Dynadot

Google Dance

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

navpros

Geaux Tigahs!Account Closed
Impact
Ok, I have purchased books, read articles in magazines, and spent countless hours on the computer reading information about the google dance. But, I still have one question I cannot seem to find a direct answer for: "When and how often does google dance?"

I have read that it is "continuous", "quarterly", and "monthly".

Does anyone know the answer?

I would like an idea of "when" so that I can watch my PR closely.

If it goes unchanged, then that will signal to me that I need more incoming links etc. Granted, I do not have that many currently, but makes no difference if I have no idea if the few incoming links I have are making any difference.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Depending on your PR (e.g. PR 7), it can be several times per day.
0 PR will have no googledance.

•••
Originally posted by kash88888

Kash, now I am really getting confused. Let's say I am at a current PR2. (which is correct). I establish 20-40 good, relative link exchanges from other PR5-8 sites within the next 12 hours. So my PR should update within 24-48 hours perhaps to a PR3-5 maybe? If that is the case that would contradict everything that I have read.

I understand the concept behind PR but what I am still not clear on is when I could expect my PR to increase if I "bust" my tale and establish some quality inbound links from other relative sites with higher PR than I. I was under the impression that there is a more "complex" dance that takes place and it is during this time that your PR, and rankings etc within the search results would/could see an improvement. Of course, PR would also play a role in that.

Hmm....

•••
Originally posted by kash88888

I think you are referring to google's regular spidering.

The dance is a specific event that happens close to once per month. The next one should be in the next few days.

•••
Right Sharpy, the google dance is something different.
It use to happen about every 36 days or 10 time per year, however, Google has changed their methods to something much more seamless and less dramatic. You can see basic changes weekly now and more major changes monthly.

These are all estimates and you'll never find a "for sure" answer because Google wont tell anyone anything about their process.
You generally know something is going on when you notice your PR and results fluctuates up or down or whatever.

•••
Hmm..I just read something similar to what identity_00 mentioned in my copy of "Google Hacks" which I picked up at the bookstore. There is a fantastic chapter which goes into detail regarding some of the methods and timeframes used at google for indexing. PR of course is at the top of that list but it seems that the PR can, in fact, change at any given time and does not specifically rely on one "major" cycle of events.

However, something else which has me stumped is that I cannot figure out why dandydomain.com shows "0" google links when I know for a fact that I have several PR5 sites linking back to me.
It is my understanding that as long as one of the sites has any PR that I should, in fact, show a linkback when I do a "search" on # of incoming links. One of the things I have noticed is that when I check link stats at "startname.com" for instance their is a BIG difference from what is shown at "marketleap". Can anyone tell me why the variation? I am assuming that has to do with exact url such as "http://www.dandydomain.com" and partial url such as "dandydomain.com".

This whole PR business is confusing but thankfully I am learning a bit each day and I quite certain I will put this knowledge to good use.

Thanks to all of you great folks at namepros of course. :)

Oh and not to overwhelm everyone with questioning, but a good majority of the links I see coming in when I do a marketleap search at http://www.marketleap.com/publinkpop/default.htm are links from domain forums and links to "threads". (Which I absolutely hate forum spidering...but that is another story.)

I am concerned as to why I am seeing mainly thread results from those links when I fact I believe I should see at least one link that specifically show the dandydomain.com site details.

If you are uncertain what I am referring test the marketleap link I provided above, type in www.dandydomain.com, and click on any of the 14 results their and almost ALL of them are forum threads.

Why is it that after 1 month I see hardly anything that specifically says "Dandy Domain / Buy, Sell, Register Domain Names and more. http://www.dandydomain.com"?

I am obviously doing something wrong somewhere but cannot figure it out. Check alexa and it shows traffic ank results for today of 140,000. I am getting decent traffic from certain key phrases but somewhere, somehow, I feel that I could do a whole lot more.

Last edited:
•••
No matter how high of a PR any website has your site will only be recognized with the PR of where your link sits. If there is more than 18 outgoing links on a PR6 pg google will not recognize the others, as well getting back to the dance

Google is updating daily and you can visit http://www.seochat.com/googledance to check if and when your results are changing.

But an index shuffle happens approx every 40 days this includes drops, new sites, and any changes within existing sites.

•••
Thanks for that link adsense. :)

•••
•••
As you will contiue to see dandy there are no shortage of experts on google and how it works. The more questions you ask, the more preposterous, rediculous answers you will get. And google just loves it. Can you imagine the google tech's reading forums around the net. They probably have a forum or two where they compete to post the most bazzar theories on how pr/dance etc works.

keep plug'n away

•••
Originally posted by Sharpy
As you will contiue to see dandy there are no shortage of experts on google and how it works. The more questions you ask, the more preposterous, rediculous answers you will get. And google just loves it. Can you imagine the google tech's reading forums around the net. They probably have a forum or two where they compete to post the most bazzar theories on how pr/dance etc works.

keep plug'n away

LOL. Yeah, but no matter how preposterous, rediculous they may be it is still more than I have to go on at the moment.
I am slowly but surely getting a better idea of what is going on.
Going to take some more time, but hopefully soon I will be able to provide everyone with my own theory. ;)

Thanks to eveyone for the all the help.

•••
Sharpy:.....Who told you about the secret forums for the most bizarre theories.... Now that you have inadvertantly announced that information you will have to be neutalized. ( Its The Google way to deal with people like you ) Sharpy is lying there is not a forum for any techs at google about the bizarre and stupid. She just made it all up...Now go back to optimizing your websites and we will have no more talk about such sillyness.

Bad Sharpy LOL I couldnt resist

•••
Would be nice to know. For my new site (I recently changed domains about six weeks ago), google is visiting almost daily and hitting all pages (small site). Still, I'm not listed in google. Yet. I've been working on links as well and checking daily. It's frustrating to know google is hitting my site daily, but still not in their index. On the other hand, it's very rewarding to know they are hitting it daily! Sort of a love/hate google thang :D

Here are some other tools I use:

http://www.mcdar.net/dance/index.php

http://www.bruceclay.com/web_rank.htm
(on this one, scroll down to "Step 1 - Identify Your Competition" and enter your full domain and then your keywords. This allows you to check multiple search engines)

•••
I am telling the honest truth. Any virgin site I upload is indexed, in Google, the next day, without exception.

•••
I need some google love Sharpy! Help a poor soul in need!!

They visit daily, but no index. I have to get past the "google window shopping." :D

•••
What is the site's url Wade?

•••
Hi Sharpy,

The url is: http://www.designurl.com

I bought it from Richie (DomainBlasters) a while back to replace my previous domain.

Tried to make sure I did everything correctly. No hokie pokey, wc3 validated for html and css.

Thanks for taking a look!

•••
the "google dance" (at it relates to reranking sites and updating the index monthly) phenomenon has pretty much ended.

The index is updated more frequently now, and it's not on the "schedule" it once was.

The update of "PageRank" (that little green bar) is sort of on a monthly schedule, although this is also less defined.

PageRank can sometimes take a couple of weeks to a few months to update. Since a lot of it depends on already indexed sites having links to your site on high PR pages, this can also vary greatly.

Some sites/domains are "banned" from google PR updates. These sites can never have above a PR0 and may not show up in the google SERPS.

This could even be something that you have no control over if the past owner of the domain did some spammy search engine stuff and got the domain banned.

Also, PR doesn't have the same value on the search engine rankings as it used to. Because of the manipulation of PR (buying and selling high PR links), I think google has devalued PR in its algorythm. This is evidenced by some high PR6,PR7 pages not ranking well for their targeted keywords.

Last edited:
•••
Originally posted by rb
the "google dance" (at it relates to reranking sites and updating the index monthly) phenomenon has pretty much ended.

The index is updated more frequently now, and it's not on the "schedule" it once was.

The update of "PageRank" (that little green bar) is sort of on a monthly schedule, although this is also less defined.

PageRank can sometimes take a couple of weeks to a few months to update. Since a lot of it depends on already indexed sites having links to your site on high PR pages, this can also vary greatly.

Some sites/domains are "banned" from google PR updates. These sites can never have above a PR0 and may not show up in the google SERPS.

This could even be something that you have no control over if the past owner of the domain did some spammy search engine stuff and got the domain banned.

Also, PR doesn't have the same value on the search engine rankings as it used to. Because of the manipulation of PR (buying and selling high PR links), I think google has devalued PR in its algorythm. This is evidenced by some high PR6,PR7 pages not ranking well for their targeted keywords.

This is the most logical answer I have received to date. Thanks RB! This explanation seems to be sticking to some of the info I have read, although it still leaves questions. Only time will tell. I am going to take what I have learned so far, put it to good use and see what the outcome will be.

Many thanks.

•••
I can highly recommend this tool if you want to keep track of your keywords ranking in Google (from day to day), and google PR:
http://www.DigitalPoint/tools/keywords/

•••
Google only counts links with PR4 and above, I believe -

The important thing is that having a high PR really doesnt help you much. Just focus on the inbound links with the right anchor text and your set. PR is more of a fashion statement.
Its all about links, links, and links.

•••
Thanks folks, I'll check it out and thanks for all of the links. Some nice tools I was not aware of.

•••

RB is right. I do not respect PR that much... It is important for "super keywords" like 'personals' or some other one word keyword that everyone dreams about. For two and three word combos, you can get in the top 5 results with PR of 0 (or so the google bar says).

I'll let you all know a little secret. Lots of .html static pages with hundreds of words on each, with 10 or so links to your main site on each (where each link's text is a unique relevant keyword), with filenames which are in the form of keyword1_keyword2.html, with all pages at www.yoursite.com/keyword1_keyword2.html can get the main site up in the top 5 out of millions of results.. It's also better to make your main site keyword1.yoursite.com and forget altogether about the www subdomain. You need about 70 of these interconnected .html pages. Start writing one a day...

I've had success with this strategy and have been able to put at least 3 of my links in the top 10 of Google for a bunch of search terms related to one of my sites.

•••
Agreed billinchina. I have also noticed this very same thing and in fact already have a few top #10-20 results in google.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back