IT.COM

GoDaddy - Won auction - Can I force the sale?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I bought a domain at GoDaddy auction at a " Buy Now " price and it has been paid for by credit card for quite a while now. It appears to me there is an abnormal delay in getting the delay into my account.

I checked WHOIS and the domain is actually registered at godaddy and should have been in my account relatively fast.

So what if the owner of the domain had second thoughts and decided not to sell, as in reneging on the deal. Because his domain is sitting at godaddy can I somehow force the deal?

I mean if his domain was a namesilo or something I know I would be up the creek without a paddle, but given that it's sitting at godaddy there should be a way to enforce the contract right?

Everyone please don't tag Joe from godaddy with this, he has enough on his plate without having to worry about my little problems.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey Maple

When you say "abnormal delay" how long has it been?

Was it an expired domain auction?

•••
No it was a regular listing with a buy now option, I think there was lots of time left but I picked the buy now. Been almost a week and still says processing, I could see that if at another registrar but it's sitting at GoDaddy. It should have closed by now, I don't want to lose the domain.

•••
No it was a regular listing with a buy now option, I think there was lots of time left but I picked the buy now. Been almost a week and still says processing, I could see that if at another registrar but it's sitting at GoDaddy. It should have closed by now, I don't want to lose the domain.

There is still a chance that the seller had second thoughts and decided not to sell. Godaddy would (should) theoretically close their account and refund you if that happens, but unfortunately the "buy now" purchase isn't actually a guarantee you'll get the domain.

I bought a domain through them recently at buy now and a few days later I received a message from GD saying they "had been informed by the seller that they weren't prepared to complete the transaction." Wish this couldn't happen but it does and unfortunately there's little we can do about it.

Hope you do get this one though! I would open a ticket and have them check on the status perhaps since it's been a week.

•••
I sold a few at BIN, they automatically transfered the domains to the buyer.

Last edited:
•••
Eish,..a week is a bit long but as @NameTurtle stated, if the seller does back out then the most action they could possibly take is ban the seller. Unfortunatley, they can't really do much to force the seller to complete the transaction..

•••
I sold a few at BIN, they automatically transfered the domains to the buyer.

That's what I was hoping would happen, we have a deal and GoDaddy is holding all the cards. It should just process, everyone on both ends has agreed to the TOS and GoDaddy has control of the domain. Time to enforce the contract!

•••
I think it maybe in the wrong account. If it was a godaddy to goaddy purchase, it is not a manual push, it would have pushed over on it's own.

•••
I think it maybe in the wrong account. If it was a godaddy to goaddy purchase, it is not a manual push, it would have pushed over on it's own.

That's right.

•••
That's what I was hoping would happen, we have a deal and GoDaddy is holding all the cards. It should just process, everyone on both ends has agreed to the TOS and GoDaddy has control of the domain. Time to enforce the contract!

Give them a call. If not, then go for the "chat now", but you must communicate with them

•••
Its not in the wrong account, I can clearly see it in my won folder as processing.

I will contact GoDaddy when I get home to ask them to enforce the contract.

•••
Its not in the wrong account, I can clearly see it in my won folder as processing.

I will contact GoDaddy when I get home to ask them to enforce the contract.

One last thing, in some cases you may need to "accept incoming account change" in the control panel.

anyway, good luck, hope its resolved soon

•••
Last edited:
•••
Regular auction, same place we all put our domains except it had a buy now option.

I always look at the buy now ones because its a simple click. If I think there is value there I grab it. In this case there was some intense value there.

•••
These are the three types of auctions:
Offer/Counter Offer, Offer/Counter Offer with Buy Now, or Buy Now Only

•••
•••
If you clicked "Buy Now" and it was not a $5 or whatever closeout, should be a done deal.

I'm not sure if the seller still has to accept that, but I don't believe so and it should be automatic.

I have never had to accept a domain like a push when buying in the auctions.

•••
I had always assumed it would be automatic (kind of like Afternic fast transfer) in the case like you mention both same registrar, but it seems the seller has to initiate the transfer. Is it a .ca or a .com?

"If the buyer and seller both have GoDaddy accounts, then the seller must initiate an account change. This method, also known as a registrant transfer, moves the domain name to another account at the same registrar. The domain name expiration date does not change because an account change does not include a registration extension."

I had always presumed that unless an error was made, that someone paying the BIN make the sale certain and binding. I would not be happy if sellers could withdraw because they had second thoughts. I hope GoDaddy can sort it out for you, @MapleDots !

•••
And we don't even know if the seller still owns the domain. GoDaddy doesn't really check. If I list a domain with a bin, does it get removed if I sell and push the domain? Anybody know?

•••
One thing about GD....pretty darn good phone support. :)

Except if you're from Canada. GoDaddy hates Canadians. :ROFL:

•••
And we don't even know if the seller still owns the domain. GoDaddy doesn't really check. If I list a domain with a bin, does it get removed if I sell and push the domain? Anybody know?

If you push the domain, then they send you an email "we've deleted some items for you"

If you mean delete from auction? I think you'll have to delete it yourself.

•••
•••
These are the three types of auctions:
Offer/Counter Offer, Offer/Counter Offer with Buy Now, or Buy Now Only

offer/counter offer with buy now

•••
Except if you're from Canada. GoDaddy hates Canadians. :ROFL:

Actually, their phone support is amazing, they also call me on accasion to see if they can assist me in any way. They are always asking me how they can earn the rest of my domains.

I always tell them the same thing.....

I can register cheaper than godaddy even with their domain discount club. I pay for the club and would still have to pay a buck extra per domain.

I truly do love godaddy, but when you have a ton of domains and they want a buck more I would do it because of the great service and convenience but the 60 month cost for the discount club is no benefit to me. Its a straight expense I don't need. I transfer a domain to go daddy for the absolute best rate they offer and then transfer to one of my registrars for a great rate and then to my third and then back to godaddy. The transfers are a pain but I'm probably saving about 2k a year with that system and I keep the lock codes on my spread sheet so everything is easy as pie.

•••
offer/counter offer with buy now
Now we're getting somewhere. You should have the domain then. GoDaddy does allow domains to be placed on it's auction platform that are at different registrars, but you said this domain is at GoDaddy.

With that said, I believe there may be a hitch. I would call GD for more information.

•••
Back