IT.COM

news Google Ends PageRank: All Domains Now 0 PR.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Shocking news for authority domain buyers: Google Pagerank is 0 for all domains
Zsolt Bikadi April 18, 2016

After 3 years of frozen state, Google Pagerank died forever during the weekend. Obviously it still exists, hidden in Google’s databases as one of the most important ranking factor but there is no way anymore to check the Pagerank of a domain:

• Pagerank toolbar shows 0 for all domains
  • Google Pagerank API (toolbarqueries.google.com) returns 0 for all domains
There are domainers who collected thousands of aftermarket domains with high Pagerank, the value of their portfolio dropped significantly during this weekend or at least harder to sell. Domainers, SEO experts and well-known online businesses bought high Pagerank domains (PR5-PR8) in regular basis for 4-5 figures in auctions with many participating bidders.

Read more http://domain.tips/shocking-news-for-authority-domain-buyers-google-pagerank-is-0-for-all-domains/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's been coming for years now, hasn't been updated for ages and most people look for DA, PA and MOZ trust / rank as well as Situation / Trust flow from Majestic. I'm actually quite happy that it's gone, now people can stop going on about Pagerank! :D

•••
trying to keep asymmetric information to decrease focus targeting. Once again, it points back to the clayshay response "focus on quality content not pr". However, I was checking via checkpagerank.net and it shows yahoo still 9, bing 8...While google is 0. What's up with that? Is this just a statement?

•••
Some sites have stored pr info but it will not be updated.

•••
Lol good thing I sold one of my PR2 websites few weeks ago.... :)

It was getting around 10k visits per month, having a PR2 ranking did add a little bit of clout to my sales page when I was selling the site. Even though we all know PR doesn't mean jack,... lol.

•••
PR means everything, as it used to. Except, there is no way to check the actual PR anymore, as well as the "frozen" one.

•••
PR means everything, as it used to. Except, there is no way to check the actual PR anymore, as well as the "frozen" one.
I'll take quality Links > PR anyday.

•••
I'll take quality Links > PR anyday.

That is not what I meant. The point is Google still uses PR, it just hides it from the public to reduce manipulation.

•••
That is not what I meant. The point is Google still uses PR, it just hides it from the public to reduce manipulation.

I agree. Google does the same "hiding from public" actions in different things. For example, in the past I was able to see search phrases of organic traffic in my awstats. One day Google decided to hide those from public. Since then nobody knows what are the actual ranked keywords of their websites.

•••
Today PR is just 1 of over 200 ranking factors. It's influence rather insignificant, not as strong as it used to be 5-8 years ago.

•••
PR was very inaccurate for years already. TF gives much better valuation, and what i like the most lately is Ahrefs DR, very accurate metric.

•••
Today PR is just 1 of over 200 ranking factors. It's influence rather insignificant, not as strong as it used to be 5-8 years ago.

Link equity, what it measures, is still a key factor. There are a lot of factors for ranking, but some are more important than others. Links still matter a lot.

PR was very inaccurate for years already. TF gives much better valuation, and what i like the most lately is Ahrefs DR, very accurate metric.

PR was always like checking prices in a paper catalog. It was fairly useful when it was updated every 3 months, but at the end it was like using a catalog from 2013. A lot can happen in 2 years. Expensive stuff is probably still expensive, cheap stuff is likely to still be cheap, but prices go up, prices go down, items are discontinued.

One thing 3rd party metrics DONT take into account (because they can't) is whether Google has penalized or deprecated links from a page or site - what used to come up as a gray bar. Plenty of high DA/DR domains have been heavily spammed. Domains like that are dropped when they no longer serve their purpose. TF is not foolproof - authority domains get hacked. All these metrics are fine if you're going through a big list, but you need to look beyond the numbers for a sanity check.

•••
Google bought Hassibis company (AI focused, you all read about the algorithm that has beaten the world champion at GO game) very expensive. The main reason was to use AI for improving significantly the pagerank (new name: brainrank) algo/method. But even if they didn t change the main algo (minor adjusting is an ongoing process by Google as we know) the fact is that from 2013 they keep the PR of each page secret. They obviously decided to do that to stop or at least discourage the "SEO experts" who try to manipulate the PR using blackhat,grayhat or anycolorhat techniques. They did the same with keywords from adwards, it was much easier to check keyword values before. The Google goal is the improvement of quality for the end user. So with their decision they blind these SEO people who use dubious techniques (backlink pools for example), for good reason in my opinion.
I don t know if this is good or bad news for the domainers. People so far buy or sell domains considering the PR of 2013, which may be much different from the actual PR (the day they buy/sell) and only God (google,that is) knows it.
It's good news for the users for sure. About webmasters, they encourages them to spend more time (or money) for improving the content and quality of their website than pay third parties (SEO companies).
PR or (BR or whatever new name google will give) is very important. It is generally believed that the three top factors for google results are:
1) How relative is the keyword(s) that user searches at googe engine with your content (basic html) of your page
2) PR
3) how fast the page is loading (ttfb basically, time to first byte, but also the total time the time needed for the page to been downladed )

The calculation is linear. That means that if google consider 200 factors f , they don t treat them equally. Some basic math: totalscore = a1*f1+a2*f2+a3*f3+....+a200*f200. The a1,a2,...a200 are constants. Well, Google changes them when they do adjustments but that's another story (the time they change something, the threads at SEO forums getting more active, the people are screaming how they lost first page results while they didn't change anything etc etc). The f1,f2,...,fn are the scores that the webpage has. For example, f1 will be high fow w3schools pages when the user searches for "learn HTML" and zero when the user searches "adult" keywords. We know that a1,a2 and a3 are big numbers compared to a4,...a200 , so they all focus on these. Google wants to force people publishing quality content , so believes that giving a hard time to people who target to raise f2 score (=PR) will force them to improve the other factors (f1 basicaly, content).
I apologize for the large post. All these are well know from the most people, I m posting just for refreshing.

•••
The main reason was to use AI for improving significantly the pagerank (new name: brainrank) algo/method. .

RankBrain is NOT the "new" page rank. They are 2 completely different things.

Page Rank is an assessment of the importance of a page based upon the links pointing to it.

Googles own description is quoted here:
http://searchengineland.com/what-is-google-pagerank-a-guide-for-searchers-webmasters-11068

RankBrain is technology for processing user queries to better understand and answer the intent behind the query, rather than just parse the words the searcher used.

This article explains rankbrain et al
http://searchengineland.com/faq-all-about-the-new-google-rankbrain-algorithm-234440

Google recently stated that the 3 most important ranking factors are:

• Links & Content (they won't say which of the two was more important)
  • RankBrain
BUT RankBrain is something THEY do, not something you "optimize" for.

Page speed may not be all that critical, based on recent comments by Googles John Mueller and Gary Illyes. It appears to negatively affect you if your page is very slow, but no brownie points for being the fastest.

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-dont-worry-too-much-about-page-speed-21976.html

But, do your own experiments if you want to know for sure.

They did the same with keywords from adwards, it was much easier to check keyword values before.

Adwords users DO get full keyword data. Best way to do keyword research: sink some cash into Adwords and find out what people really search for ;).

•••
RankBrain is NOT the "new" page rank.

That shouldn't be a problem. It's a good thing that PageRank is gone. Many domainers were complaining about its flaws. If Google's closing of PageRank tells us anything, it's "quality over quantity".

•••
I think they regretted sharing it as soon as the page rank "economy" of buying and selling links for PR sprang up around it. A link is supposed to be a "vote" for the page from a 3rd party. Voting for yourself defeats the purpose, which is why they deprecate and penalize links if they are convinced that you made them yourself (or bought them.)

•••
I wonder how this impacts the nofollow/dofollow?
I suspect these tags are still important for reputation cues.
Even if PR is not directly measurable.
I have to assume Google will still use many of the same factors we would imagine would indicate quality sites/content. Any thoughts?

•••
I think they regretted sharing it as soon as the page rank "economy" of buying and selling links for PR sprang up around it. A link is supposed to be a "vote" for the page from a 3rd party. Voting for yourself defeats the purpose, which is why they deprecate and penalize links if they are convinced that you made them yourself (or bought them.)

Yes, this is the point. That's why google wants to blind seo people hiding the PR. About domainers, my opinion is that it is bad for those who bought domains considering basically the PR and not the name of the domain and still have them (didn't sell). For those that bought domains based on the quality of domain these news are not bad. As I am a newbie don't lean much on my opinion though. Maybe a high PR means some domains still have many (or quality) backlinks, which is a big plus.

•••
I wonder how this impacts the nofollow/dofollow?
I suspect these tags are still important for reputation cues.
Even if PR is not directly measurable.
I have to assume Google will still use many of the same factors we would imagine would indicate quality sites/content. Any thoughts?

No bearing on them whatsoever. The page rank we're talking about was a number Google published for OUR benefit, which had become useless because it wasnt updated in years. See my blog post - https://www.namepros.com/blog/pagerank-is-gone-now-what.939934/. THEY still generate and use their real-time internal page rank calculations, as always.

•••
•••
So there is no way to know PR?

•••
There are probably records of PR left. But with questions of credibility aside, what would you do with a database that isn't being updated or maintained?

•••
•••
How could you know something that doesn't exist?

PR still exist... in that google still has a page ranking system established. It is just not measurable how it has been traditionally. A page performance can still be predicted by some of the same factors such as age, incoming links, and quality of those links. Google must use these factors still... They're just trying to keep information away.

•••
We all saw that coming. Now PR is officially dead but Google might still use it. You can check the last records here for free - PR Eyedomain

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back