Google Building a Profile of you and your domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ekal

Play up Pompey!VIP Member
Impact
Interesting thread
http://www.threadwatch.org/node/10404

it appears Google has built owner profiles and is possibly using them as an element in the algo

Remember when Google became a registrar but said they weren't going to sell domain names?

How hard is it to look people up when you have the entire registrar database at your disposal?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is Google the new Big Brother?..... shhhhhhhhhhhh - they're watching us right now....

•••
yup, google is the big king.. one company to rule them all

•••
•••
They've been looking at shared hosting for a while for pagerank, looks like this is another step. . .

•••
I don't know if I think this is right or not. It's interesting though. To think that the Pagerank of your sites could be down slightly only because google knows you own a spam site, scary.

•••
Definitely Big Brother. Any CIA connections? I'll bet.

•••
Perhaps google is using the registrar info to look up the owners of domains of terrorist related sites for the CIA.....but then again I believe in aliens lol

•••
If this is the truth then there will be a new market for people who will be just offering their Whois name to boost the rank of the website. :D

SEO's will be at loss to some extent and the new industry will come into existence.

"WHOIS services for rent" :D

•••
If your domains are registrated with a reliable and trustworthy registrar then Google does not have access to your whois info if you keep it private.

Btw I have checked this with a reliable and trustworthy registrar. :)

•••
Google will never be the new Microsoft lol. With 90% of all internet users using there OS.

Google can only do so much within the law. I am sure nobody would mind taking Google to court. I am sure Microsoft would be oh so pleased to give themselves publicity as being the Good Guy.

We have not too worry.

- Steve

•••
It is not surprised that they are doing these things!!!

•••
I agree with iNod.

Google will never overtake Microsoft - In some aspects.

Remember Google Talk? I'm sure you forgot about it, but when it came out, everyone was like "Yippidy doo da Google messenger! This will take over MSN!" Well, wrong. People still sign into GTalk, and use it occasionally, but MSN still takes the cake.

Now, think about it. Let's say 5% of the internet (That might be high) are people with adequate technical knowledge. If google was to come out with an OS, I'm sure half of the 5% would switch to that. So, now they have it installed. Their friends, family, and everyone they know, eventually sees it. Now, if you're nice, you may install it for them. But then, them, and their friends, wont be able to. Not enough knowledge.
What's my point? Well, if they ever released any service that Microsoft does now, it wouldn't get far. Maybe 4% will switch, at max.

•••
I am definately a microsoft lover myself.

They have VB, VC++, .NET, in development section.
They have ASP.
They have MSSQL for databases.
They are also in games section.
They are and will be #1 in OS.
They have XBOX.
They have MSN messenger.
They now have MSN live search.
Zune this is the current hype going on.
They have IE for comepeting with other browsers.

Don't know what else they have and with whom they are competing. But one thing is for sure that they have MONEY!!!!

•••
If your domains are registrated with a reliable and trustworthy registrar then Google does not have access to your whois info if you keep it private.

Btw I have checked this with a reliable and trustworthy registrar

Interestingly, it seems from some quotes on Matt Cutts blog that if you have whois protection on, google might get suspicious and raise a potential flag against your domains. So, even if they can't get your name, simply knowing that you're hiding is more information for them.

•••
I've always been paranoid about this, which is why I use two profiles for my business websites and adsense websites. Separate hosting accounts, google accounts, whois names (no, not fake), etc.

What frustrates me is that adsense i.e. Google is the whole reason this blackhat SEO started (hi Google, yes it's me again). If they would've been more selective in accepting publishers, online advertising could have been taken more serious and less spammy than it is today.

•••
how do they look at the shared hosting?
Should buy a second hosting plan from a different hosting company to
avoid lower page rank?

hitchhiker said:
They've been looking at shared hosting for a while for pagerank, looks like this is another step. . .

•••
I've also noticed (or think I've noticed) a boost for adding sites to Google Analytics etc.

Maybe they reason that spammers won't want to open themselves up to such scrutiny.

•••
Blends said:
Definitely Big Brother. Any CIA connections? I'll bet.

I think CIA will start looking for Google connections :D

8^X google is scary ....

•••
If it were microsoft vs google...

I love google, and every thing about it so im bias towards google

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back