don’t know its URL. Just type the site name into your browser address bar, and Toolbar will take you there automatically. For instance, try typing “oxford” into the address bar to go directly to the university’s home page at www.ox.ac.uk.

The Google Toolbar Address Bar Browse By Name feature works by leveraging Google’s SERP results. If for example you enter “football” into the Toolbar Address field, you will be directly taken to www.nfl.com because nfl ranks #1 for the term “football” in Google’s SERPs. All the other competitor websites will not get a look-in.

What’s interesting is that this tool basically completely eliminates the possibility of type-in traffic for anyone that utilizes the bar for their searches. And more importantly from a user’s perspective, it reduces the search experience to a blind following of Google’s SERP results.

How?

While this tool might be intended to work against cyber-squatting by making sure typos of popular domain names do not get any traffic, it is introducing heavy consequences that directly affect both domain owners and Toolbar users.

Domain owners are affected as follows: if you own football.com and someone types “football” into a normal IE or FF browser, by convention, you expect them to be taken to your domain football.com. What the Google Toolbar Address feature does is it negates this effect and leverage its SERPs results instead - for all Toolbar users that use the Address feature for browsing.

Ok. Consequence of change you might say.

However, the Toolbar implicitly affects its users as well. In the past, by providing the Toolbar Google have enabled us to search for terms directly, without going to Google.com. With this new feature they are limiting our search options by selecting results for us.

If I am searching for sites with the term “football” I certainly don’t want Google to decide what site I will see. I want a selection of results as defined by the mere definition of search engine results.

What’s next? Google’s affiliation with Firefox might mean they will make this feature permanent in the FF browse url? Maybe they should just decide what terms we should search for next?!?"

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Another plot of Google's global domination. Thanks alot for this article, its great! There is more scary stuff about google at www.google-watch.org

•••
Uh oh! This will make people actually NEED 1st in google instead of want.

•••
•••
This is nothing new. AOL had such a feature long ago that did something similar.

•••
This has been around for ages with Firefox. For example, if you type "[Something here] IMDB" it will take you to that page. It doesn't change the fact that people will always (at least in the foreseeable future) type X.com.

•••
peter@flexiwebhost said:
This is nothing new. AOL had such a feature long ago that did something similar.

I agree. I've seen variations of this for 10 years now. When Netscape was the dominant browser there was talk of this happening and I think at one point they flirted with it. Then when IE took over MS directed key words entered into the browser line to its advertisers, and everyone thought MS had commandeered the browser line.

It will make little difference. People are becoming more and more educated about keying directly into the browser, and they are learning what they need to key in to get to what they want (eg either www.xxx.com or xxx.com).

The one thing Google and MS can't get around is people being able to key addresses into the broswer line. No doubt they wish they could

.. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back