Dynadot

question GoDaddy's DRID

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi Folks,

In the argument regarding ParkLogic, I read something about DRID. What does the term DRID mean? and how does it affect domain industry.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
DRID stands for Domain Registrant ID and was created by Google about 8 years ago to help combat fraud.What some bad actors were doing is going to one parking company, pumping bad traffic, getting their account blocked and then immediately moving to another company to do the same thing. The DRID tracks the user across all companies so that if they are banned by Google they are banned everywhere.

For instance, in the case you mentioned, feedback provided to us indicated the complainant had their DRID banned at all parking providers. Some of the parking companies may still monetize the traffic but only on teir 2 but I think most would not accept the traffic.

In a nutshell, the DRID is an anti-fraud measure. I should also mention that it was also released around the same time as CAF (Custom Ad Frame) by Google where they control all the advertising on the page via javascript rather than providing an XML feed.

•••
In my honest opinion, a business that allows their ads on the Google "partner network" will experience some type of fraud. Same with the other platforms that allow ads on their partner network.

•••
DRID stands for Domain Registrant ID and was created by Google about 8 years ago to help combat fraud.What some bad actors were doing is going to one parking company, pumping bad traffic, getting their account blocked and then immediately moving to another company to do the same thing. The DRID tracks the user across all companies so that if they are banned by Google they are banned everywhere.
I'd add that it is a major privacy breach. All contact details of registrants who park domains are now disclosed to... G !

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back