Domain Empire

Google and Exact Match Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Per Matt Cutts Google is thinking about "Turning the knob down within the algorithm" so that "given 2 different domains, it wouldn't help you as much to have a domain with a bunch of keywords in it"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAWFv43qubI&feature=youtu.be

(Video posted 3/7, quote starts around 2:20)

He first hinted at this at Pubcon last fall.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So less value in domain names and more in content...

•••
The Google search depends upon the keywords and dependently on the contents rather than the domain names.

•••
From my perspective, strong descriptive domain names will still have the same value before and after because those domain names can be brands on their own.

•••
I think that will be fair for everyone.

•••
Thats a good news for those who are doing seo for their website but could not get rankings because some other fellows taken the keywords in the domain name.. so its a fair deal for everyone..

•••
I think even with the update, domain names would still hold good weight because the URLs are taken into account as an entity and as a possible point of reference for the website.

•••
bad news for domain business.

•••
Why could Google trust domain matches so much?
Because they are often associated with brands which protect their trademarks more vigilantly than in the past, and there are so many domainers and so much vc money placing premiums on domain names.

•••
I think this makes sense both in long term and in the perspective of branding. Now the question is when..

•••
A real question is what actually Matt meant under "a domain with a bunch of keywords in it" - an exact match domain or simply a keyword-rich domain. I tend to believe that he was speaking about the second ones, as there's an unlimited variety of them and their share in search results is greater and overall site quality is low in general.

•••
Per Matt Cutts Google is thinking about "Turning the knob down within the algorithm" so that "given 2 different domains, it wouldn't help you as much to have a domain with a bunch of keywords in it"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAWFv43qubI&feature=youtu.be

(Video posted 3/7, quote starts around 2:20)

He first hinted at this at Pubcon last fall.

how do you know, what you think you know, is even worth worrying about?

•••
Who said anything about "worrying?"

Just passing along information about an anticipated algo change that could be relevant to the domainer community - take it or leave it or do with it as you please.

•••
Who said anything about "worrying?"

Just passing along information about an anticipated algo change that could be relevant to the domainer community - take it or leave it or do with it as you please.

i mentioned worrying

and have decided to ignore the message, but focus on the effects of it's delivery.

simply because it's irrelevant, until it actualy effects/affects anything in motion or in progress.

my point is:

any info passed along about any changes in the "status quo" causes worry, frustrations and stress.

just look at the responses:

ericsimmon said:
bad news for domain business.
renek said:
So less value in domain names and more in content...

vast said:
A real question is what actually Matt meant under "a domain with a bunch of keywords in it"

healthtourism said:
I think that will be fair for everyone.

i ain't trying to kill the messenger, just showing how some messages, send messages, which are used to further confuse, rather than clarify an existing process.

hope you feel me :)

•••
I wonder if this might hit the Domain name market. Keyword domain prices could decrease ?

•••
so will there be a great change in ranking for the existing ones

•••
The first is a brand. Users love these domains.

•••
I wish so, these days so difficult to find a exact match .com,

For some hot niches, even 5 words long dash domain was taken, like, a-b-c-d-e.com,

i have to take a dash .org, if google changes, would be better for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back