IT.COM

information Google says keywords in the TLD part of your URL are ignored for ranking purposes

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sutharshan

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
But if a certain website is determined to be more relevant because of it's TLD it CAN rank higher for specific keywords (or lower).

??? What does that even mean?
Of course if a site TRIES to rank for something they stand a better chance of ranking than the site that doesn't (assuming they know what they're doing)

It is a play of words and everyone including yourself is saying a lot without saying much at all.

No, relevancy and ranking are different things. Pages are indexed for relevant entities when they're crawled. When a search is done, relevant entities are found, then ranked in context of the query.

TLD's must be taken into account for relevancy in navigational searches. If I type Widgets Com into the search box, there's a good chance that's navigational and I'm looking for a site widgets dot com. The odds of it being a navigational query go down if its a phrase that's normally used for informational or transactional searches.

- Short exact match GTLDs (i.e. category killers) can be used for SEO purposes.
- Short exact mact category killers are often 10 to 100x more expensive in .com than their GTLD equivalent (especially before).
If you're talking left of the dot, I agree. What we're debating is the part right of the dot.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
•••
what enlytend said. If you search for keyword + extension of course you have a very high chance of showing up unless it is a competitive phrase.

I see this all the time with my parked pages. They are so weak in google that searching for the keywords won't show them. If I add a .com to the query they will usually show up first.

You can't conclude from that Exact.Match will rank as well as ExactMatch.com

As for algo secrecy. It goes both ways. We can claim anything we want to. If Google say Yes it's No and vice-versa.

If it were so easy to do just the opposite of what Google say people would have figured it out by now and Google would have to change that strategy.

The same is true for the exact match boost. If all nGTLD give you an exact match advantage.then everyone can get their .gdn, .onl, .xyz and hundreds others. If everyone has that advantage it isn't an advantage anymore and Google would soon have to adjust their algo accordingly.

Last edited:
•••
Google’s John Mueller confirmed yesterday in a Google Hangout that keyword-rich TLDs, such as the new top-level domains that have keywords in them — like .LIVE, .NEWS, .ATTORNEY and so on — do not count for ranking purposes. Mueller said Google completely ignores that for ranking purposes.
http://searchengineland.com/google-says-keywords-tld-part-url-ignored-ranking-purposes-251971

that may be google's opinion but having tested out a new gtld
that has a single keyword as its domain and a separate keyword as its new .gtld
when the new gtld is typed in to google search engine eg the new gtld domain without the dot
eg? google.search would be a new gtld? for example etc

if a person types google search in to google google.search would be top of search engine rankings
{organic seo} unless another website was called exactly the same name with an aged domain already at the top of google rankings {organic seo}

as i said i know as i tested a new gtld to see if the new keyword gtld did rank in google rankings as the keyword {and it does}

which means more businesses will be buying new gtld's for seo purely to gain higher google ranking using the new industry keyword gtld's which will save them a fortune in ppc ad $'s and it will probably be cheaper for businesses to pay a lot more for a domain because of ist gtld keyword organic seo value to their business

thinking about it i'm not so sure google would want people to realise that keyword gtlds do rank in google rankings as it would reduce considerably their ppc ad $'s

•••
In regards to competitive searches.
Ranking for SEO was more fruitful before google started adding more and more ads to their listing results, and will most probably continue the trend.

So ranking first in organic is now comparable to ranking #4 or worse in cases they list other options like places etc.

Last edited:
•••
if a person types google search in to google google.search would be top of search engine rankings
{organic seo} unless another website was called exactly the same name with an aged domain already at the top of google rankings {organic seo}

as i said i know as i tested a new gtld to see if the new keyword gtld did rank in google rankings as the keyword {and it does}
It doesn't work that way.

How competitive was the phrase? How strong are the competing sites?
Was it also on your page? Like in the page title?
Did you have personalization shut off when you checked it?

No business wants to rank for just one keyword. Buying domains and setting up unique sites for every relevant keyword would be a huge waste of resources. Linking them all to your main site risks a doorway page penalty.

PPC ads appear above search results, even if you rank for something organically you can get better results if you bid on it too.

•••
•••
It doesn't work that way.

How competitive was the phrase? How strong are the competing sites?
Was it also on your page? Like in the
page title?
Did you have personalization shut off when you checked it?

No business wants to rank for just one keyword. Buying domains and setting up unique sites for every relevant keyword would be a huge waste of resources. Linking them all to your main site risks a doorway page penalty.

PPC ads appear above search results, even if you rank for something organically you can get better results if you bid on it too.

I didn't say it was a competitive ranking although domain is a one word
(dictionary word) in a decent gtld

But for example my media.careers should get quite high up in the phrase media careers if I was to make it a website

That too is a one word (dictionary word) and gtld

Until the gtlds etc not many people wanted to rank for com but as more and more people try to get ranked for the gtld part of their domain I reckon we'll see more gtlds at the top of Google in their respective categories

•••
Like penguin n panda, u never know when Google would roll out an update pigeon or parrot announcing that keyword TLDs would be given more weightage than their .com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back