IT.COM

news Google is creating a network of balloons in the atmosphere

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
About two thirds of the world's population still lacks reliable internet connectivity. Satellite internet has helped to bring internet to remote locations, but it's very expensive and tends to have quite a few caveats. However, Google has brought a new solution to the table: balloons.

By floating a large number of balloons high in the atmosphere--about halfway to outer space--Google was able to provide internet connectivity to remote locations in the Southern Hemisphere. The balloons use radios to communicate with each other and ground stations, passing data along until it reaches the wired internet.

Google has an official page for the project, but I recommend reading the Wikipedia article, as it provides key details that are missing from Google's website.

The balloons are quite large and made of very thin, strong, transparent plastic.

Google_Loon_Balloon_close_up.jpg

Google_Loon_-_Launch_Event.jpg

This balloon is a small fraction of its final size; the gas inside will expand significantly as it rises through the atmosphere, filling the entire balloon:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I read about this about a year ago when I did an article on one of my sites about Google wanting to help the 2/3rd's of the planet that don't have internet access. They had just bought Titan Aerospace to use high altitude drones to also help provide internet access to those who don't have it.

It seem Google and Facebook are both trying to extend their reach by getting internet access to those who don't currently have it.

Interesting stories though. An arms race to provide internet access. ;)

•••
I hope this isn't one of those Google hoaxes. :)

•••
•••
•••
It's not, they have been working on it for a while and have had balloons in the air already doing testing. They have alrea
skynet .... :ahhh:
RUN FOR YOU LIFE JOHN!!! Google is helping the Terminators!!!

google_skynet.jpg

•••
I really appreciate your post about Google Loon project, to be honest before read this post i was completely uneducated about this latest project. However it is really great idea and very helpful for those internet users who don't have access in far away from cities. I am going to write about this new project on my article.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back